Dude you are ridiculous
Pete Tha Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:15 PM   #17
artman

artman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare2009 View Post
my 2 cents in the interest of sharing what I have learned

the sweep of arms is graceful and pushes the boundaries of whats possible, that's what a dynamic pic is supposed to do.

Her foot looked awkward at other angles, it's position was carefully chosen an helps push the leg back.

Her breasts are sitting on top of her torso, her back is slightly arched, they are a bit small but again, a conscious decision but they are correct, lowering them would change the pose and be anatomically wrong.

I use reference all the time artman, I mean ALL the time... and I embellish with what I know to be true, and exaggerate.....from my head as u say

The power of the image comes from going further than what we know to be true.

google this man

Richard MacDonald.

If the image breaks down anywhere, it's not the individual parts that you are 'analyzing', its the rendering, I confused myself with that big fiery bird, and I didnt know how to effectively light the figure.
Well said, especially "and I embellish with what I know to be true, and exaggerate.....from my head as u say

The power of the image comes from going further than what we know to be true."
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #18
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Image is not showing up for me...
Old 07-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #19
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

Even though the image is no longer visible, I remember it quite vividly and Cesare’s statement regarding the power of the image coming from going FURTHER than what we know to be “true” is so point on, especially in regards to comic book characters. I believe it was summed up pretty well in HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY by Stan and John Buscema that comics characters NEED to be exaggerated and push the limits of human anatomy and structure otherwise, they’d look just like normal schmoes and who wants THAT in a superhero?

Since I’ve started buying comics again (in a relatively big way), I’ve noticed SO many artists who completely dodge even the laws of comic-book physics when rendering characters (I think this all started when up-and-comers started mimicking the likes of Rob Liefeld, who gave everyone these huge torsos and limbs and teeny-tiny toothpick ankles and wrists), but are still published and adored by some fanboys and girls because they proclaim it’s their “style.”

Trust me when I say that, back in the day when me and my friends would repeatedly send stuff in to MARVEL and/or DC or show editors stuff at cons, some of the art that’s being published by the big two, along with several independents, would have gotten a swift “Sorry, kid, these just aren’t good enough...”
jeffchris50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #20
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

cesare2009 will become famous soon enoughcesare2009 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Tha Creep View Post
Dude you are ridiculous
ok pete. Im going to listen to you and not my teachers and not my professional friends... Makes sense.
cesare2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #21
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

cesare2009 will become famous soon enoughcesare2009 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchris50 View Post

Trust me when I say that, back in the day when me and my friends would repeatedly send stuff in to MARVEL and/or DC or show editors stuff at cons, some of the art that’s being published by the big two, along with several independents, would have gotten a swift “Sorry, kid, these just aren’t good enough...”
Yup.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #22
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Allen View Post
Looking masculine. She's got quite the V-tapor going on. I would have eased up on the lats and delts specifically.
I did ease up lol.

but if I just drew a woman, a normal woman....I mean, why would I bother?
Old 07-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #23
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene A. View Post
I like this version. I don't think she is looking "masculine". She looks powerful. And nice reference to Richard McDonald! The man's work is nothing short of spectacular. I live in Monterey, where he has a studio. I've never met him, but he's definitely a name around here.
If u want to learn to push the boundaries MacDonald is the perfect person to study.

would LOVE to meet the man.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #24
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12013 View Post
Ahh...there we go.. the age old “you arent as good as me so your opinion on the subject carries no weight “ bullshit. Nice.
surprised at your attitude man.

its not about 'good', its about study and experience. Pete is clearly still learning but he wont go far with his arrogance.

Ego has no place when trying to learn.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #25
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnake View Post
sculptural lighting is when all the planes facing you are the lightest and they get darker as they angle away. You could do this the opposite way where the planes facing you are the darkest to give a back lighting effect or rim light.
ambient occlusion when you have no one direct light source like a cloudy day but under a table or tree or in smaller spaces it is darker than areas out in the open.
There is a great book "Dynamic Light and Shade" by Burne Hogarth which talks about and show all the types of light [ there are many] and I find gives me lots of ideas on rendering.
Thats the one Hogarth book I dont have....but will soon! Thanks for taking the time!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #26
DCdraw

DCdraw is on a distinguished road

The line work on the breasts needed to be refined more. Using straights against curves for the overall shape of the breasts would've helped convey the mass of the breasts sitting on the rib cage.

Foot is a little awkward but not conspicuous. The foot angles away from the body naturally but in that particular position, the leg can rotate easily so that the foot is facing down. Isn't that how most other artists pose the foot in that position?

Everything else looks good..physique seems in line with a female fitness competitor type, probably one of your better pieces, IMO.

As far as you calling out the person that critiqued you, I'm of the mind that it doesn't take an expert to point out things that don't look right.....however, there were aspects of his critique that didn't make any sense like it not flowing cause you pushed the pose too far. wtf. If anything it flows because you pushed the pose a little beyond what is considered normal.
DCdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #27
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Jeffchris50, are you saying you're in favor of exaggeration, just not too much? Or just not the wrong kind? In favor of Kirby distortions, but not Liefeld? If so, what's the difference between the two?

Many modern comics seem to me like they wish they were movies...

Maybe it's 50/50, there's "realistic" art and "stylized" art.. I haven't done a survey recently...
Old 07-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #28
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Comics aren't about realism.
Buy a camera and take photos if your after complete realism.

Adding something to the piece, exaggerating, enhancing, cartooning. this is the job of a comic artist. tell the story in an exciting way.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #29
TimR

Sevans, that's one POV, lots of artists and readers are really into verisimilitude though. You telling them they're wrong to like that? Lol
Old 07-31-2019, 03:43 AM   #30
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCdraw View Post
The line work on the breasts needed to be refined more. Using straights against curves for the overall shape of the breasts would've helped convey the mass of the breasts sitting on the rib cage.

Foot is a little awkward but not conspicuous. The foot angles away from the body naturally but in that particular position, the leg can rotate easily so that the foot is facing down. Isn't that how most other artists pose the foot in that position?

Everything else looks good..physique seems in line with a female fitness competitor type, probably one of your better pieces, IMO.

As far as you calling out the person that critiqued you, I'm of the mind that it doesn't take an expert to point out things that don't look right.....however, there were aspects of his critique that didn't make any sense like it not flowing cause you pushed the pose too far. wtf. If anything it flows because you pushed the pose a little beyond what is considered normal.
Thanks Danny, I worked hard on the pic, appreciate the insight.

I could have put the foot where everyone puts it....but hey.....

Getting the breasts to sit right on the rib cage was the most difficult and important aspect of the pic.....thanks for the tip....I know it can be more convincing...to push the top of her torso back more......

I can take crits, wouldnt have developed if I didnt, but I didnt think he understood what I was doing.....or trying to do....

so thanks again!