Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 12-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Vincent

Vincent is on a distinguished road

Sequential Pages - Pencils and Inks

This is my first time posting, so critiques are much appreciated.

More work at: http://vincentkingsart.blogspot.com/
Email: mrvincentkings@gmail.com
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
This is my first time posting, so critiques are much appreciated.
The inking style is a little hard on my eyes, but you pack some visual punch with this set of sequentials.

The art, the dialogue, and the special effects lettering all get two thumbs up from me. Good characters, normal looking people rather than disinteresting specimens of perfection. Facial expressions are good. Your characters REACT in a visually interesting way.

You open the comic with normalcy. A gated community, of all things, one that is affectionately named Quail Run. Now, how low key is that? You're setting the visual trap, by lulling the reader into a false sense of security. The dark inking on that first panel looks good. It helps that panel to contrast well against the ones that follow immediately after, ones that are much better lit by the expanse of white.

You've injected some details of the ordinary. The items on the desk, the chair and its arm, a hot cup of coffee. Your characters are enjoying dialogue. It's helpful for luring the reader into the story that you are presenting to them.

Very nice panels on page # 2, with that van crashing through the gate. I guess that it's not a gated community any longer, huh? Big Hollywood scene, there, grabbing the reader by both shoulders and just dragging them in. You've got us hook, visually. So, now, what do you intend to show us?

The alert goes out, and the spikes go up, as we enter page # 3. By God, these boys are on the job!

I don't know what's going on with the masked guys, though. Here's where this gated community starts to turn really weird. OK, I grant you, back on page # 1, it does strike me a a little odd that no new family has moved in in at least a dozen years. But, hey! What the Hell? That implies weirdness. These guys in the masks directly manifest the weirdness right before our eyes.

The conflict is verbal, at first, once the van comes to a stop.

The last page seals the deal, visually speaking. Three nice panels, there, underscoring with a deafening note of finality the end of this whole van bursts through gate scene.

The "Sorry about daddy" proved to be choice dialogue. Nice verbal icing on the visual cake.

Your inking style is like being bludgeoned over the head. The eye has nowhere to escape to, and absorbs the full impact of it. I could only swallow inking like that in doses. No way that I could read a thick graphic novel in that style. Many could, though.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
Renae De Liz
Art Wench

Renae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to behold

Very cool! you've got some great movement going on in those pages. Keep going and keep posting!

Oh and welcome to DW

Creator-Owned Title PETER PAN
Project Manager of Womanthology

Other: Vertigo, Archie, IDW,
Renae De Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
Jpah

Jpah will become famous soon enough

I really dig your style. I agree though, that the inks are a bit intense for the eyes. I could totally imagine it being colored in a very stylized, monochromatic way.
Jpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
Vincent

Vincent is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback. I'll see what I can do for some softer colors. I'm gonna shoot for something along the lines of David Stewart's Hellboy work.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
graphic novel, inker artist pay, pencils and ink, sequential art, writer