Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
xCatface

xCatface is on a distinguished road

Kickstarter

So I'm new to the whole comic scene but my goal is to one day make a living in this field. I hear a lot of “There's no money in comics” or that the only way to succeed is by working for the Big Two. With opportunities like Kickstarter/Fundstarter, grants and The Lottery (lol) I feel that I have a better opportunity to succeed in self-publishing or at least putting together a book to propose to companies such as Image, Archaia, etc. Now I'm not necessarily interested in comic books per say but Graphic Novels as my ideas are better suited for long chapters in a limited series. Similar to a manga maybe? I know Graphic Novels are more expensive to print so in the throws of my planning the future (I'm a super planner. I basically don't approach anything unless I know all I feel I need to know) I see Kickstarter as a viable option. As I roam through the Comic projects I notice that a lot of people offer the book as an incentive. I know that not all are trying get their name out there as I am but the ones that are leave me a little confused. If I were to raise exactly the amount I need or a few dollars over and offer the book as an incentive, if I'm all out of books but there are still people that want to buy it wouldn't it have been silly to offer the book? I wouldn't mind offering a pdf version but to offer the actual book feels like I'm missing out and that I would have to start another Kickstarter to fulfill the orders of new fans. If you were an interested would you back the project even though the book is not being offered as a reward and buy it when it's available? Do I need to rework the way I'm going about this?
xCatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
young-dash

young-dash is on a distinguished road

i see what you saying and have seen many people do that which has also confused me at times.

although what i see often is people will offer a limit to the amount of people that can donate and get the book

for example
$30 get the paper back book
10 claims available

although then the higher donations will also get the $30 package but then the higher donations will also have a limit to the amount of people that can claim.

so maybe max your looking at is sending out 100 books (if you have a very successful campaign) most people also ask for international shipping fees to be added.

also i dont think its the case of having to start a second kicstarter campaign ... your meant to start the campaign knowing you have to offer incentives so the amount your asking for should reflect that and cover your own costs as well the costs needed to supply the incentives. its not like if you dont meet your target, your still going to have to pay them in kickstarter unless you get 100% of what you ask for you get nothing.

overall thou a good pitch is vital go all out in selling your project

in my honest opinion when it comes to comics and graphic novels, the lower donations can offer to send a pdf and a pdf of concept art and all but higher donations will 100% need the incentive of getting a physical copy as well as maybe offering a limited edition version of it as well. although there are so many more incentives that work great also
but i would say along side a actually copy is what sells most of them

hope this helps im also thinking about starting a campaign but really need to build a name on forum like these just so people will be more willing to spread word
young-dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
xCatface

Quote:
Originally Posted by young-dash View Post
i see what you saying and have seen many people do that which has also confused me at times.

although what i see often is people will offer a limit to the amount of people that can donate and get the book

for example
$30 get the paper back book
10 claims available

although then the higher donations will also get the $30 package but then the higher donations will also have a limit to the amount of people that can claim.

so maybe max your looking at is sending out 100 books (if you have a very successful campaign) most people also ask for international shipping fees to be added.

also i dont think its the case of having to start a second kicstarter campaign ... your meant to start the campaign knowing you have to offer incentives so the amount your asking for should reflect that and cover your own costs as well the costs needed to supply the incentives. its not like if you dont meet your target, your still going to have to pay them in kickstarter unless you get 100% of what you ask for you get nothing.

overall thou a good pitch is vital go all out in selling your project

in my honest opinion when it comes to comics and graphic novels, the lower donations can offer to send a pdf and a pdf of concept art and all but higher donations will 100% need the incentive of getting a physical copy as well as maybe offering a limited edition version of it as well. although there are so many more incentives that work great also
but i would say along side a actually copy is what sells most of them

hope this helps im also thinking about starting a campaign but really need to build a name on forum like these just so people will be more willing to spread word
Im glad we are on the same page I was totally afraid of people telling me I was crazy haha. I have thought about giving a limited number of special edition books to higher donations now its just a matter of picking a number.

The reason I didnt want to start a second kickstarter is because I would feel bad taking peoples money a second time even though they would be getting something back. My hopes are just to make enough in sales to cover printing costs for the second volume (which Ive been planning already but lets not get ahead of myself here).

I too came here to also build relationships with my fellow creators so that I can build up confidence when it comes for the push. I hope we both have successful campaigns
Old 08-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
young-dash

yeah seems like a long road ahead of both of us but hopefully we both get where we need to

im also planing on using the campaign for a graphic novel so hopefully we can give each other advice as we go along haha
Old 08-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
xCatface

Quote:
yeah seems like a long road ahead of both of us but hopefully we both get where we need to

im also planing on using the campaign for a graphic novel so hopefully we can give each other advice as we go along haha
Yea I know I'm looking forward to it though. How far along are you in the process? Are you an all around creator or the writer?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
young-dash

Just a writer ...wish i could draw like some of the people on these forums hah
Yeah so I plan on paying out my own pocket to hopefully get some concept art drawn up/characters drawn and one or two sample pages
And then hopefully that along with a pitch will be good enough to get my kickstarter capign funded and allow me to pay the artist costs and manufacturing and distribution.
Hah like I said a long rode awaits
Old 08-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
xCatface

Quote:
Just a writer ...wish i could draw like some of the people on these forums hah
Yeah so I plan on paying out my own pocket to hopefully get some concept art drawn up/characters drawn and one or two sample pages
And then hopefully that along with a pitch will be good enough to get my kickstarter capign funded and allow me to pay the artist costs and manufacturing and distribution.
Hah like I said a long rode awaits
I hear you. I'm experimenting with drawing styles to find what really sticks. I kinda do my own thing but I'm also currently a huge fan of Greg Capullo so I'm trying to find that happy medium. Are you a superhero writer? I find my work leaning towards sci-fi fantasy. kind of Avatar:TLA meets Warehouse 13 if that makes any sense lol
Old 08-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
young-dash

hah
yeah im mainly a
dark sci fi writer i would say although i do end to mix and match with a few post apoc stories and other types

hah i love that combo of tla and warehouse 13 hah now somthing like tjat would be interesting
Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Johnthomis

Johnthomis is on a distinguished road

try indygogo, you can keep money even if you dont meet your goal...
Johnthomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
xCatface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthomis View Post
try indygogo, you can keep money even if you dont meet your goal...
Oh thank you! I never heard of that before. Do you have the option to not accept the money because you havent reached your goal and it might not be enough to say complete the printing cost?

Tags
comics, kickstarter, self publish