Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #1
fourth_world

fourth_world will become famous soon enough

Too Much Info? (Outlining Help)

Hello! It's been a while, everyone!

So I don't know if this is the right spot for this discussion (I know a mod will let me know otherwise.), but I've been toiling over a single comic project for about three years now.

I've been coming up with ideas for a short comic and it's slowly expanded from a 15-page comic to now a 40-page comic. There's a ton of emotional depth and room for character development that couldn't exist before.

The comic itself came out of a challenge to myself to write a talking heads scene that an artist would actually want to draw. It's two people at a diner breaking up over one's drug addiction from the person breaking up's POV, but it's much more complex and dramatic than just that.

I have the primary plot of what happens to the two characters at the diner. The challenge is that I have a B-plot of their relationship in flashbacks from one of their perspectives (and sell that they once loved each other), a C-plot of that character's one traumatic childhood memory that plays into both the relationship and the conversation at the diner, and miscellaneous single-panel flashbacks that add context to certain lines of dialogue. (The miscellaneous single flashbacks only happen like three or four times.)

Since I'm trying to actually write page summary outlines to help me make heads and tails with the script and I keep getting lost. I think, as you can probably agree, I have too much. However, these flashbacks are important for the story. So I feel like I need to be more selective of what moments I show, but I also don't know what I can just leave to dialogue/exposition.

I feel like I have too many separate memories and don't know which ones I should keep.

How do I decide what should make it to the script?

andrew.b.leamon@gmail.com | andrewleamon.com | Twitter: @aleams
fourth_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Tags
outlining, writing