Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Help Wanted / Jobs > Help Wanted / Collaborations

Old 06-03-2019, 02:59 AM   #1
Villainess

Villainess is on a distinguished road

New Comic Company Seeking Talent To Review & Recruit

Hello everyone,

My name is "Georgeano G" and I'm a fellow comic book creator, I'm also the founder of a new comic book publishing
company. However, for the time being I' am not able to announce the name of the company just yet. I have been
advised against it by my intellectual property attorney, Mr. Steve Baker, at "Baker & Rannells PA" until the official
launch date which will be a year or so from now. So without further a due let's get down to business...

I' am looking forward to reviewing, recruiting, and employing other talented comic book creators like myself but most
of all I' am looking for a team of like-minded individuals. I guess you could say I'm looking for a new creative family!

Anyone who is willing to join me on my great conquest to build and expand this new comic book universe of super
heroes and villains, one that I've been working on for the pass 16+ years!

Anyway, here are the opening job positions...

EDITORS:

Looking for editors who can assemble creative teams, proofread scripts, and keep track of team workflows and
deadlines.

WRITERS:

Looking for brilliant writers to write amazing action packed stories for this new comic book universe.

However, before sending any samples of your work you must first acknowledge and agree to the terms that the
company, nor I, will be held responsible for infringement or loss of original works. So please do not submit your original
works, just sample scripts / spec scripts.

PENCILERS:

Looking for pencilers to help draw and add to the roster of this new comic book universe.

It doesn't matter if you use and draw characters from the DC, or Marvel, universe. Any style is welcomed.

However, before sending any samples of your work you must first acknowledge and agree to the terms that the
company, nor I, will be held responsible for infringement or loss of original works. So please do not submit your original
works, just sample pages of sequential art.

INKERS:

Looking for inkers to enhance the pencilers sequential art, making the pencil work superb and dynamic.

It doesn't matter if you use and ink characters from the DC, or Marvel, universe. Any style is welcomed.

works, just sample pages of inked sequential art.

COLORISTS:

Looking for amazing colorists to color and enhance each page of sequential art, making each page dynamic and
eye-popping.

It doesn't matter if you use sequential art pages with characters from the DC, or Marvel, universe. Any style is welcomed.

works, just sample pages of fully colored sequential art.

LETTERERS:

Looking for letterers to bring it all together, making the final stages of the comic book process a complete masterpiece.

It doesn't matter if you use sequential art pages with characters from the DC, or Marvel, universe. Any style is welcomed.

works, just sample pages of lettered sequential art.

Please submit all works and samples to:

NCB.Submissions@gmail.com

Best of luck to all my fellow comiconspirators! I can't wait to see what the future holds and remember if your submission
wasn't selected this time around perhaps you will in the future. Just keep practicing, practicing, practicing, just like the
legendary "Stan Lee" had once said!
Villainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 02:52 AM   #2
Rene A.

Rene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really nice

I work digitally, pencilling and inking virtually simultaneously. Would you look at my work?
Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
eDuke

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

This is good news.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, yeah, what Ed said....!
jeffchris50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Jason Powell has disabled reputation

Is this on the up and up?

I never seen a company that recruited talent without letting you know anything about them first?

Also this is their first post?

I mean what is pay, is there pay, what kind of titles are you doing (Creator owned/company owned)?

What kind of experience do you have?

Who financing it, is there financing?

It is also in wrong section, correct?

Ed, I assume you know since you replied, I don't know.

I am not saying war or the other but it is very non professional to say the least.

-SIN-
Jason Powell
Old 06-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
Villainess

LOL, yes "Jason Powell" it's on the up and up! And yes this is my first post only because I've been extremely
busy with creating a universe filled with super powered beings, not as easy task as I thought it would be.

However, to answer all your questions, here goes:

1. Yes there is pay! Anyone who is hired by this company will be paid by a page rate and the page rate will
be determined by how well the book sells. So the better the sales the better the rate.

2. Anyone who is hired will be asked to sign a "NDA" (Non-Disclosure Agreement) form as well as a "Work For Hire"
employment application. I also would like to add that this will not happen until a year from now and thus why I
posted it here instead of the "Help Wanted / Paid Jobs" section. I'am not actually hiring anyone just yet I'm just
reviewing portfolios for now to select the best talent for the company to start with when it actually launches next year.

3. As for experience I've been drawing and creating comics for a long time, 20+ years, I've also been a student
at "The Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Arts".

4. Any Talent / Comic Book Creator who wishes to create new characters for this new universe is more than welcome
to do so but this comic company already has over 30+ comic book titles under it's belt and over 400+ characters. In
other words "company owned". Trust me when I say you can achieve a lot within 16+ years, also this is coming from
a guy who's motto is never surrender, LOL.

Well hopefully that answered all your questions. I'm looking forward to seeing some more spec scripts, pencils, inks,
full page coloring and lettering samples from anyone who is interested. Thank you.

Last edited by Villainess; 06-05-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Keep it neat.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Powell View Post

...It is also in wrong section, correct?

Ed, I assume you know since you replied, I don't know.

I am not saying war or the other but it is very non professional to say the least.

-SIN-
Jason Powell
Nope. Not in the wrong area. I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be posted here. If I thought it didn't belong I would have moved or deleted the post.

Why is this unprofessional? Nothing the OP posted is close to "non professional." I look at it as a conversation starter. Sure, it would be great if the OP would be part of our community. BEFORE going for a big post like this, but in my book, it's go big or go home.

I think we're a smart community and understand we need to do our due diligence on posts like this...
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #8
Rene A.

Rene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really nice

[QUOTE=

1. Yes there is pay! Anyone who is hired by this company will be paid by a page rate and the page rate will
be determined by how well the book sells. So the better the sales the better the rate.[/QUOTE]

But doesn't an artist have to DRAW the page first before you can SELL the title? Did I miss something? So in theory an artist can draw a page for nothing upfront and his/her pay is determined on how the book sells? Sounds like pay is based purely on royalties? I must be reading something incorrectly.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene A. View Post
But doesn't an artist have to DRAW the page first before you can SELL the title? Did I miss something? So in theory an artist can draw a page for nothing upfront and his/her pay is determined on how the book sells? Sounds like pay is based purely on royalties? I must be reading something incorrectly.
No, you're not. The formula is similar to what Image offers its talent.

At Image, you create the book, Image then takes a flat-fee for publishing and such things. The OP doesn't come out and say that, but it feels very similar to how Image does things.
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

I don't know what is up with this but it does not add up for the reasons Jason and Rene brought up and also the name that he has given out can't be found. There is no Georgeano_G on twitter that I could find .
I did find George Gionis is on Linked In as a kubert school student. The lawyers are real.
He seems more interested in legal matters than with creating. He already has lawyers but can't show anything he has so far.
I may not know what is going on here but I would not get to exited till he comes up with some more substantial references. Up front and forth coming should be standard procedure when looking to work with others.

Just my observations.
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brian deberry View Post
Nope. Not in the wrong area. I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be posted here. If I thought it didn't belong I would have moved or deleted the post.

Why is this unprofessional? Nothing the OP posted is close to "non professional." I look at it as a conversation starter. Sure, it would be great if the OP would be part of our community. BEFORE going for a big post like this, but in my book, it's go big or go home.

I think we're a smart community and understand we need to do our due diligence on posts like this...

I don't know, I thought the general rule was that if you are looking for talent, collaboration or whatever, you are supposed to do it in the HELP wanted section. But it is your thread so whatever.

But, why is it unprofessional? We know who Image is, we know the creators, and before Image even started looking for outside talent it established itself first through Malibu comics. We don't know who Villainess is.

I looked to Google, like most people do, to see if I could find some information, but nothing.

If a company told me they wanted me to send my resume and wouldn't tell me anything about them or I couldn't find out anything about them, I would ignore it. I mean, if someone told you they wanted you to go work at a drink factory; it is probably going to matter whether they make Coke or P!$$ water (I am exaggerating of course).

I appreciate him/her giving a bit more information here but what professional credits do you have (Do you know how many artists have submitted work to me whom went to and graduated from The Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Arts that really, let say, are not ready for publication?), how are you financing this venture (do you have capital), what is your reputation. Etc... These things matter and are the professional thing to do.

For all we know this could be a 10 yr old, sitting in his room, pretending to be something they are not because they have ideas of grader.

And I am not just saying this for my own "mightier than though" mentality as I am sure some think. I am honestly pointing these things out so Villainess can improve their presentation (so to speak) and help guide the right talent to his/her project. For instance we now know they are not looking for creator owned projects and some people (like myself) only like to produce our own stuff (though I have helped other in the past).

And Paul, this nothing like what Image offers. I don't know how you got that. Image makes it clear their payments are backend because basically you are working for yourself.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #12
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnake View Post
I don't know what is up with this but it does not add up for the reasons Jason and Rene brought up and also the name that he has given out can be found. There is no Georgeano_G on twitter that I could find .
I did find George Gionis is on Linked In as a kubert school student. The lawyers are real.
He seems more interested in legal matters than with creating. He already has lawyers but can't show anything he has so far.
I may not know what is going on here but I would not get to exited till he comes up with some more substantial references. Up front and forth coming should be standard procedure when looking to work with others.

Just my observations.
Exactly!
Old 06-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #13
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

Yes, there are questions. No, the OP did not really answer any of them.

Let's break it down some:

Finances: This is the biggest hurdle that most companies face. Setting aside the payment of the talent for a moment, is there money to print the books? Printers are not going to be paid on spec. If the answer is some sort of crowdfunding scheme, then I suggest everyone walk away right now. You will not get back the investment in time this way.

Then there is the paying of the talent. Lots of hard work would go into creating your books. Being paid a page rate based on a percentage of sales will be a non-starter for any creator worth their salt. It's like this: you're not ready to launch yet, and won't be ready until next year sometime. However, in order to be ready for launch, books have to be created. Creators won't know what they're being paid because the books aren't selling yet, and won't sell until you're ready for launch. So in essence, you're asking creators not only to do work for free with a hazy explanation of payment at a future date, you're asking them to do free work at least nine months without any payment. (This is assuming you launch on Jan 1 and are distributed by Diamond.)

The Company: I understand that you have a universe full of characters that you want to see brought to life. However, these are all your characters. Creators have no incentive to bring your characters to life because you haven't given them any. They have their own stories to work on.

Anyone with any real experience knows that you're not going to be able to launch a company with 30+ titles all at once. You're not going to be able to launch 5. Not unless you're already a multi-millionaire, and if that's the case, you wouldn't be talking about paying people a page rate on spec. You'd be looking at established creators to help launch the books with the help of their name recognition.

What is your business plan? Everyone has superheroes. Superheroes glut the market, so your plan better have a way to steal readers from Marvel and DC. What makes your universe unique? Do you have a process that will make your books stand out from the crowd? Do you have anything at all that says there is a need for your books to be read? Do you have any value proposition for readers to buy your comics instead of the lowest-selling Marvel or DC book?

Take a hard, realistic look at what you have at your table, and put it against anything already on the shelves, because that's your competition. Those books have already been created and sold.

What you have right now is a germ of an idea. Without any way to pay for the talent you want, that's really all you have. This is no longer the 90s. Image is no longer new, there is no longer the feeling of the Wild West when it comes to comics. Many of you (people with ideas of creating 30+ titles with no idea of what it really takes to create a single comic because they haven't done it) have come and gone through here with nothing to show for their efforts, leaving a bad taste in the mouths of creators who climb aboard with wide eyes because they think this is their shot.

Get your financing. Get a structure in place (editors, marketing, finance). Look at the marketplace and see what niche you can fill. Then you can start recruiting people and actually have something to show them. Ideas are fine, but you're trying to get to a place where the rubber meets the road, and those of us who have been around for a while are finding you lacking.

If you want to talk more, email me. stevedforbes@gmail.com.

Hope this helps.
-Steven
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #14
Villainess

Sorry to disappoint you Mr. Powell but I' am a legitimate comic book publishing company. Also I find it very strange that you and "Artsnake", by the way nice name, both keep asking if I have capital or financial backing.

First off, that's just rude and unprofessional of you to post on my page but in this case I will be more than happy to oblige you and Snake Plissken over there!

Now to answer your original question I will simply put it like this -- wouldn't it make sense if someone who posted a job, or a job for the near future, to actually have capital to support the in's and out's of the company's needs and for anyone who is applying! Yes, salaries need to be paid! Yes, stationery supplies are needed! Yes, it costs money to print monthly issues / books! So the answer of course is yes!

So to the both of you my answer is yes! I have the capital, I have the financial backing! Now that I've stated this here in the post I like to add that my original post was about reviewing portfolios not about employment so the topic of capital or who financing the projects wasn't really any of your concern or business to begin with.

However, to make you guys feel better here's what the comic company's going rates are (when it officially launches next year):

WRITERS WILL BE PAID:

Writer ( Full Script ) - from $100.00 to $300.00 per page + 12% royalties per project

Writer ( Co-plotter ) - from $50.00 to $100.00 per page + 10% royalties per project

Writer ( Script Outline ) - from $20.00 to $100.00 per page, no royalties per project

PENCILERS WILL BE PAID:

Penciler ( Sequential Artist ) - from $160.00 to $260.00 per page + 12% royalties per project

Penciler ( Layout Artist ) - from $80.00 to $130.00 per page, no royalties per project

Penciler ( Cover Artist ) - from $200.00 to $600.00 per cover, no royalties per project

INKERS WILL BE PAID:

Inker - from $100.00 to $140.00 per page + 10% royalties per project

COLORISTS WILL BE PAID:

Colorist ( Flatter ) - from $15.00 to $20.00 per page

Colorist - from $35.00 to $125.00 per page

LETTERERS WILL BE PAID:

Letterer - from $10.00 to $50.00 per page

Oh and that's another thing I'm going to address and make clear right now! Georgeano G is a nickname that I go by and that nickname is not on "Twitter".

This is what "Artsnake" posted and what I' am going to address now:

"the name that he has given out can't be found. There is no Georgeano_G on twitter that I could find ."

Please, show me anywhere that states in writing or in pop culture that if your name / nickname isn't on "Twitter" it automatically makes you, or your business, illegitimate. You sound like a total oxymoron!

Now to clarify the next issue which is:

"He seems more interested in legal matters than with creating. He already has lawyers but can't show anything he has so far."

Well of course I can't show anyone anything yet! Plus if you think that you can thrive in the comic book industry without knowing something pertaining to trademark and copyright law I feel totally sad for the both of you guys because the reality of the matter is there are people out there who would steal your original works right from under you in a heartbeat! And that's just the harsh facts of life.

Like I said before my attorney has advised me not to give out the name of the comic book publishing company just yet. This is simply because anyone who knows anything about intellectual property laws knows that it may take anywhere from six months to a year, or more, to process a trademark application. However, copyright applications only take up to three months to process.

So in plain english, the intellectually property attorney that I've hired to file my comic book company's official name, logo, scripts, and characters are still basically being processed by the "USPTO" which is why I said I cannot reveal the company name just yet.

Booyah Baby! I bet you that "Jason Powell" and "Artsy Fartsy Snake" are feeling pretty damn stupid right about now, LOL!!!

Anyways, I guess I should re-explain this for those of you who didn't understand the point of this post...

"I' AM NOT HIRING ANYONE YET"

"I' AM ONLY REVIEWING PORTFOLIOS FOR NOW"

As for "Jason Powell" and "Artsnake" the reason why you clowns couldn't find anything about my comic book publishing company, or the comic book company's official website, is because I paid to have the information kept private from the internet.

My business strategy was simple. I didn't want to give my competition ( meaning: Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, etc. ) the heads up. After all it is a business, a very glamorous one, but nonetheless a business and I'm pretty sure that the other comic book companies don't want to share their profits.

Bottom line, this is America the land of opportunity! I don't need to have a reputation to start a business. That's like saying "Lou Scheimer" shouldn't have started Filmation because he had no reputation, no connections, nothing. But yet he succeeded, made his dreams come true, worked hard and became a legend. The point that I'm making here is he had nothing and knew no one in the business. he just kept aiming for what he wanted and then he manifested it.

So if you, Jason Powell and Artsnake, don't like what I'm doing, what I'm offering, please by all means don't apply.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #15
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

Just a quick tip:

Name-calling doesn't help. People want to understand. Calling names does not help your case. It actually makes people want to work with you less because it makes you look unprofessional.

Thanks.
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote