Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 08-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Brutally honest critique needed

Trying to get into the pet portrait business, so I drew this sample of a rather soulful chihuahua. Thoughts?

But seriously folks... I'd really like to hear honest opinions/ critique of this as a caricature of you know who. If you were a magazine art director using it for a story, what would be your issues, if any? Tear it apart!

Old 08-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

This is really good, if you ask me. You captured the individual's resemblance. That's important in caricature business for me. Great job TimR!
pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
Saul Haber

Saul Haber is just really niceSaul Haber is just really niceSaul Haber is just really niceSaul Haber is just really niceSaul Haber is just really niceSaul Haber is just really nice

I think this is really good. One thing that bugs me is that I think you exaggerated his cheek a bit too much in comparison to his other features. It just juts out there a lot and it also has the warm lighting on it so it takes too much focus, in my opinion.

I love your work, Tim. Keep it up!
Old 08-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Thanks guys. Yeah somebody else mentioned the cheek too so I wanted to see if that would come up here. I didn't notice it until it was finished and I looked at it upside down. Then I realized how extreme it was especially with the other side not matching.

Trying to push more towards expressionistic/ illustrative techniques, away from "cheesy fairground caricatures" ha... Nothing wrong with well done amusement park caricatures imo, they can be great. Just trying to get more of an illustration quality or something more "arty" and distinctive.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Looks great, but I was going to mention the cheek as well. It's a bit overdone even by caricature standards, imo. Otherwise, I love it.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
TimR

Thanks! stay tuned everyone, another caricature coming soon. we'll see if I learned my lesson o_O
Old 08-13-2020, 03:24 AM   #7
Eddy Lyle

Eddy Lyle is on a distinguished road

Good caricature. It's supposed to be Johnny Depp right? As others have mentioned, only issue is the right hand cheek.

Otherwise great work!
Eddy Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
TimR

Yes, Johnny Depp or his long lost, sharp-cheeked twin :P
Old 08-14-2020, 01:53 PM   #9
DJA

DJA will become famous soon enoughDJA will become famous soon enough

What Saul said! Looks great but maybe reel back the cheek just a lil bit! Good stuff!
DJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
TimR

Alright people, enough with the cheek! I get it!!!

Lol. Just kidding. Thank you all for your feedback.