Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 05-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

vampire

Here are some pages of a vampire story that I have done as sample pages using a vampire I have been designing.

artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 02:50 AM   #2
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, amazing! Great work, artsnake!
pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
artsnake

Wow thank you Pandayboss. Yeah it must be all right because it still looks good to me after a couple of weeks.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:22 AM   #4
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnake View Post
Wow thank you Pandayboss. Yeah it must be all right because it still looks good to me after a couple of weeks.
Looks good to me. Really solid! That digital inking?
Old 05-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #5
artsnake

Yes it is digital inking. for all the free hand stuff I used a program called Mypaint which is pretty simple but has a very good, maybe the best, brush engine and has a good feel with the tablet. I use Krita for the more technical things.
As far as inking, I learned this from comic strip artists, I did one character at a time. I started with the guy with the hair and the other characters the same. Then I did the out side back grounds then inside and finished with spotting back ground blacks in panels that looked like they needed it. I feel that this really helped because there were fewer inconsistencies. Like the guy with the hair, I figured out how to do the hair or the cut of his suit or what ever and repeat it while it is fresh in my mind. It helped me feel much more satisfied with the finish and was much quicker for me with a lot less feeling like I have to fix things at the end.
Thanks again
Old 05-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnake View Post
Yes it is digital inking. for all the free hand stuff I used a program called Mypaint which is pretty simple but has a very good, maybe the best, brush engine and has a good feel with the tablet. I use Krita for the more technical things.
As far as inking, I learned this from comic strip artists, I did one character at a time. I started with the guy with the hair and the other characters the same. Then I did the out side back grounds then inside and finished with spotting back ground blacks in panels that looked like they needed it. I feel that this really helped because there were fewer inconsistencies. Like the guy with the hair, I figured out how to do the hair or the cut of his suit or what ever and repeat it while it is fresh in my mind. It helped me feel much more satisfied with the finish and was much quicker for me with a lot less feeling like I have to fix things at the end.
Thanks again
Oh wow! I actually just used sketchbook for all my digital inking. I've never tried out other programs but I downloaded Gymp. I've looked around it and saw that I'm not familiar with some of the icons and don't know what they're used for. So I decided to myself why complicate things. Lol. I know eveything has to be learned from the start but I have so much stuff to do and I'm old school, might as well just crank up what I can do first and get some things done. Haha.

I've seen some digital inkers create layers for each input, say hair. This way when they want to change hairs all of a suddedn they just open the hair layer and just fix it as required without touching other layers etc. I started doing this approach on my inking and really helps.

Backgrounds are the toughest. One never knows what not enough and too much. There are so many treatments I find. Sometimes I leave it to the colorist to stab on minimal lines, not even blackings. Other times I put lots of shadows. I think it's how you make sense of the scene. For me I like to show backgrounds but sometimes it pollutes the scenes. I'm still exploring it myself up till now. Haha. You're doing a great job with it. awesome!

Keep up the good work artsnake. I saw your website and you got some cool arts there.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:05 AM   #7
artsnake

I have use scketchbook a very little bit. The gimp I have used a lot. It is very good but is more like a Photoshop type brush engine. You can use Photoshop brushes with it.
Mypaint and Krita are more painting or drawing programs like Scketchbook or Clipart Studio.
Mypaint is so simple and nice to use and free that every one should try it.
Krita is much more complicated but has pretty much every thing you might need for digital painting and is free also.

I use a new layer when I am doing some thing like a new texture over something like a building so I can fiddle with just the texture and not have to worry bout the bass lines.

On the backgrounds black spotting is much more fun in digital because you put it on and take it off so I find my self going back and forth till I find a nice balance.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
artsnake

here are some more pages hitting some of the story beats.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:07 PM   #9
ld-airgrafix

ld-airgrafix has a spectacular aura aboutld-airgrafix has a spectacular aura about

I dont know what the story is about, but why do i feel sorry for the vampire?
Really good stuff
Old 07-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
Kevinlearn
Kevin Learn

Kevinlearn is on a distinguished road

I agree, I don't know fully what is going on. But the facial expressions and POV of panels help add an element that you should feel sorry for the vampire.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #11
artsnake

These last few pages are a bit disjointed because they are just scene segments.
Yes feel sorry for the vampire. I have been using the idea of Dracula as a tragic romance with creepy elements rather than a monster story. Have got to do something different if that is what you guys are saying, that it is different.
Thanks for your comments it really helps to have conformation of what one is trying to do.
I just started doing these pages as a sample concept of five pages and then I just kept going with several pages of story beats that came up and finished five of those. I have more that are just at the sketch stage.
So the up shot of it is that I am looking at producing this comic kind of out of the blue.
I think my next move is to get more people involved. I think the concept as I have flesh it out to myself is getting interesting enough. I've got a Gothic tragic romance with vampires and a twist by the tail. May be a writer would help.