Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 05-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
SpaceCadet

SpaceCadet is on a distinguished road

Creating Lightning

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, so please set me straight if this doesn't belong here.

I am working on a mini series, mostly for my own enjoyment, but maybe at some point it could be something more.

I am writing a scene where the main character just experienced the death of her parents. As she walks home from staking out the Psychiatric Hospital where the killer is now living (plea of insanity), it begins raining, which then turns into a storm.

My question is, how can a storm, specifically lightning, be conveyed properly through a page? I have tried to look through my comics without any luck.

Can this be drawn?

Thanks
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

sure it can! Is it color or black and white...you can do some pretty awesome things with black and white if need be.
Duane Korslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
SpaceCadet

I'm just writing it. Will look into art once I finish the first issue. In my mind it is in color, but I suppose B&W would work.

Does the lightning have to appear gradually, or can we go instantly from rain with no lightning to a bolt with sound effects?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

well...if you think about lighting...its quick...slashing....maybe like a snakes tongue...so you probably dont want to have much build up...I'd move into it quickly...give it the page a darting tone...lighting can preclude rain so you can look at it that way.
Thats if the focus is the lighting...if you're focusing on the rain...its a bit different...
Duane Korslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
SpaceCadet

Good advice thanks.

Now the lighting change because of the lightning: is this something that I need to write into the script or is it something that the artist must have control over?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
DaveyDouble
Wise Ass

DaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really nice

I all depends on the atmosphere (pun intended) you're trying to evoke. The use of a storm for this kind of scene is called (I think...) Pathetic Fallacy, or a kind of it anyway.
King Lear is a perfect example. A sudden storm will give a certain impression, a slow burner will string out the tension. Witnessing a storm gathering gives an ominous feel to a scene and so on.
DaveyDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
SpaceCadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDouble View Post
I all depends on the atmosphere (pun intended) you're trying to evoke. The use of a storm for this kind of scene is called (I think...) Pathetic Fallacy, or a kind of it anyway.
King Lear is a perfect example. A sudden storm will give a certain impression, a slow burner will string out the tension. Witnessing a storm gathering gives an ominous feel to a scene and so on.
Did not realize there was a term for this but thanks! That's exactly what I am going for. It's a personification of her emotions. There is also a deeper meaning there which would be a long winded post because it is the theme of the whole series.

Thanks for that information.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

You're getting some good information in here, Space Cadet. Use it well.
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
SpaceCadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Forbes View Post
You're getting some good information in here, Space Cadet. Use it well.
I know! First post too. Also thanks for getting me registered.

Now this is an unrelated question. I know The Proving Grounds is a more formal way of getting work edited and it is a guarantee. However, can a writer post in the Showcase section to receive feedback? Or is that purely finished work?
Old 05-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

Of course a writer can post in the Writer's Showcase to get feedback.

It'll be looked at, but there's no guarantee that there will be feedback, or that that feedback will be useful.

Just read the rules in there first. I hate deleting posts, but I do it if the rules aren't followed.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
SpaceCadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Forbes View Post
Of course a writer can post in the Writer's Showcase to get feedback.

It'll be looked at, but there's no guarantee that there will be feedback, or that that feedback will be useful.

Just read the rules in there first. I hate deleting posts, but I do it if the rules aren't followed.
Alright so roll of the dice basically. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

You're welcome. Always happy to help.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #13
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Lightning? Thor and Storm are producing these almost all the time.

http://www.fourletternerd.com/wp-con...per-957792.jpg

http://www.alajwah.com/wp-content/up...-wallpaper.jpg

http://www.hdwallpaperpc.com/cover/7...tail_thumb.jpg

http://wallpaperswa.com/thumbnails/d...rhi.com_42.jpg
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #14
SpaceCadet

Thanks. The last two were especially helpful. I'm not an artist, but I do want to keep in mind the difficulty of creating these images. One thing I am having trouble deciding is whether I should write in how the lightning affects the lighting of the room and the character or if that is an artist decision.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
gummahfan

gummahfan has a spectacular aura aboutgummahfan has a spectacular aura aboutgummahfan has a spectacular aura about

Not sure if this pertains to your scene, but when I think of dramatic lightning, I usually picture the panel focusing on the character instead of the skyline. So, maybe an image of the character flooded in a white light, or a few images to show the contrast? Just a thought.

If you want to buy the book digitally, pick it up here

@cedricklui || cedricklui.com
gummahfan is offline   Reply With Quote