Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 01-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #31
chris stevens

chris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nice

going crazy today waiting for pages and emails...clicking, clicking, clicking every five ****ing minutes. it's just i'm at a point with this thing i have no rope left, i can't afford one moment's loss of momentum.
and then certain people will disappear on you. not answer the phone. don't respond to email. for weeks.

well, ****, all i can do is relax and wait.

anyone seriously interested in making comics better should check out jason rodriguez and his new 'the hive' column/forum over at buzzscope. i've got high hopes for the place.

colored pages from 'castles', my story with farel dalrymple.

chris stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #32
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Chris, I've been following this thread and loved these pages when they were just inked. The washed out colors just add to the piece as a whole. Beautifully done. When is this slated to come out. Best of luck. J.Giar
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #33
chris stevens

chris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nice

thanks very much, j.
those pages were beautiful in b+w. several people told me i should just go with that story without color. and then, seeing them all in-person...i thought about it for a minute. but the chance to have farel paint on the boards was too much to pass on. he did some truly sublime work. i'm glad you liked what you saw.

http://www.buzzscope.com/pcs/forums/f67-the-hive.html

there's a link to jason rodriguez's 'hive'. very encouraging first day yesterday, i'd urge anyone thinking seriously about making comics to join in and participate.

http://silverbulletcomics.com/news/story.php?a=833

not sure if i ever put that here. there's a link to an interview i did for josh sage and silverbulletcomics.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #34
chris stevens

my best friend and partner in my book is going through, or rather just finishing up, a nasty divorce (is there any other kind?) and as selfish as i feel for saying it, it's nothing but problems. we signed a contract months ago which basically excluded any outside interests(re:wives/side business-partners))of having any rights to the book we are creating and for its extended run...

now, lawyers and bad-feelings and loss pile on blown deadlines, lost time, and frequent changes-of-course...

and i'm caught between the book and my friend. what's best for one might not be the same for the other. and i'm far from free of guilt; my life, whether i try or not, seems to rest between tides, the peaceful moments neither high or low.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:46 PM   #35
thecarrierone
student of the art of art

thecarrierone will become famous soon enoughthecarrierone will become famous soon enough

i feel for u chris. i have been writing and penciling a book with a friend for the last year (we are seventy pages into it and have ten more to go), my friend became pregnant at the beginging of the fall semester. she has like thirty some pages left to ink last i heard (december) and our deadline is in a couple months.... i still need to letter all those pages too.... needless to say its comming down to the wire. and i really dont want to push her cuz well shes friggin preggers!
i know comparativly this is totally different, my inker is gaining and ur penciler is losing, still its real life competing with comic work. i hope that your friend manages to keep those lawyers away from your babies (your book)
Old 01-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #36
marcom

marcom will become famous soon enoughmarcom will become famous soon enough

those pages are beautiful!!!

Glad everythig is starting to come together for you.
marcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #37
chris stevens

thanks, carrier. i appreciate that. i hope things work out for you too. drop me a line and let me know how it goes. but my friend, he's my partner, not a penciler. he has nothing, artistically, to do with the book. he's my backbone/benefactor/voice-of-reason.

marco, i sent you a pm but your box is full. contact me here...

cstevens181@gmail.com

i said it in the pm, pal, i'm with you. it's been too long. we'll lock it down this time. get in touch with me there and we'll get the ball rolling.

here's a bunch of layouts for my baby, 'jungle jane'.
these are the visual notes max and i pass back-and-forth...like storyboards. for the benefit of anyone not familiar with the project, i'll post some model shots of the characters so you see what it'll look like in a finished form...

Old 01-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #38
chris stevens

Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #39
chris stevens

and here's the email i wrote max regarding the final three of those pages, for anyone interested in a closer look at this particular process....hi, max.

"hope the rain gods haven't been too harsh today.

i'll jump right into business, my friend;

like this a lot. hopefully we can keep some of the kirby-like power you've given ogun here in these storyboards once helber makes him into our fully-drawn ogun. this layout works great, powerful and precise! again, and don't take it as insult or bossy, just my nerves, remember we'll fill the backgrounds, like most of the previous pages in chimp city, with our various other players, like shep and the rhino mercenary and so-on...just as bustling and real a world as we can imagine, max. forgive me for droning on about it but i like the movement so much so far i'm certain if we get those details in there we'll be on the right path...

i won't ramble so much now, sorry...

really like the changes you made with the 'eye' panels, max. it adds clarity to the situation, nice sequential tension, and, the way you broke it down, you make brad a stronger a character than i was writing him, which isn't a bad thing.

good work my friend, that's a solid change.

and yeah, just adjust that closing angle so it pops more. other than that i will tweak the closing dialogue a bit and that's a sweet page.

again, excellent!
it's fun, isn't it max?
this story will make a lot of people fall in love...

you did a more fluid job of introducing gripli and 'waka into the scene than i did, again, good work. we're co-editors, my friend! and i'm happy to have you.

those are my thoughts on those pages, max. i'll call you tomorrow, earlier in the day, and hopefully i'll catch you.
this is going well, thanks to you, a pure gentleman, and to helber, whom i don't know as well but i imagine he's just as nice

let's keep the ball rolling, my friend.

best,
chris"

-------------------------

archival footage...

Last edited by chris stevens; 01-17-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #40
chris stevens

i bought an iguana. why, i have no idea. don't get high and walk on the boardwalk on a rainy day waiting for your wife to wrap-up job interviews and come across these green, pitiful creatures, huddled together in a small cage out in the cold, gypsy hands their only human source of warmth...

nasty little bug i call 'scratch' and my wife calls 'lizzy'. frightful and unfriendly.
my wife wants to feed it crickets. i'd rather feed the lizard to the cat.

which i would never really do. i'm just lacking in how to please the obstinate little bugger. i shred it carrots. i heat its little home with lizard-lights and it has a rock that maintains a balmy 92 degrees, a two-story cage, special lizard nutritional feed, which i guess is crushed bugs and dirt. i 'scoop' instead of 'grab'. yet it lunges out of my grasp like i was a big mexican bird swallowing its back legs...

it has been dreary here in my neck of the woods, grey from dawn to dusk and then just black and cold, for the last two weeks. we've gone from heavy snow to an all-night thunderstorm to days of fog and rain...the temperature's been 60 degrees one day, 22 three days later. strangest winter weather i've seen.

unwinding with a few write-ups of books i read recently...in fact, lately, i've been immersed in comics. just listened to a walter simonson interview from 'word balloon', over an hour long and i hung on every word. walt is as good as it gets. i've also been poring through a couple of 'comic book artist' mags, the darwynn cooke and filipino invasion issues. jon cooke does what he does better than anyone. he's a real service to comics and the long and vast history of the field and its finest practicioners, and, especially, to younger readers like myself, who have very few other places to learn like this.

plus i bought a bunch of books over the last month, some of which i'll talk about now...

all*star batman&robin #3:

here's where most of you jump off.

i liked this issue. a lot.

but, first things first:
is the pacing odd, three issues into this series?
very odd. there's pretty much no regard for pacing at all. it's three issues, 60+ pages of what's still just the very beginning of the story.

this is all*star? what the f%uck?!?
yeah, dc hasn't handled the launch of this premium-intended line as well as they might have. it charts high, but the time was ripe for more. the unavoidable if misguided 'ultimate' comparison has only hurt the line as, so far, since summer, we have four all*star books versus that lines' 4 or 5 year history, output, and impact.
then frank comes in, on this wizard-age holy grail of batbooks, and he's completely irreverent and, in spots, seeming creaky...AND his sensibilty and jim lee's don't really mesh...christ, look how badly lee handles that dynamite motif running in black canary's pages...

but...

...but...

i liked it.
lee was in top form here as jim lee, sharp pencils, big splashes, gorgeous bird, and miller managed to marry his 'sin city', frank miller-voice better throughout this narrative, with the seedy dive and intro of bc reading as near-authentic fm...that splash of her on her bike, racing into the dawn after busting up the bar, miller approaches his best wagnerian-tone there, i got a lift from the moment, and her potential meeting-a-happening with bats next issue...

i thought the double-splash underwater scene was fantastic. they nailed that, for me it's the highlight of the run so far...

supes appearance?
iffy. after what miller's done with him historically it's all tainted. and lee's recent hush storyline, which, you could easily argue was just as much and maybe a more appropriate all*star book than this incarnation, makes it even less effective and, even worse, read as a serial at least, more derivative.

weird issue which, ungainly as it seems, gives me hope for the rest of the run.

story: 6:75 art: 8.25 cover(s): 7.5 overall: 14

more in a few minutes...
Old 01-24-2006, 10:00 PM   #41
chris stevens

every now and then you feel like there's no hope.

then guys like nick bradshaw and james jean come around, and , for a moment, you believe in super-heroes again...

Last edited by chris stevens; 01-24-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:04 PM   #42
thecarrierone

thecarrierone will become famous soon enoughthecarrierone will become famous soon enough

if you get james jean on one of your books.......

..... i hate you
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #43
chris stevens

hey, carrier?
i can't figure your name out...
but i hope your book is coming along too.

and don't hate me, but yeah, james is helping me out, handling the design, covers, title-pages...i mentioned it in an earlier post.

all-in-all it should come to about 10-12 pages of james jean.

man, it's funny. dw was like a bar yesterday. i sat down, poured some drinks, and got to talking. i don't even remember making the post prior to this one. i was happy because scheduling/payment dates skimmed past one another, no harm done. and i was nervous as sheet about this, given the schedules of the artists involved.but it's a better feeling , knowing you let the guys know the odds we're up against but they all stand-true. it's invigorating...
Old 01-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #44
thecarrierone

hey chris
the name is the carrier#1 the name of my book.
is james jean going to be posting his work for you on his site? he is a big inspiration for me, the way he goes accross the board from magazine illustration to comic book illustration (something i hope to be able to do eventually).

im getting closser to my goals everyday. its tough though cuz of school.... im a bfa in illustration and im taking 19 credits this semester, my school is known for a difficult program but i plan on getting out soon. i have my next book waiting in the wings

i recently read craig thompson's blankets... he is from roughly the same area as i am and his life mirriors mine in many ways. anywho its prompted me to try some new genres namely autobiographical stories

if u havent read it you should!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #45
chris stevens

i've read and admire craig thompson. great communicator, if a bit trite at times. but there're magical, lose-your-place-in-the-world moments in 'blankets'...

Last edited by chris stevens; 01-31-2006 at 07:50 PM.