Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
johnjohn

johnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nice

A few recent drawings

Elf type lady based on the over of Die Antwoord's Ten$ion disc cover.
The hands were added quickly at the end, still haven't gone back over them to finish them yet

A conte hand pic

Few quick character designs for something I'm working on

And a drawing of DC's The Warlord, may go back and touch it up, may not

Definitely looking for any crits and things to avoid doing again.

~edit~ A frien of mine pointed out that the Warlord pose is very weak for a hero pin up, I tried using a natural type pose (something you'd see just anyone doing) but after he pointed that out I realize that it's not the best choice to make someone look heroic.
Probably should have gone with the Captain Morgan style pose I was originally thinking of using.
And the shading isn't strong enough to convey weight properly.

Last edited by johnjohn; 07-15-2013 at 01:14 PM.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Max Romaine
Artist, musician, lunatic

Max Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really nice

I see some great potential here. The elf girl looks very nice. Nice shading around her eyes. Good job on the hand, too. Hard to critique the goblins because they look kinda cartoony compared to the others and I can't tell if that was your aim or not.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the pose of the Warlord. I know a lot of people who are into comics would probably complain about the pose, but to be honest, I get sick of the same old overdone poses everyone uses. I kinda like this one. Nice to see someone trying something different. Unfortunately, there are anatomy issues. The head, helm and upper torso look pretty good, but the anatomy on the arms is a little shaky, and his left arm looks too skinny, especially the tricep, and the left hand is a little too small in proportion to his head and upper torso. I think the latissimus dorsi should be a bit more pronounced in the gap between left arm and torso. His lower abdominal muscles are too large. The left leg is pretty good, but again, I think it needs to be more muscular and larger in proportion to the head/torso. Always bear in the mind the nature of the character you're drawing. I'm not saying he has to be built like Shwarzenegger, but if you're going to give him big pectorals and six-pack abs, you have to be sure the rest of his physique is equally delineated.

Having said that, this is a fairly ambitious drawing and I think you did pretty well. Tighten up the anatomy issues and I think it would be fantastic. The talent is most certainly there, just keep up the practice.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
johnjohn

johnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nice

Cheers, much appreciated.
Great points on the supporting musculature to apply for my next pic.

And yeah, I was going for a goofy cartoony look with the goblins.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
amikael

amikael will become famous soon enoughamikael will become famous soon enough

Love the Warlord.
amikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
johnjohn

Thanks mate.