Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 07-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Smile Old Stuff: Wizard Magazine Entry - CABLE

Hi DW folks,
I just want to share this inked piece, an entry I submitted to Wizard back in the day. . Hope you like it.

pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
artman

artman is on a distinguished road

Rob Liefield like without copying him. Pretty decent.
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Rene A.

Rene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really nice

Oh wow, I remember that contest, I entered one for Wizard as well. I wonder if it was the same one.

I like the drawing. Personally, I would flip Cable's pose so he faces right.
Rene A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by artman View Post
Rob Liefield like without copying him. Pretty decent.
Thanks artman! Yeah, at the time Leifield's work was considered the style with that of Jim Lee's of course. When I think of the work and the time it took me to do it, I feel that this style is really easy. I enjoyed it a lot back then. Nowadays the mainstream style is becoming more detailed and almost requires a model. Too realistic for me, but it's being recognized by readers and readers buy the stuff.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene A. View Post
Oh wow, I remember that contest, I entered one for Wizard as well. I wonder if it was the same one.

I like the drawing. Personally, I would flip Cable's pose so he faces right.
Thanks Rene A. Yeah, it was the same one. they did lots of contest back in the day.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Yeah it's similar to Liefeld... Except much better anatomy! Lol.

It is interesting how the styles change. I guess it all goes in cycles though... Eventually there will be a backlash, or "evolution", from the current hot style (whatever that is.. Seems like everyone loves very thin lines w no line weight variation... Plus the heavy realism/ reference as you said.)
Old 07-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Yeah it's similar to Liefeld... Except much better anatomy! Lol.

It is interesting how the styles change. I guess it all goes in cycles though... Eventually there will be a backlash, or "evolution", from the current hot style (whatever that is.. Seems like everyone loves very thin lines w no line weight variation... Plus the heavy realism/ reference as you said.)
Thanks TimR! I kept away on emulating 100% of Leifield's but took in only the line work. Lol. That's true about the 'backlash' as you said, a new style is just waiting to be revealed...
Old 07-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

man you were so good at that early 90ds style.
I too hope there will be a new style coming. I find the realism that is popular is so boring. I draw on the realistic side of things but I still think comics should be more than reality.
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #9
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

One thing abt it... Old comics were limited by the printing methods.. They HAD to develop stylized drawing to compensate. Fine detail would turn to mud.. Color palette was limited. Nowadays it's possible to be like a photo.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #10
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnake View Post
man you were so good at that early 90ds style.
I too hope there will be a new style coming. I find the realism that is popular is so boring. I draw on the realistic side of things but I still think comics should be more than reality.
I agree completely. When Image Comics came out they whipped up really good comic books like Stormwatch with Grifter and Voodoo as a few of my favourite characters. Black Anvil on the other hand was an interesting character that I like so much, I've created sample pages for him below. I could easily whip up pages like these given an opportunity as I enjoyed the creativity so much.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #11
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
One thing abt it... Old comics were limited by the printing methods.. They HAD to develop stylized drawing to compensate. Fine detail would turn to mud.. Color palette was limited. Nowadays it's possible to be like a photo.
Well, Image put out really cool books and they introduced digital coloring if I remember. Most of their books became collectibles. But some artists were not pro enough that they couldn't complete some series. Too bad.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
TimR

Yes at the time as a young kid it was very exciting, all the hype. I'm sure there are good uses for digital coloring. To me it seems to lead AWAY from the Pop Art appeal of early comic book art...

The line art used to be the main thing. Now the colorist constantly wants to show off, lol. And overwork the pages to death with illustrative lighting in every panel.

Those are cool fun pages, you do the style very well. On some of the figures I feel like some solid black areas would help to clarify the form. But I know a lot of the fun for artist and reader is the insane amount of detail.

I bought many of the early Image comics, but the main one that grabbed me, and I stuck with for awhile, was Savage Dragon. Larsen had some unique sensibility, humor, satire, something.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
TimR

Also the printing itself being so perfect is kind of worse in a way... The crappy printing used to make comics kind of unrespectable, subversive, outside the mainstream... Now they are tamer, more obviously corporate and sanitized.. Part of the larger media complex that carries all safely approved ideas.

I mean they were sanitized before, but they were always marginal... Partly from the cheap ass printing.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #14
ld-airgrafix

ld-airgrafix has a spectacular aura aboutld-airgrafix has a spectacular aura about

Liefeld working in comics as a professional is one of those mysteries of the world. It just cant be explained.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:25 PM   #15
TimR

I wonder if it was a bit of a marketing stunt/ gag... "You too can do this, if he can!" Encourages kids to indulge their fantasy of being a comics pro. And in general attracts attention and controversy.