Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 07-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #391
artman

artman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Curious about process with things like clip studio (if that was the one you use, I don't know software that well)... Do you sketch an underdrawing in that program? Then go over it using their inking tools?
I love clip studio, I've used other programs but it is the best program for comics.

My process, I start with a series of sketches, generally one sketch per layer. If a sketch shows potential I will lower opacity and retrace on a new layer. If i dont like a sketch I will delete the layer which in the end produces a sort of digital sketchbook. I will look at the sketches and develop the better ones. If I like it enough i will cut and paste it into a new project and title it and produce a finished project. Even for a black and white project I create new layers in order to add to or change a drawing until I'm sure I like the changes. It can result in many layers which I may or may not flatten later.

Here are some examples of unused sketches, they have not been redrawn, some are basic and some are more developed.

artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #392
kong
Shrapnel collector...

kong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to all

The top right sketch is really nice.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #393
artman

Tim sale draws bulky guys in suits really well, trying to do my version. Thanks kong.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #394
kong
Shrapnel collector...

kong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by artman View Post
Tim sale draws bulky guys in suits really well, trying to do my version. Thanks kong.
I was getting more of a Mignola vibe, but yea Tim Sale's Batman art was great, thing one was called The Long Halloween.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #395
artman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong View Post
I was getting more of a Mignola vibe, but yea Tim Sale's Batman art was great, thing one was called The Long Halloween.
Mignola is a guy I try to draw like, he does everything I like, great design ,high contrast lighting, moody tone and more. In my opinion, if you're going to draw like someone you have to understand what he is doing. I'm trying. I have been looking at the long Halloween lately tho.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #396
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Those sketches look quite finished.. But I guess if you developed them, you would gray them down and redraw over them on a new layer?
Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #397
artman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Those sketches look quite finished.. But I guess if you developed them, you would gray them down and redraw over them on a new layer?
Thanks for sharing.
Yeah TimR, when I work on a sketch I may refine proportions, clean up lines, redraw some bits and more. With sketches I get the idea on virtual paper as fast as I can and go from there. Greying the first sketch makes the next step feel more like inking.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #398
artman

Batman, 52 Joker pickup

Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 AM   #399
artman

Mecha...dark mode

Still working on mechs. I wonder how Manga artists could draw mechs consistantly without a 3d model.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #400
Metalni
wise man said...

Metalni has a spectacular aura aboutMetalni has a spectacular aura aboutMetalni has a spectacular aura about

Lol, that is a really good question.
Nice artworks man!
Metalni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #401
artman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalni View Post
Lol, that is a really good question.
Nice artworks man!
Thanks Metalni, may have to research the question. Before 3d models I'm betting they used model sheets but nowadays 3d programs once the character is built make it so easy.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #402
artman

iron

Old 07-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #403
Pete Tha Creep

Pete Tha Creep is on a distinguished road

Cool design on that latest one! I think the font is competing for attention a bit too much. Otherwise it is completely awesome energy
Pete Tha Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #404
artman

Thanks Pete Tha Creep, very good point.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:51 PM   #405
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by artman View Post
I love clip studio, I've used other programs but it is the best program for comics.

My process, I start with a series of sketches, generally one sketch per layer. If a sketch shows potential I will lower opacity and retrace on a new layer. If i dont like a sketch I will delete the layer which in the end produces a sort of digital sketchbook. I will look at the sketches and develop the better ones. If I like it enough i will cut and paste it into a new project and title it and produce a finished project. Even for a black and white project I create new layers in order to add to or change a drawing until I'm sure I like the changes. It can result in many layers which I may or may not flatten later.

Here are some examples of unused sketches, they have not been redrawn, some are basic and some are more developed.

Wow, love this one for some reasons. I do loved all of your entries here. You said this was done in Clip Studio? My daughter loaded up the program for me but I haven't tried it yet. This looks good!
pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote