Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 05-14-2015, 03:54 AM   #1
emmanuelxerxjavier

emmanuelxerxjavier has a spectacular aura aboutemmanuelxerxjavier has a spectacular aura about

daredevil-wedding sample

Hi guys, so i finally had time to work on a sample script from daredevil. quite a long time since i did pencils on big paper....
let me know what you guys think. . thanks for dropping by.
here's more from my deviantart gallery:
http://emmanuelxerxjavier.deviantart.com/gallery
page1

page2

page3

page4

page5
emmanuelxerxjavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 04:40 AM   #2
sevans
www.artofevans.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

I like the 'sonar' vision panels. Good idea.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.artofevans.nz

https://www.instagram.com/artofevans/
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
stuey
Wise ass!

stuey is on a distinguished road

Fantastic samples, very easy to read.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
Rob Norton
apprentice of the pencil

Rob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to behold

some very slick pages. neat storytelling. nice backgrounds.

that first big pic of DD is all cool until you get to his lower legs/knee area. like his right leg is all jacked up from the knee down. the knee is pointing to the left, but his foot is all twisted to the right, so it looks really odd. the other leg has a similar problem.

page 2 panel 2, the profile pic looks weird. chin is wrong, nose is off. this face doesn't look anything like the very awesome panel directly above it. like its not even the same dude.

otherwise its all cool really. I agree that the "sonar" vision is great.

rob
Rob Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:11 AM   #5
engcheedraws

engcheedraws will become famous soon enough

Great pages! Love the backgrounds! Love the action and energy! Love all the characters, including the background ones! Good stuff!
Old 05-17-2015, 02:21 AM   #6
emmanuelxerxjavier

emmanuelxerxjavier has a spectacular aura aboutemmanuelxerxjavier has a spectacular aura about

thanks for the kind words stuey, sevans and engcheedraws.
thanks for the Critique Rob, yeap, i had trouble with that leg-foot, i should have worked longer on that one... it wasn't a very easy angle .
Old 05-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
MattTriano
Storyteller for Comics

MattTriano has a spectacular aura aboutMattTriano has a spectacular aura about

Nice work overall. Unfortunately we've seen these pages from Paolo Rivera in DD #1 and it's hard not to compare/contrast; your shots are sometimes different from his, but certain things have to stay the same in order to convey the same info. Tightrope.

I said that to say this: more reference. You know your perspective, I think you 'get' storytelling, but there's a lot of fakery here in gesture and expression. The trees are all kinda bullshit, right? You've cut a few corners.

I think these are really tight layouts that need another pass in pencil. Which line is the right line, how would an inker know? Are you going for a sloppy look in inks or would you expect your finisher to redraw a lot of this? The latter might not be viable in 2015, that's something even Marvel has stopped doing: nobody assigns Finishers, which is why a lot of guys pencil really tightly. You don't have to be super tight if you ink yourself, what does that look like?

A lot of questions. The biggest is how old are you and how serious about this are you? These are ok pages but they're not quite there, with solid structural efforts but indecisive cosmetics.

I actually think the function of these pages might be done; I don't think you should give this one a second pass or even a polishing, it's good enough. Use as a jumping off point for a new set of samples, maybe something you write, that includes costume and location changes as well as dramatic exchanges between characters, all wordlessly (no dialogue or captions intended).

Thanks for sharing these, keep going! Post more when you can.

Best,
M
MattTriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
emmanuelxerxjavier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTriano View Post
Nice work overall. Unfortunately we've seen these pages from Paolo Rivera in DD #1 and it's hard not to compare/contrast; your shots are sometimes different from his, but certain things have to stay the same in order to convey the same info. Tightrope.

I said that to say this: more reference. You know your perspective, I think you 'get' storytelling, but there's a lot of fakery here in gesture and expression. The trees are all kinda bullshit, right? You've cut a few corners.

I think these are really tight layouts that need another pass in pencil. Which line is the right line, how would an inker know? Are you going for a sloppy look in inks or would you expect your finisher to redraw a lot of this? The latter might not be viable in 2015, that's something even Marvel has stopped doing: nobody assigns Finishers, which is why a lot of guys pencil really tightly. You don't have to be super tight if you ink yourself, what does that look like?

A lot of questions. The biggest is how old are you and how serious about this are you? These are ok pages but they're not quite there, with solid structural efforts but indecisive cosmetics.

I actually think the function of these pages might be done; I don't think you should give this one a second pass or even a polishing, it's good enough. Use as a jumping off point for a new set of samples, maybe something you write, that includes costume and location changes as well as dramatic exchanges between characters, all wordlessly (no dialogue or captions intended).

Thanks for sharing these, keep going! Post more when you can.

Best,
M
thanks for taking time to review the sample pages Matt. i saw your gallery, it's amazing!.
i'm not a young dude, i'm 34... i usually ink my own work, very few occasions i do pencils only. i like it though. yes, i agree, i was thinking of doing another pass on the pencils, but had to return to work on another project.

inbetween projects, i practice on old marvel scripts. and i haven't seen the DD#1, but the sample script says Paolo Rivera on it... he's amazing, i refrain from looking from it though so i can create my own layouts of the script without comparison in my head. .
Old 05-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Maybe you should start with a smaller publisher as IDW, Boom or Dynamite.
You should be sampling to them. IMHO.
Great pages.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
MattTriano
Storyteller for Comics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
Maybe you should start with a smaller publisher as IDW, Boom or Dynamite.
You should be sampling to them. IMHO.
Great pages.
You're assuming a lot. You can use any characters in samples so long as the work is good; conventions are the only way to get samples seen anyway, neither the three you mentioned nor Marvel or DC accept unsolicited samples.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
MattTriano
Storyteller for Comics

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuelxerxjavier View Post
thanks for taking time to review the sample pages Matt. i saw your gallery, it's amazing!.
i'm not a young dude, i'm 34... i usually ink my own work, very few occasions i do pencils only. i like it though. yes, i agree, i was thinking of doing another pass on the pencils, but had to return to work on another project.

inbetween projects, i practice on old marvel scripts. and i haven't seen the DD#1, but the sample script says Paolo Rivera on it... he's amazing, i refrain from looking from it though so i can create my own layouts of the script without comparison in my head. .
Thank you so much!

Here are the pages as published in DD#1 by Waid and Rivera. It was good of you to stay away from them before now, I don't think I could have done it!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #12
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
You're assuming a lot. You can use any characters in samples so long as the work is good; conventions are the only way to get samples seen anyway, neither the three you mentioned nor Marvel or DC accept unsolicited samples. FYI.
But they did accept your samples. Maybe all what he need is a good agent showing his samples to these publishers.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #13
MattTriano
Storyteller for Comics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
But they did accept your samples. Maybe all what he need is a good agent showing his samples to these publishers.
I don't know if you're addressing me when you say 'your samples' but I've never done unsolicited samples that got me work except my senior coursework at art school which consisted of a portfolio of pages from several short stories and illustrations and eventually got me my first pro assignment in comics.

Although unsolicited samples used to get people jobs in the past, that isn't the case anymore. An agent only helps, I don't know if he has one.

Keep doing samples and showing them where you can, make them as finished and effective as you possibly can and if you find an editor's email don't be an asshole; you'll know soon enough if he or she wants to hear more. Hopefully they do
Old 05-17-2015, 10:10 PM   #14
emmanuelxerxjavier

Quote:
Thank you so much!

Here are the pages as published in DD#1 by Waid and Rivera. It was good of you to stay away from them before now, I don't think I could have done it!
thank you for the link from DD #1.
whoa, Paolo did an awesome stuff there, amazing stuff, i could not have seen those layouts in my head from the script . his work - especially the movement and the action is really elegant.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #15
Scribbly

Quote:
I don't know if you're addressing me when you say 'your samples' but I've never done unsolicited samples that got me work except my senior coursework at art school which consisted of a portfolio of pages from several short stories and illustrations and eventually got me my first pro assignment in comics.

Although unsolicited samples used to get people jobs in the past, that isn't the case anymore. An agent only helps, I don't know if he has one.

Keep doing samples and showing them where you can, make them as finished and effective as you possibly can and if you find an editor's email don't be an asshole; you'll know soon enough if he or she wants to hear more. Hopefully they do
Yes, I am addressing you when I say "your samples", because at some point you must had to show "your" unsolicited samples to somebody in order to get your job as published comics artist. Wherever it was in a convention, showing your coursework to somebody, sending samples by email or regular mail or having a diligent agent doing the moves for you.
My advise to this artist is to work samples for publishers that are below the line of the big 4 publishers and go from there to the top. This guy has real talent and conditions, regardless how old he may be, or where he lives. These Daredevil samples are not his best stuff, compared with what he has shown before in these forums. And I truly believe he would be a good fit for any of these publishers I mentioned. From my perspective, the only thing this guy need is to have the proper contacts.
Maybe you would like to address him to the attention of your artistic agent?
That could be a nice thing to do. Don't you think?

Tags
daredevil, marvel, sample