Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 11-08-2014, 03:49 AM   #1
Tomas M91

Tomas M91 is on a distinguished road

Lettering Practice

Hi Guys,

I know how awesome this forum is for helping people so I figured I'd post my work for you guys to see.

I'm starting to learn to letter, and have read Jim's blog about lettering, Comicrafts book, balloon tales, blambot, etc, and want to get better at lettering.

Here's a sample from the archives here, I'll try go through all of them before showing other work. I've messed around in Illustrator before but have only a small amount of knowledge on graphic design.

Tomas M91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Evan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to behold

This was one of the first pages I did! It's been a while since I critiqued lettering work, but...

- "The creature is mine!" is left-aligned for some reason. That should not be.

- You have crossbar I's all over the place. Ow.

- I'm pretty sure "Ditto, Chica" is attached to the wrong guy's mouth in the last panel. At least, I remember that I had it coming from the same guy who says "Ditto" in tiny print. I may have been mistaken.

- Try to think of the way you break text into lines as having the goal of making a roughly plus-sign shape. For example,

You'll do
nothing but
my bidding after
I sup on
your genes!

might look better as

You'll do
nothing but my
bidding after I sup
on your
genes!

You do an excellent job of this in the "let's move the car over here" panel, actually.

- I feel like your balloons are a little too tight to the text overall

- Other than that, pretty decent work. I dig your sound effect!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Tomas M91
This message has been deleted by Tomas M91.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Tomas M91

Thanks for looking Evan. I can't believe i missed all those I's lol.

Here's an updated look

Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Evan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to behold

Comin' along nicely! Some Is still sneaked by, though. Try this:

1. Open script in Word.

2. Hit Ctrl-H

3. Enter "I" in the FIND field and "i" in the REPLACE field, then click REPLACE ALL

4. Enter " i " (note the spaces) in the FIND field and " I " (spaces again) in the REPLACE field, then click REPLACE ALL. This changes standalone "i" (the pronoun, uncapitalized because of what you did in step 3) to "I".

5. Repeat the process with "i'" (lowercase i followed by an apostrophe) in the FIND field And "I'" (uppercase I followed by an apostrophe) in the REPLACE field.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
Tomas M91

Thanks again for looking Evan. Probably should have done that instead of eyeballing it. On another note, I've read that it's OK to have I in the case of contractions (I'm, I've, etc) instead of lowercase. I'm still debating about whether I should use these in this case or not.

Cheers
Old 11-11-2014, 01:43 AM   #6
Comics Commando

Comics Commando has a spectacular aura aboutComics Commando has a spectacular aura about

Look at Evan's instructions, again. He covers the use of the personal I.

You're also missing a bunch of commas. Next to the period, the comma is most common, so you should know how to use it--even if it's missing in the script. It's 8th-grade English.

Ditto, Chica...is correct. He's talking to Chica. Eat aerostar freak is incorrect. She's talking to whomever she's calling a freak, yes? Add the comma.

Wow Rox, you...is almost correct. Should be: Wow, Rox, you...

For Thor's sake, don't get your punctuation cues from Facebook!

Best,

Kurt Hathaway
---------------------------------
Cartoon Balloons Studio
---------------------------------
Lettering • Logos • Pre-Press • Graphic Design • Video
for Print or Web • Entertainment, Advertising or Education!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGevjPkZso
Comics Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:28 AM   #7
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas M91 View Post
Thanks again for looking Evan. Probably should have done that instead of eyeballing it. On another note, I've read that it's OK to have I in the case of contractions (I'm, I've, etc) instead of lowercase. I'm still debating about whether I should use these in this case or not.

Cheers
Yep, I use crossbar I's in contractions. Step 5 takes care of that!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #8
Tomas M91

Sweet, thanks for all the help

Here's the final version. i really only want to do a max of 3 versions of each piece.

Cheers

Old 11-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #9
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

For my money, this is the toughest page of the exercises and your latest version is a creditable stab at it. Panel 2, especially, is a swine.

One thing I would highlight, though, is your tendency to put balloons/tails on characters' faces when there's no need to.

Cheers

Jim
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:17 AM   #10
Tomas M91

Thanks for looking Jim You're actually one of my favourite letterers, especially your work with Zenescope (seems like you're the lone letterer there) and your tutorials are really good
Old 11-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos has disabled reputation

Quote:
You should ALWAYS use crossbar I for personal pronouns. That includes contractions. That's what it's for. Almost* all other instances of the letter should be the straight line I.

* It can be used for denoting Roman numerals. For example, "World War II", in comics dialogue.

~N
Old 11-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

What Jim said! Great work on this one.

Here's mine, in case you were curious.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #13
Tomas M91

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm sure Nate can recognize the FWOOSH font (it's one of his )

You're page looks good for a first attempt Evan. It's awesome to see where people start from and gradually see their improvement
Old 11-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #14
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas M91 View Post
You're actually one of my favourite letterers, especially your work with Zenescope (seems like you're the lone letterer there) and your tutorials are really good
That's very kind of you, Tomas — thank you! (And, yes, I have been lettering pretty much Zenescope's entire line for about the last three years, although recently sheer volume of work has forced me to release my vice-like grip on their output, so expect to see other letterers working their magic on a variety of Zenescope books in the next few months…)

Cheers!

Jim
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #15
Tomas M91

Ok, here's another page from the activity archive. I don't think I'm gonna have a crack at logo design yet so i'll stick to sequentials for now