Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

The best digital workflow?

Ok, so...I've been experimenting with a 100% digital comic, just to see the difference of how my style would translate away from traditional methods of comic creation.

Thus far, in a 100% digital workflow I've come up with this:

sketching/penciling: Photoshop
Inking: illustrator
Coloring: Photoshop
Lettering: Illustrator

For the most part inking is my big quandary. I tried inking with photoshop, but I kind of hated it. I like illustrators philosophy of inking much more.

But then there's Manga studio EX.
I tried the same page with that, and found that it APPEARS all the relevant and useful tools in Photoshop and illustrator are combined in Manga studio...plus a little bit more. (Although I think coloring still goes to Photoshop)

Again Inking was my big roadblock, and I found that Manga studios inking was very similar to Illustrator, but for some crazy and unjustifiable reason I keep thinking Illustrator is superior for inking....I cant back that up though...

Thoughts?
Duane Korslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Ray Dillon
Golden Goat Studios

Ray Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to behold

I work entirely in Photoshop and it's the most efficient way I've found after doing this for 12+ years full-time. I don't like bouncing around into different programs. Just slows you down and you can get the same results in Photoshop. I know a lot of people are doing great with Manga Studio, though. As for inking, if you're having trouble, I recommend checking out my inking brushes. Not totally trying to be a salesmen here. I believe in those brushes. Developed them over the years to be the most efficient and quality ink work. I've used them inking official Marvel, DC, IDW, Image, Archie, and my work on Game of Thrones for HBO and various other projects like that for film, gaming, comics, etc. They work great. Regardless, I suggest consolidating your work to Photoshop except for maybe lettering which is still more efficient in Illustrator, though I think I'll be switching out of that at some point, too.
  • Met my wife, Eisner Nominated artist and writer Renae De Liz here on DW!
Ray Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Dillon View Post
I work entirely in Photoshop and it's the most efficient way I've found after doing this for 12+ years full-time. I don't like bouncing around into different programs. Just slows you down and you can get the same results in Photoshop. I know a lot of people are doing great with Manga Studio, though. As for inking, if you're having trouble, I recommend checking out my inking brushes. Not totally trying to be a salesmen here. I believe in those brushes. Developed them over the years to be the most efficient and quality ink work. I've used them inking official Marvel, DC, IDW, Image, Archie, and my work on Game of Thrones for HBO and various other projects like that for film, gaming, comics, etc. They work great. Regardless, I suggest consolidating your work to Photoshop except for maybe lettering which is still more efficient in Illustrator, though I think I'll be switching out of that at some point, too.
Thanks Ray,
Photoshop has always been my program of choice when it came to comics work and if it weren't for the apparent shaky inking capabilities, I wouldnt have ventured out into anything else....perhaps I just need to plumb the brushes capabilities a little bit more. What I found so attractive in manga studio was: everything was in one place (of course I agree...lettering should still be in illustrator)
I'll take a look at the brush link, maybe that will give me some inspiration
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Shows my layouts with lettering balloons. The layouts are done in Photoshop (print size at 600 DPI). Then I export a 72 DPI tiff for lettering. Once lettering is done, I copy and paste it the lettering into a new layer in Photoshop. Then I tighten up the layouts and ink in Photoshop. Then it's colored in Photoshop and I'm done.
The lettering in the sample above was whited-out as to not reveal the text.

Here's is my process when there are pencils.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=3f94304c97
Again I did everything but lettering in Photoshop. Lettering was done in Illustrator and pasted in.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
ferah11
Comic artist, Animator.

ferah11 has a spectacular aura aboutferah11 has a spectacular aura about

I do now everything on Illustudio. Here's a quick video I made with it (it actually have the recording plugin) you tube video click but even tho the sample is pretty cartoony still can make other stuff, this is a Paco Medina unpublished drawing that I inked with Illustudio. If they make an official english version is going to kickass, it have ton of stuff to work with.
ferah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
Eagle
Colourist

Eagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the rough

I've been wishing for a working English IllustStudio localization for a couple years, now.

That's some pretty sweet inking, except the scratching on the back of Spidey's head.

Until IllustStudio makes its way across the pond for real, Manga Studio probably still has the best digital inking tools around.

Pencilling and colouring in Photoshop, lettering in Illustrator are all pretty much right.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
ferah11
Comic artist, Animator.

Yeah, didn't liked that part on spidey either lol, but yeah I bought it here in Asia and used a quasi-translating file, I end up making my own "brushes".
Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Eagle
Colourist

Eagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the roughEagle is a jewel in the rough

Dallas, Texas is in Asia now? :P
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
ferah11
Comic artist, Animator.

I'm! I should update my profile, I've been here 4 months so far. Missing whattaburger tho.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Eagle
Colourist

Hahahahahaha.

If I'd ever had one, I'd probably be missing it too. x:

But then, if I had sushi available instead, I'd probably still be be happy.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

now I'm hungry for sushi AND whataburger..
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
ferah11
Comic artist, Animator.

If you like sushi check this out.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #13
Eagle
Colourist

That's pretty sweet, but I can get the same functionality--and much more, since it has many more buttons--out of my Logitech G13.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
ferah11
Comic artist, Animator.

Neat! Too bad I'm out of usb ports.

Edit: I meant for either device.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #15
Eagle
Colourist

USB port shortage is one of the great sufferings of our time. :/