Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Project Showcase

Old 12-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #31
Rene A.

Rene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really nice

Here is the latest page. No dialogue, like intentionally
Old 12-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #32
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Rene, is the graphic novel finished and when is it going to be released?
pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #33
artofrene

artofrene is on a distinguished road

Yep, it is complete and available. I had some pre-orders prior to the release, but the graphic novel became available as soon as I got the books in, which was on Dec. 21. Here's the link: https://www.renearreola.com/product/...dream-awakens/

It is an introduction story and I decided to keep it in black and white, not color as I had set up way back when I was trying it as an online comic. So it's an art book/graphic novel, sans any exposition. And it's intentionally that way. It's dreamlike for the lead character, and to a certain extent, for the reader as well. So, it leaves some of what's going on as a mystery. As the title reads, "The Dream Awakens", so things are just a little blurry as the story gets going.

But, for 2021, I'm going back to storytelling for The Realm Ethereal. I'm excited to say the least. It's almost like I needed two years of just painting these characters. Now, because of all the Realm Ethereal paintings I've done in the last 3 years, I now have a full universe of characters and I'm raring to tell some stories!
artofrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #34
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofrene View Post
Yep, it is complete and available. I had some pre-orders prior to the release, but the graphic novel became available as soon as I got the books in, which was on Dec. 21. Here's the link: https://www.renearreola.com/product/...dream-awakens/

It is an introduction story and I decided to keep it in black and white, not color as I had set up way back when I was trying it as an online comic. So it's an art book/graphic novel, sans any exposition. And it's intentionally that way. It's dreamlike for the lead character, and to a certain extent, for the reader as well. So, it leaves some of what's going on as a mystery. As the title reads, "The Dream Awakens", so things are just a little blurry as the story gets going.

But, for 2021, I'm going back to storytelling for The Realm Ethereal. I'm excited to say the least. It's almost like I needed two years of just painting these characters. Now, because of all the Realm Ethereal paintings I've done in the last 3 years, I now have a full universe of characters and I'm raring to tell some stories!
confused here. So the colored version with dialogues are not available to buy but just b&w version which is what you're selling now? But is this b&w book just art pages, no dialogue?
Old 12-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #35
artofrene

That's correct, the colored version is not what's being printed. To be honest, I was never satisfied with the colors from back then. The artwork was always intended to be in black and white. So, "The Dream Awakens" is a black and white 'silent story'. It is the same artwork as you see in the colored version and driven by the same plot.

Looking back, my art style was really inspired by Sergio Toppi, and I really enjoyed just his black and white artwork on its own. So, with that in mind, I've left my artwork uncolored for this print edition release. The artwork for this story will only be found in color at whatever corners of the internet one can find it, such as in forums like this or google image searches. In fact, this story started out initially as a Webtoon. But I found I did not like creating the art in that format.

For next year (which I'm already working on) I'll be creating artwork in a style with coloring in mind. And there will be a written story as well. I'm fairly certain it's not going to be with dialogue balloons but something similar to those oversized Alex Ross/Paul Dini DC Justice League books.
artofrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #36
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Ah, ok I got it now. Thanks Rene.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Old 12-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #37
artofrene

No worries, Dario! Thanks for asking and taking an interest

Happy New Year to you as well!!
Old 01-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #38
mini-dano
Formerly "Dano"

mini-dano is on a distinguished road

Looks amazing!
Old 01-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #39
artofrene

Thank you, mini-dano! In 2021, I'm continuing the story (after basically focusing on mostly painting over the last year) of The Realm Ethereal. In fact, I just wrapped up the final painting for the Realm Ethereal. Now, it's on to storytelling.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #40
artofrene

Tomorrow "Enter the Realm" launches, kicking off the next story arc in The Realm Ethereal. I'm taking somewhat of a break from painting images for the Realm Ethereal and will now focus on getting back to telling the story through comic book illustration art.

All of this new artwork I'll be making is for the next graphic novel, which follows up "The Dream Awakens". Every Friday, starting tomorrow, I'm dropping new, full page views at my website. The story "Enter the Realm" will feature Casia's transition into this new and mysterious world for her. We're going to see some characters come to life in this storyline that you probably only ever saw in my paintings. I've been painting all these characters for the last two years, I'm excited to get to some storytelling.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #41
artofrene

Old 01-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #42
airsophia
Hypersigilist

airsophia has disabled reputation

looks interesting, didn't expect that. it still has that classy marvel feeling but feels like more evolved. keep it up.
⚔ ⚔ ⚔
airsophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:46 PM   #43
artofrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsophia View Post
looks interesting, didn't expect that. it still has that classy marvel feeling but feels like more evolved. keep it up.
Thank you, airshophia! Haha, expect the unexpected. I hope to keep it up.

One thing I learned about doing standalone paintings in the last two years was my somewhat lack of time frame to do the work. It seemed like I could go a week without painting then resume and knock it out. In truth, I started to feel a certain lag and...boredom. With comics, I want to get back into a grind. I think I need it.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #44
artofrene

Here's the first page, full art and story. I decided to un-paywall it.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:59 PM   #45
artofrene

Some new artwork from my latest update!