Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 05-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #106
Metalni
wise man said...

Metalni has a spectacular aura aboutMetalni has a spectacular aura aboutMetalni has a spectacular aura about

Wow, this girl is absolutely amazing!
And ready for inking, aye?
Metalni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #107
jimlai

jimlai has a spectacular aura aboutjimlai has a spectacular aura aboutjimlai has a spectacular aura about

jimlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #108
jimlai

jimlai has a spectacular aura aboutjimlai has a spectacular aura aboutjimlai has a spectacular aura about

Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #109
jimlai

Old 07-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #110
jeffo46
BANNED

jeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to all

You know I'm a huge fan of your inking which reminds me of the great Rudy Nebres . But having said that , If you're serious about wanting to be a pro , then either work on your sequentials or your inking by doing it over other artists so that we can see how your inking would look over other pencillers instead of your own . If you do plan on being a penciller, then please download a script online and work with that to improve your skills with. You have so much potential but IMO, you are just wasting it with the same old style pinups on here.
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #111
johnjohn

johnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nice

Love the Optimus.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #112
Capo

Capo has a spectacular aura aboutCapo has a spectacular aura about

Great stuff, Jimlai- very impressive. I'd listen generally to what the guys are saying here, none of whom want to mess with your style, which rules.

My own two cents, definitely think about bringing out the character's jaws more even when they're tucked in- kinda makes them look like they have receding chins otherwise- which I imagine isn't deliberate. Your dynamism needs work- maybe go more all-out in having your figures 'splayed out'- eg legs and arms and fingers further apart.

Some exaggerated foreshortening will help with that, gives your figures way more 'power'- even when they're getting their butts kicked.

Not saying draw like Kirby, but he's someone to look to for that- no need to go 'all the way' like he did, but you'll def see what a difference adding a little dash of his time-tested tricks here and there can add to your characters' stances.

Draw hands on their own for a while. A lot- doing all kinds of stuff, from all angles. You'll be surprised what damage a flaky hand can do to an otherwise masterful piece of work.

Perspective- you do a lot of stock-shot angles with your buildings etc. Use some more adventures ones- like three point perspective they're not that tricky to learn and once you do you'll love it- and so will your audience. Plus it forces you to draw your characters from these challenging angles- another deadly bullet in your gun.

Okay, that's more than two cents. But hey- unless you start responding to our comments, we may all well stop saying anything at- so get on the phone! So to speak.

"I don't know what is true, only what I assume to be true."
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #113
jimlai

Old 07-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #114
Vassago
Fifth wheel

Vassago has a spectacular aura aboutVassago has a spectacular aura about

Very tight line work. And your facial expressions are nice... but your full body movement might need a little more.... I don't know... more fluidity
Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #115
jimlai

Old 07-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #116
reaverdarkstar

reaverdarkstar is on a distinguished road

Dear Jimlai, I really like your work. I was wondering if you are working on any projects currently? My name is Keith and I'm an aspiring screenwriter/graphic novelist, I was wondering if I could acquire your talents for my first ever graphic novel that I plan to publish? Also I was wondering if you are a colorist or at least know a colorist to help with this project? You can contact me on my email: comiccid007@gmail.com
reaverdarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #117
jimlai

Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #118
jimlai

Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #119
Drakelb

Drakelb is on a distinguished road

Still great work Jim! will there be more Captain China?
www.indyplanet.com/front/?product=36306
Drakelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #120
Rob Norton
apprentice of the pencil

Rob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to behold

what do you ink with? what type of ink and/or tools?
it seems obvious that there is brush work, but what are you using to get all those fine crosshatching lines? they are so sharp and crisp, I wish I had that kind of control. its the look I want on my stuff, but struggle to get.

rob
Rob Norton is offline   Reply With Quote