Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Help Wanted / Jobs > Help Wanted / Collaborations

Old 06-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #16
Villainess

Villainess is on a distinguished road

You are absolutely right Mr. Forbes, I apologize for the name-calling. My passion for succeeding sometimes gets the best of me. When I posted here I had no idea that this would become such a heated topic for some.

Thank you.
Villainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #17
DCdraw

DCdraw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess View Post
When I posted here I had no idea that this would become such a heated topic for some.
Well, no, it seems to be a heated topic for you and you alone. A few people rationally voiced some legit questions and concerns and you seemed to have taken it as a personal attack for some reason, when it clearly wasn't.
DCdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #18
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

Dear Villainess my earlier comment may have been a bit brisk but I stand by my observations.
It says your twitter user name is Georgeano_G in your user profile on this very forum.

It sounds like you hide all your information because someone might look you up. Not a good sign in my book.
I look up any one I am trying to work with. If you don't that is foolish.

Copy write paranoia is one of the oldest creative cripplers in the creative world.
So scared of getting ripped off no one will ever see the work.
Great concepts have to be worked over with input from as many places you can get it. The chances of anyone person coming up with a great transcendent concept is almost minuscule.
If you did come up with the next great thing the chances of anyone else recognizing it is almost as unlikely until you pound it into their heads. Lots of work.
You have nothing to lose. Show us what you've got
And don't make fun of my user name. It came at a very sensitive time in my life.
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #19
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't be interested in this because I'm not interested in work for hire, but no one is going to take you seriously just because you type some dreams on a forum. It would be best to come back and look for help when you have something worth showing. And it doesn't seem like OP has anything worth showing or otherwise.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:59 AM   #20
Villainess

Artsnake,

It's "copyright" not "copy write". Also I do have a Twitter account with the name Georgeano_G. I just totally forgot
to tweet my first tweet, oops! You can go back to Twitter and try to find me, my page will pop up now. Also I do
apologize for making fun of your user name, I admit it was insensitive of me.

You want to know who I' am? I'm the guy standing next to legendary comic book writer / editor / artist " Jim Shooter ".
I great man who taught me the most essential part of sequential art and that was to tell the story without words. He
was right, I walked out of there a 50% better sequential artist.

Also I'm not hiding any information I will show anyone my portfolio which has various illustrations of characters from
both DC Comics and Marvel. I just simply wont show, or reveal, any of my original works without it first being registered
by the USPTO. Anyways, I hope we can patch things between us and move forward Artsnake.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:57 AM   #21
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

Yeah my spelling sucks I'm an artist not a righter. Although I might be righter than some.
As for the the name it's kind of stupid but this is probably the first thing I registered to on the internet. I didin't know much back then.
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:20 AM   #22
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Jason Powell has disabled reputation

Villianess, look me up, Jason Powell, FYI COMICS. I have not only published books, I have also worked with many, many publishers and pros throughout my years, including Digital Webbing.

I know a little bit about this.

The questions I asked you where to help you get legitimacy for and from you.

You are suggesting and trying to start a business. No one with any commonscene wants to start working for anyone without knowing some basic information about them. Think of it like this, when you borrow money from a bank, they are going to want to know all about what you are doing and how you are going to pay them back. Do you really expect less from a possible employee whom will be investing their time, energy, and money into your company?

See I, and most anyone, do not want to hurt myself and my rep trying to help you achieve your dream. Now I am not saying we don't take risks from time to time, but we still want to minimize that risk.

Your defensive stance and name calling is unwarranted and childish which makes me believe you are not ready for this. The industry is rough. If you act like this to people trying to help you then you are in for a rude awakening.

You really need to step back and reevaluate what you are doing. It might help to take some business courses or atleast read some books in business ethics and overall management.

And yes I probably misspelled also, sorry.

One other thing, it doesn't matter whom you met are set through a class with. It is what have you done? I could list a page of pros I have met and set through classes with, most people in this forum can. But they didn't help me publish one book or story.

So don't brag about whom you met. I don't care if your uncle was Stan Lee; tell me and us what you have done. Have you even had a book you drew or even worked on published by another company?

Oh and you may think I am a asshole for saying all this, and I am a bit too much, but one of the best teachers I had was an extreme asshole who told I would never do anything. But in doing so he taught me to stop being such a dreamer and looking at all these things that I was doing wrong. Like for instance I used to type all in caps. And I even pissed of some good friends because I wouldn't listen to their advice. Things like that, I regret 20 yrs later.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #23
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Ok. Sorry, I don’t want to be a naysayer. But I think you if you want start a new comics books company as Marvel, DC or Image are, you are putting the cart in front of the horses.
From my POV, for starting a comics books company, last thing to do would be to ask for artist’s portfolios on a comic’s forums. First thing to do would be to have project worked up. To have some really good books published. Books made with the help of professional artists and writers. Paying them the rates you already are promising. (You can find them online on their own websites.) Get these books working in the mainstream market for comic’s books. Get a registered website. Get some good sales from these books. Get presence in some comics conventions showing your products ( the books) to all audiences. All these steps will probe to the comic’s community that you are for real a new comics book company founder. And then, after that entire saying is done, go and start asking for portfolios in comic’s forums online.
For my POV, that would be the professional way for starting a new comics books company.
To claim to be the founder of a new comics book company that doesn't exist yet as presentation card? I don't see it coming.

https://www.deviantart.com/savideduardo
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #24
Villainess

Thank you all for your great input, I appreciate the help and guidance, I also want to thank those who allowed me review your work / portfolios. I' am done reviewing for now and I will keep in touch.

Sincerely

Georgeano G
Old 06-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #25
Pete Tha Creep

Pete Tha Creep is on a distinguished road

Totally missed this crapfest, but after this read I would advise any artist to accept advance payment in full only, including estimated royalties for the first year. If this kind of reactions are triggered from casual question posting, imagine the behaviour when there is actual money on the line.
Pete Tha Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #26
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Tha Creep View Post
Totally missed this crapfest, but after this read I would advise any artist to accept advance payment in full only, including estimated royalties for the first year. If this kind of reactions are triggered from casual question posting, imagine the behaviour when there is actual money on the line.
It does matter if there is pay or not, at least not at this point, it is being informative with your solicitation.

It is fair to do an open ended solicitation to get a feel for the industry or whatever but if you do it blindly then you are going to be questioned about it because, while you may think there is no cost involved in asking for digital submissions think about the time people take to prepare those submissions. As they say, time is money.

Also when you are submitting you want to know your audience so you can see if you think you can work together.

My point is/was if you are going to solicit for help, at least give a basic guide so people can prepare. It is the professional thing to do.

-Jason
Old 06-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #27
Pete Tha Creep

Pete Tha Creep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Powell View Post
It does matter if there is pay or not, at least not at this point, it is being informative with your solicitation.

It is fair to do an open ended solicitation to get a feel for the industry or whatever but if you do it blindly then you are going to be questioned about it because, while you may think there is no cost involved in asking for digital submissions think about the time people take to prepare those submissions. As they say, time is money.

Also when you are submitting you want to know your audience so you can see if you think you can work together.

My point is/was if you are going to solicit for help, at least give a basic guide so people can prepare. It is the professional thing to do.

-Jason
Completely agree on all points.

The prospect of payment is a serious lure to start spec work for a lot of talent out there waiting for their break. My advice is simply: dont do it! When in doubt, charge up front. Client throws a fit before work even starts: charge double up front. Once the money is on your account, being insulted feels much less bitter

The reaction to some reasonable questions was totally unfit for consideration for a serious business, even BEFORE money was on the line. Should disagreements about actual paid work arise with this client, you can only imagine the namecalling and threats of lawsuits and other harassment is what Im saying.
Pete Tha Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #28
DCdraw

DCdraw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Powell View Post
while you may think there is no cost involved in asking for digital submissions think about the time people take to prepare those submissions. As they say, time is money.
The amount of time putting together a digital submission is minuscule at best. People regularly freelancing are already going to have links to their work or low res jpegs on hand. And it takes nothing to write a short email (people don't want to read the entire history of your life on earth). Even better, something I used to do,is to have a generic enquiry already written out so its just a matter of copying and pasting.
I'd imagine people spending substantial amounts of time, scrambling to put something together don't regularly freelance and aren't in the habit of sending out submissions.
DCdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #29
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

I guess that is different to asking for submissions out of the blue than asking for the address of our online portfolio.
I guess the first think should be to ask for and see the artist portfolio, next to that would be to contact the matching artists and ask for a submission online Always showing the artists the parameters for the project. IMHO.

Different issue is to send submissions to a company with proved trajectory in the market than sending submissions to who knows who.

https://www.deviantart.com/savideduardo
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:15 AM   #30
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCdraw View Post
The amount of time putting together a digital submission is minuscule at best. People regularly freelancing are already going to have links to their work or low res jpegs on hand. And it takes nothing to write a short email (people don't want to read the entire history of your life on earth). Even better, something I used to do,is to have a generic enquiry already written out so its just a matter of copying and pasting.
I'd imagine people spending substantial amounts of time, scrambling to put something together don't regularly freelance and aren't in the habit of sending out submissions.
Danny, I understand what your saying sending blind submission seems smart, but when I published comics I hated getting submission like that. I fact I ignored them more often then not because what art was sent was not what I was looking for. And then, later on I would see so and so artist somewhere and they would ask me about it, and then once I told them their style didn't fit my vision they complained that they could draw a style I liked if I asked. Which I then replied well why didn't you show me that? They sent a blind ,generic, submission expecting me to know they could do more. Not to mention the ones whom don't send professional resumes.

See while it is my job to tell you what I am planning, I need you to tell me how your services are going to benefit me.

For instance looking at your link, you are an incredible artist. Your figure drawings are outstanding. But can you draw backgrounds? Can you do panel to panel design to tell a comic story to fit your characters? I am sure you can but if you sent only that link I would have to question and wonder why you are not showing me that.