Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 06-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
Tulio Vilela

Tulio Vilela is on a distinguished road

Challenge Jump

One of the challenges in Jump Paint software (very similar to Medibang Paint) was ink on the pencil sketches of the original artist for the manga "My Hero Academia". I used two softwares Jump Paint and GIMP.

Last edited by Tulio Vilela; 06-16-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Tiny corrections on the submission
Tulio Vilela is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:39 AM   #2
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

Can't offer much feedback based on this one page. I have absolutely no context of what is supposed to be happening. I'm not a fan of the way this looks, but I know it is based on some cartoon, and for all I know that is just the style. I can't make any sense of the characters in the lower right or what they're doing. This is due to me just not totally understanding their designs (I should have been clearly introduced to all the characters you're showing on the page), along with your execution of how you're portraying their actions. Ideally, a reader should understand everything that is going on in a comic at a glance, unless it's something that is intentionally supposed to be obscure. I understand that they are fighting, but I don't actually know how they are fighting or specifically what they are doing. I just see vaguely humanoid shapes and a sound effect.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Tulio Vilela

Thanks for your sincere reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Allen View Post
Can't offer much feedback based on this one page. I have absolutely no context of what is supposed to be happening. I'm not a fan of the way this looks, but I know it is based on some cartoon, and for all I know that is just the style. I can't make any sense of the characters in the lower right or what they're doing. This is due to me just not totally understanding their designs (I should have been clearly introduced to all the characters you're showing on the page), along with your execution of how you're portraying their actions. Ideally, a reader should understand everything that is going on in a comic at a glance, unless it's something that is intentionally supposed to be obscure. I understand that they are fighting, but I don't actually know how they are fighting or specifically what they are doing. I just see vaguely humanoid shapes and a sound effect.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

so this is just your inking?

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
Tulio Vilela

Yes, as I explained before. One of the proposed challenges in the tutorials of Jump Paint software is to ink in the pencils of a page of the manga "My Hero Academy".
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans View Post
so this is just your inking?
Old 06-19-2019, 06:09 AM   #6
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

I personally don't think that the artwork was doing you any favours for show casing your inking skills.
The page was hard to read, with some funky anatomy.
I think you should find a more polished artist to practise your inks on.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
Tulio Vilela

Thank you too much for your advice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans View Post
I personally don't think that the artwork was doing you any favours for show casing your inking skills.
The page was hard to read, with some funky anatomy.
I think you should find a more polished artist to practise your inks on.