Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 10-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
marco_p

marco_p is on a distinguished road

Seven Days Left

I've recently finished the design and finished pages for a publisher pitch submission in collaboration with Mark Bertolini.

Here are the first seven pages from the graphic novel, Seven Days Left.
Plot and script by Mark Bertolini, art by me.

cover.

c&c appreciated.

I would like to go to full time comic artist, (other samples in my deviantart page) and I'm looking for paid work only; so, in case you are interested, please drop me a PM.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

very Dave Lapham Stray Bullets which is cool.Make your own comics do a Kickstarter or indiegogo and sell it yorself. Marvel especially is only looking for published artists or extremely talented artists. So self publish, you have a market.
Justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:35 AM   #3
Rene A.

Rene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really nice

Looks solid, great work
Old 11-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
Fernando Lucas
I'm not your father...

Fernando Lucas has a spectacular aura aboutFernando Lucas has a spectacular aura aboutFernando Lucas has a spectacular aura about

love it
Fernando Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #5
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Justice41, not to sidetrack this thread but is it really that easy? I'm sincerely asking, no idea what the current state of self publishing is like. My guess is it's as uphill (or more) as it ever was, but really no idea.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

I think it maybe the time that creators get out of the old paradigm and realise you can get in front of consumers directly. With only a few thousand sales you can make as much or more than you would with tens of thousands of sales through a company.
My first thought when seeing this thread was the same as Jistice41. If you have this done or even close to done get it in front of people and see what happens. No matter what happens it is yours and after your do a successful or not crowdfunded campaign you could still approach a publisher if they offer something worth while.
Great pages. I really like the style and the acting.
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
marco_p

marco_p is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, feedback appreciated.

I'm aware of self publishing possibilities, and a supporter of the idea of the artists directly communicating with their public.

However, two considerations. First, this above is not my own project, it's something that a writer contacted me for; it's a kind of work for hire, viable only if there is financing behind. Kickstarter could be a possibility, but it is not my call.

Secondly, even if it was, I know the amount of work a Kickstarter is, I've collaborated with a few in the past; and I know self publishing, having produced and published a videogame on Steam with a colleague; based on those experiences, I would for the foreseable future definitely avoid any and all entrepreneur attempts of the kind, and focus on the bread and butter of my job, which already entails a tiresome but unavoidable part of self management.

I'm all for self publishing, I just feel I cannot afford it at this time.

I would consider self publishing comics via Kickstarter myself only ever if I were really invested in a personal project (so, something both written, illustrated by me, possibly traditionally and not digitally), or if the whole process would be carried by somebody else, with me in a capacity not different from be being hired by a publisher.

Besides, one thing that you miss when self publishing, (besides marketing and distribution: but these topics invite circular talking), is the editing by the publisher, which, if the publisher is of value, it does more than account for its share. At least when the concern is a commercial product.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Justice41, not to sidetrack this thread but is it really that easy? I'm sincerely asking, no idea what the current state of self publishing is like. My guess is it's as uphill (or more) as it ever was, but really no idea.
Nowadays, self publishing is quite easy and accessible for any author. Print on demand, online exposure etc. The only problem is to get people actually buying and paying for the self published book, or comic book.
But we never know. If the self published comic book is consistent and has the magic of grabbing an audience, it may work well in the sales. Otherwise, self publishing can be good for branding a novel author/ artist.

https://www.deviantart.com/savideduardo
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #9
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

The hardest part I can see isn't doing the artwork it's getting on numerous platforms and building an audience. See a lot of these comicsgate guys building audiences on Youtube and twitter as well as instagram. Nothings easy. Working for a comics companies not easy. Probably can build Tiers for how you want the book to look. Say you want to do color but it's too much time and cost, create a tier that if hit will pay for color, better paper, alternate covers, whatever. Members from this community are out their doing it right now. E.J Morges(PressOblivion) and Jon Malin to name a few. Malin's killing it.
Justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote