Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Project Showcase

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2019, 05:54 AM   #25
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBeezy1 View Post
I see you're using the crowquill and ink. Cool. I used to use it back in the day but switched to the tech pens.
I find that I have a use for various types of inking utensils. Since they yield such different results for me, I don't stick to just one type. There's a time for a dip pen, a brush, and a technical pen. At least for me.

For example. I am working on a logo (the logo I've been using thus far has always been a place holder). This one won't be used because my pen stroke on the "S" was sloppy, so I'll trace it again. But I use technical pens for this type of work.

I am using this one for color testing, though!

That said, if I had to pick, I think I'm partial to dip pens. I really like the lines I get from them. I think I'm able to achieve a nuance that I can't get nearly as well from technical pens. And I find them to be much better suited for hatching and fine detail than brushes.

Tech pins aren't always good for the way I often do things. I color directly on the page, and when you do that, it can dull out some of your black ink, because you're layering pigment on top of it. This can create a cool effect, but you don't always want that. So, what I will do, is I will ink over the pigment to bring out whatever blacks got dulled that I want to bring out boldly. A technical pen...is not good for this, because the pigment will quite possibly ruin the nib and make it so the pen doesn't work. Technical pens can ink over marker just fine...and watercolor...yeah, I guess. But they can't deal with stuff like wax, oil, or soft pastel well at all. You'll probably ruin the pen inking over that. Dip pens can ink over that stuff just fine, though. The nibs are way more durable than the flimsy little things in tech pins. And you can clean them.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote