Alien Invasion one-page

Here's a quick one page comic.

G
Grimspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
Steve Colle
Freelance Editor

Steve Colle is a jewel in the roughSteve Colle is a jewel in the roughSteve Colle is a jewel in the rough

Nice concept for your page. Unfortunately, execution needs to be evaluated.

I'm going to point out something that you may not have considered in your design of this particular page: The direction of the reader's eye as you move from panel to panel. Where is the reader supposed to start reading?

Because you have the curve of the panel sequence on the left, this indicates that the first panel to be read would be the top right corner and then coming around the left to end at the bottom right. However, I notice that your first panel with text is the top left, the second panel in your design, which then has the text follow up with what should be Panel 1 on the top right. Visually, you need to ensure your reader is going in the right direction right from the start, not being confused as to starting point.

Textually, you're leading the reader all over the place with lettering placement and going against the proverbial grain of the page. Lead the eye in such a way that both text and image work together and not against each other, like rowing a boat along the flow of the river. Go against it and you lose your reader.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
Grimspeare

Grimspeare is on a distinguished road

Steve: yeah, you're 100% right about that. I didn't plan out my caption placement ahead of time. I'm going to tweek it this weekend and see if it can't get a better flow. Thanks.

G
Old 03-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
Grimspeare

Grimspeare is on a distinguished road

I worked on this for a little while. It's definitely not perfect, but I think it leads the eye a little bit better. Still ...

G