Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 07-31-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Wink Paid work: LADY ALCHEMY GN Page

Here's one of the pages that I'm working a client's personal project on at the moment. I thought it's fun to show here as I have, for the first time, my cameo in this page. Just for fun, can you take a wild guess where I am in the panel(s)?

Media: Digital inks with Clip Studio on Wacom Cintiq

pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
DJA

DJA will become famous soon enoughDJA will become famous soon enough

Looks good ,man! Dig the style!
DJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
DJA

DJA will become famous soon enoughDJA will become famous soon enough

Second panel , dude on the left foreground?
DJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

That was my guess too. Nice layout and linework.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Looks good ,man! Dig the style!
Thanks man.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Second panel , dude on the left foreground?
Yes, good guess.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
That was my guess too. Nice layout and linework.
Thanks TimR! Yes, you guessed right. My cameo is on panel 2 left foreground and on panel 3, right at middle.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Adding... I've been focused on gag panels lately, but every now and then I have a hankering to work on some straight ahead superhero action comics lol... Especially if they were commissioned by someone! Don't think I really have the portfolio to get work like that, even in the small press market. But I KNOW I could pull it off, somewhat, or like to think so...
Old 08-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Adding... I've been focused on gag panels lately, but every now and then I have a hankering to work on some straight ahead superhero action comics lol... Especially if they were commissioned by someone! Don't think I really have the portfolio to get work like that, even in the small press market. But I KNOW I could pull it off, somewhat, or like to think so...
Of course, my friend. you should go for it.

Our style might be different in some ways, but there are clients who like something different. I'm sure your work, if you have a few page samples to show around, would give you the advantage to get noticed. If you haven't signed up with Deviantart, you should do it now. It's a protfolio site to showcase your work even older. Lately, I've got an offer to do a short story super heroes and when I asked the client how did he finds me, he said Deviantart. It does mean that the site are lurking with prospects. Even if you're not looking for clients, they will be looking for a proper fit for their projects. You never know, right?
Old 08-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #10
TimR

Good idea, thanks Dario. Kind of a pipe dream in a way because "serious" comics are so much work, and I'd have to have a strong portfolio to get even semi decent pay.

If anyone wants to just TRUST me that I could pull off a 3rd rate Sal Buscema or JRjr or Gene Colan or Kirby though, hit me up!
If I fail miserably in a test batch, no charge! Lol
Old 08-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #11
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Yes, you're right. This page alone took me two days to complete using the tablet while I can finish a page in a day traditionally. I find it that I sit down on a page too long because I want to make sure that I'm happy with it first before I submit it to the client. Versatility is also important as I also got a page reconfigured by client's request. Thank God I did it digital, I only spent half a day for it.

In my opinion, comics now a days are totally different from the Kirby, Buscema & Jim Lee era. If you have seen some of the topseller comic books lately, details are overdone on top of sequential. Details such as building backgrounds, vehicles and people. Making it authentic makes for awe but the basic imagination is gone because everything are all taken from references. It's like putting traced photos in panels. I find it that's hard to compete in this new market. I wished that I had gone and follow Kirby, Buscema or Lee because they make good comics from imagination.

If you have Kirby style stuff, please show them here. I'd like to see them.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
TimR

Yes absolutely, old school comics are superior!!! LOL

I think JRjr is still in that tradition somewhat, although nowadays he may have colorists who add a lot of painted details that make it fit with the current style. But his underlying drawing is still dynamic and simplified forms, like the old school guys.

I haven't seen much lately because a lot of libraries are closed where I am, and that's where I would check out any new GNs they had. Last I heard Diamond was not even delivering(?) but maybe that's straightened out now, and comic shops are getting product... If any are hanging in there!
Old 08-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #13
TimR

A long while back I did do a comic that was kind of a Kirby homage of sorts... I would like to think I'd be better now, but anyway, I'll try to dig up some pages from that. I'm sure I posted them here long ago.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

What I usually do is go to Amazon or Comixology websites and check the latest there. You don't need to buy but you can read the previews. You can see some of the latest work or freshly published. You can see what's happening in the comic scene. I'm impressed with the titles from the big guns in US and also from European market.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #15
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

By the way, if you haven't heard or seen my announcement on my studio forum here, I'm closing shop probably next year. I'm leaving comics and moving to my long awaited dream to do self-publishing of my own illustrated digests. I love comics but it's hard to make a living doing it when I can't get a good paying project. I have three commitments and I'll complete them but it just tells you that in order to make ends meet, you have to have two projects at the same time. It takes a toll on your health and sleepless nights. As I'm getting older, I realized that I'm not cut for it anymore.

Check out some of the pages I've posted in my Panday Studio forum here.