Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 05-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Dario's Art Vault: WildCATS sample page feat. Spartan

I dug out this sample i did back in '93-94. I'm trying to polish my pencils to apply to Wild Storm Entertainment (Jim Lee's company back then). After several attempts of submitting samples and no response, I decided to quit it. Fortunately I got hired by Dark Horse Comics to do Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi.

Even though, I've done it and achieved my dream...I'm still hung up on that wild Storm era. I simply liked the way comics done back then.

pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

none of your images are showing up on any threads for me.
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:07 AM   #3
DanielPicci

DanielPicci will become famous soon enough

Nice man! Definitely captures the 90’s fun. Great you got published but that image style also suit you well.
I actually drew a recent Wildcats commission I just posted to deviant art. Maybe I’ll share that here too

Best
Dan
DanielPicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:55 AM   #4
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnake View Post
none of your images are showing up on any threads for me.
I wonder why...hope it's fix now and you can see my stuff.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:01 AM   #5
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielPicci View Post
Nice man! Definitely captures the 90ís fun. Great you got published but that image style also suit you well.
I actually drew a recent Wildcats commission I just posted to deviant art. Maybe Iíll share that here too

Best
Dan
Thanks Dan. Even nowadays I would do a pinup or sketch with the style...I would get feedback saying it looks 90s...that's just how much influence I have on the 90s stuff. Oh well...that era is gone I should just move on and do things differently.

Anyway, you should show your Wild Storm stuff here.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Don't move on if it speaks to you! Lol. Maybe others have some nostalgia for it too. Or if not, still you have to follow your muse...
Old 05-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #7
sevans
www.artofevans.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

If that's your style/thing...just find a project that it will work with, or create one.

Personally I find the semi-realistic stuff in most super hero comics to be very boring.
Add some of your personality/influences to it.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.artofevans.nz

https://www.instagram.com/artofevans/
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #8
DCdraw

DCdraw is on a distinguished road

It definitely feels like 90s relevance and nostalgia is becoming a thing in pop culture,games,comics,etc. So you should just go with your instincts and draw how you like or even try to come up with some kind of unique take on the 90s style.
DCdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #9
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Don't move on if it speaks to you! Lol. Maybe others have some nostalgia for it too. Or if not, still you have to follow your muse...
Thanks TimR for a really good advice. I wanted to do this style for a long time and tried my best in trying to get work because it's what I'm comfortable with ...those are most of the comments from my client and just didn't seem to ask for recent samples. I felt really frustrated and almost quit this business. Some of the clients I have talked with said that they are looking for something different. For the past several years I tried to work on my recent style and as I did the research on what's selling out there, I found it and move forward with it to get comfortable again. It actually worked both on comics and illustrations which what I'm after nowadays. I'd like to do paid only comics projects and do illustrations for my own small press print projects. I do some stuff with the old style as pin-up or sketches for my own to show around but the new style seems to have gotten more interest in the long run.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans View Post
If that's your style/thing...just find a project that it will work with, or create one.

Personally I find the semi-realistic stuff in most super hero comics to be very boring.
Add some of your personality/influences to it.
Yes, that's true sevans. The superhero mainstream style nowadays are boring but only effective with a few selected artists. I think if I can mix it with the 90s & my new house style...I could probably make it work to my advantage. Definitely I'll look into it...Thanks bro.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #11
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCdraw View Post
It definitely feels like 90s relevance and nostalgia is becoming a thing in pop culture,games,comics,etc. So you should just go with your instincts and draw how you like or even try to come up with some kind of unique take on the 90s style.
I agree completely DCdraw. I've recently got a few commission art covers & pages that my client wanted to be done in the 90s style and I easily complied to their requests. I'm not going totally leave behind the 90s style but make myself flexible on each clients' need.

I'll definitely work on something to mix the new style I just developed and mix with the 90s style and see if it works...Thanks DCdraw!