Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 02:04 AM   #1
Redland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Redland is on a distinguished road

Redlands Art Dump!

Hey guys, long time lurker here! I just wanted to post my work and get a bit of feedback. I'll try to keep up posting and dumping artwork here.

The girl here is from a novel called the Rithmatist, I have an audiobook copy, and I tried to figure out what she'd look like based on her personality and such-isms.

Practicing on new paper by drawing the dark knight himself.

Random sketchings are Random!
Redland is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 AM   #2
Redland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Redland is on a distinguished road



Was suppose to draw the same character in a few different styles, it's a failure looking back on it now.
Redland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
Lightdragon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC,USA
Posts: 247
Lightdragon is a jewel in the roughLightdragon is a jewel in the roughLightdragon is a jewel in the roughLightdragon is a jewel in the rough

ok first run. it will take a lot of time to get pro. first thing to do is to tackle one problem at a time. then work from there. this MO is usually done not only in art but in other things.

the faces look good for Rithmitist the hair is too sketchy for me to give any critques.

the batman, the neck is too long. that is the thing that threw me. first thing I noticed that was bad. usually editors will look at hands and feet. mainly hands in an art for any flaws. when other body parts are abnormal then there is a problem. unless it is Mr.Fantastic or some other char. that can stretch body parts.

and I am noticing it now with the other characters.


now I have seen people recommend DC's book of pencils or Will Eisner's book on sequential art. now they do have some aspects of anatomy but they are more geared towards sequentials. and will be useful to you.

but for now I would recommend books on anatomy. a good suggestion would be to use George B.Bridgman's books. constructive anatomy would be the first choice here. but check though either an artstore or bookstore in the art section on what feels best for you.

and good luck.
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
Redland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Redland is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdragon View Post
ok first run. it will take a lot of time to get pro. first thing to do is to tackle one problem at a time. then work from there. this MO is usually done not only in art but in other things.

the faces look good for Rithmitist the hair is too sketchy for me to give any critques.

the batman, the neck is too long. that is the thing that threw me. first thing I noticed that was bad. usually editors will look at hands and feet. mainly hands in an art for any flaws. when other body parts are abnormal then there is a problem. unless it is Mr.Fantastic or some other char. that can stretch body parts.

and I am noticing it now with the other characters.


now I have seen people recommend DC's book of pencils or Will Eisner's book on sequential art. now they do have some aspects of anatomy but they are more geared towards sequentials. and will be useful to you.

but for now I would recommend books on anatomy. a good suggestion would be to use George B.Bridgman's books. constructive anatomy would be the first choice here. but check though either an artstore or bookstore in the art section on what feels best for you.

and good luck.
Thanks a for the feedback!
I honestly say, if you wanna draw comics don't study the "how to draw comics" scam books, though the DC one looks nice.
a general how to draw book is your best friend.
Not a fan of Bridgeman, I prefer Loomis, and been getting into Bammes, and classic how to draw cartoon books(surprisingly helpful, back in the day when a book said it was gonna teach you something it did).

these are just sketches for the most, they took about 10-15 minutes. some i just especially on the last page were drawn in a 2 - 3 minutes, so there are a lot of mistakes and half drawn hands, lol. The hair on the first page is just a placeholder, i was working on the features.

Your completely right about Bat's neck! I drew that to practice drawing on cardstock, the proportions are way off, my main focus was on crosshatching. *Sigh* Dat neck though.
Redland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Lightdragon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC,USA
Posts: 247
Lightdragon is a jewel in the roughLightdragon is a jewel in the roughLightdragon is a jewel in the roughLightdragon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redland View Post
Thanks a for the feedback!
np.


Quote:
I honestly say, if you wanna draw comics don't study the "how to draw comics" scam books, though the DC one looks nice.
well they are not really scams per say. but they are more towards an advanced student or artist in higher level skills. as for example one books will show you how to draw spiderman in 6 steps. in reality it might take 12-20 steps and a lot of it will be omitted.


Quote:
a general how to draw book is your best friend.
yep.

Quote:
Not a fan of Bridgeman, I prefer Loomis, and been getting into Bammes, and classic how to draw cartoon books(surprisingly helpful, back in the day when a book said it was gonna teach you something it did).
one of my college teachers was taught under Bridgman directly. and he didn't care for him either. as well as I was taught the styles in high school as well. I think the books are best if someone teaches you the style or at least gives you a basic rundown. but it is usually starting out with stick figures then cubes and rectangles. but again if you prefer Lommis go for it.

Quote:
these are just sketches for the most, they took about 10-15 minutes. some i just especially on the last page were drawn in a 2 - 3 minutes, so there are a lot of mistakes and half drawn hands, lol. The hair on the first page is just a placeholder, i was working on the features.
not to sound condescending or anything but I should hope so it took that short of a period. from that alone is hope. if it took you longer to do it then I would say you need more work than expected.

what you should do is get a pad of newsprint either in an artstore or a drugstore. mainly as it is a cheap paper to waste on. also it is very hard to put in detail but not impossible. and I would recommend to do 2-3 minute sketches of people . once the timer runs out let it go. then do another sketch. this will help with your artistic skills and also help with your speed. also experiment what works for you in lead. some will use a light lead others darker while some will start off with a lighter lead and then for final details a darker one. now for paper for more or less sketches or pinups also see what works for you best.
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
Redland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Redland is on a distinguished road


Redland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
Redland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Redland is on a distinguished road


Redland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Redland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Redland is on a distinguished road




Redland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
art, comics, redland, stuff

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1997-2015 Digital Webbing, LLC