Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 04-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #46
MattTriano
Storyteller for Comics

MattTriano has a spectacular aura aboutMattTriano has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCampbell View Post
Letter it yourself, or let the letterer do it.

I'll put the balloons where they damn well need to go, and if that upsets the artist then s/he should have laid the page out better.

That said: if I lettered any of your pages in a way that prompted howls of anguish, I'd be genuinely interested to know. It's hard to get feedback in this business, so if you think I fucked something up then I'd honestly like to hear about it.
That makes sense.

What did you letter of mine, do you remember? I'm sure that means your work was good if I don't remember, appreciate your asking. I have trouble with colors more than anything, or file handling that results in print errors -- but that's a concern we all share.
MattTriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #47
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas M91 View Post
Fresh out of Dave Sharpe's Intro to Lettering Class, I figured it'll be a good idea to start a thread.
Dave has taught you well. I have some very minor niggles here, but there are people getting paid for work that's not to this standard. You should be pretty happy with it.

OK… niggles now:

1) Overall, I think the green is too strong on that caption gradient. You don't know what palette the colourist is going to use, but I'd always stick to something much lighter, whatever your colour choice. If that ran a little dark on the press, it'd be difficult to read.

2) I don't like the butted balloon on Pg3, Panel 4 — you should always look to shave no more than about the top 25% off the shape of the balloon:

3) Tangents! Everywhere! Watch for tangents with lines in the artwork…

…All of which, I suspect, sounds a bit negative, so I'll remind you that, at the start of this post, I said that this was good work, and it is.

Cheers!

Jim
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #48
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTriano View Post
What did you letter of mine, do you remember?
Pretty much all of it! I was lettering 90%+ of their output for about three years straight. I definitely did:

Call of Wonderland (where you did the Lovecraft sequences)

GFT Myths & Legends (Sea Witch arc… can't be bothered to Google up the issue numbers!)

GFT Hunters: Shadowlands

…And I'm pretty sure you did a couple of issues of GFT? There was a Tooth Fairy one and one about an imprisoned wizard…

If you didn't hate it enough to remember, I'll take it as a compliment!

Cheers

Jim
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #49
vartemis
Onomonopiaphile

vartemis is a jewel in the roughvartemis is a jewel in the roughvartemis is a jewel in the roughvartemis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCampbell View Post

3) Tangents! Everywhere! Watch for tangents with lines in the artwork…
That was my biggest issue. Sometimes it can be hard to keep your work tangent free with so much going on, but there are definitely better places to put your captions and balloons to avoid creating them.

j
Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #50
Tomas M91

Tomas M91 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jim Both for the defense and the crit. Definitely have to work on the tangents and butting properly. Always gonna make mistakes

Thanks for looking Vartemis
Tomas M91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:47 AM   #51
Tomas M91

Tomas M91 is on a distinguished road

Been a while but still cracking away at any samples i can find. Here are 3 pages from Jim's blog, Salem's Daughter. Still learning about balloon air and keeping it constant throughout the pages

Tomas M91 is offline   Reply With Quote