Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
JerMohler
Peace in my mind...

JerMohler has a spectacular aura aboutJerMohler has a spectacular aura aboutJerMohler has a spectacular aura about

Jeremy's Art

Hello folks!

It's been some time since I last posted much artwork over here at Digital Webbing (though to be honest, I'm a major lurker - I'm over here a lot checking stuff out), but I've been thinking lately that it might be good to get a little more involved in the online community again. There are a lot of fantastic artists around here and it always helps to stay sharp by giving and receiving critiques occasionally.

I do a lot of different stuff, from full illustration, concept/character design, to layout work, a lot of color work lately, lettering, and just about anything else you can think of, including creative directing and project management through my company Outland Entertainment (you can see our visual development side over at www.outlandcreative.com). You can find my actual portfolio over at www.jeremymohler.com.

My plan is to use this thread to showcase all that variety - from sketches to completely finished artwork, probably some color work as well, and occasionally, I'll probably show some layouts (and the subsequent completed artwork) also.

Always feel free to let me know what you think! I'm always open to critique - and though I may not agree or use everything mentioned, I will always be appreciative of the time and energy it took to offer the criticism. I'll do my best to reciprocate!

I think I'll lead off with a full illustration I just completed at the start of this month.

This piece isn't without it's issues, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out. It was completed on my 21UX Cintiq and drawn/colored in PSCS2 (though I've recently upgraded to CS6). I talk more about the process over here.

I'll do my best to update this thread weekly (or more)! And I definitely look forward to hearing your thoughts on my work!

Thanks!

JM
----
www.jeremymohler.com
www.outlandentertainment.com
JerMohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Now, that is one big hummingbird! This piece is beautiful! The colors really pull it together. The line-work is not varied enough to work in BW, but the colors really make it nice to look at!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
JerMohler
Peace in my mind...

JerMohler has a spectacular aura aboutJerMohler has a spectacular aura aboutJerMohler has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Bishop! Yeah, this piece was meant for color. I lost meant, going in, to vary the line weights up just a little more from foreground to background than I did, but it sort of got away from me and by the time I was about 3/4 of the way through, I was just trying to push through and wrap it up. Either way, I appreciate your comment!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
UniverseX259
AKA Ian Miller

UniverseX259 is just really niceUniverseX259 is just really niceUniverseX259 is just really niceUniverseX259 is just really niceUniverseX259 is just really niceUniverseX259 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerMohler View Post
Thanks Bishop! Yeah, this piece was meant for color. I lost meant, going in, to vary the line weights up just a little more from foreground to background than I did, but it sort of got away from me and by the time I was about 3/4 of the way through, I was just trying to push through and wrap it up. Either way, I appreciate your comment!
Yeah, the piece looks great in color, but in B&W the lines blend together too much. Although you intended it to be fully colored, it's still a good idea to make sure the B&W piece stands well on its own. In my opinion, if a prior step in the creation of a piece of art suffers, then it has the potential to negatively affect the later stages of the piece.

Dead line weights work well for things like buildings or mechanical objects, but it's best to use some variation of line weights for organic objects. The mountains stand out the most to me - Even though they're not living things, you can create depth and indicate lighting and give them more life and vibrancy with some added line weights.

But overall you have a great piece, and I will say the colored piece isn't affected by the quality of the line weights.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
JuanNavarro
Writer/Artist FWACATA.com

JuanNavarro is on a distinguished road

Wow.... nice. The color is awesome, I like how the line work thins out in the background to give the atmospheric perspective...
JuanNavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
scherzo
I know things

scherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nice

This really comes to life when you scroll down to the color version. Great choices with the color, and I like the tilted camera here.

Minor nitpick is the main bird's wings don't quite match. It almost gives the impression of one artificial wing, with transplanted feathers from another bird. Minor distraction though, in a polished and professional effort.
scherzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
JerMohler
Peace in my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverseX259 View Post
Yeah, the piece looks great in color, but in B&W the lines blend together too much. Although you intended it to be fully colored, it's still a good idea to make sure the B&W piece stands well on its own. In my opinion, if a prior step in the creation of a piece of art suffers, then it has the potential to negatively affect the later stages of the piece.

Dead line weights work well for things like buildings or mechanical objects, but it's best to use some variation of line weights for organic objects. The mountains stand out the most to me - Even though they're not living things, you can create depth and indicate lighting and give them more life and vibrancy with some added line weights.

But overall you have a great piece, and I will say the colored piece isn't affected by the quality of the line weights.
Thanks for the kind words! I agree with you that the B&W piece needs to be able to stand alone, but more commonly, the approach has to be about the final product. This is a process thread, much of the reason why I showed the black and white work. Normally, only the color version would be seen. I'm not making excuses - the line weights in general need to be pushed more on this piece, I fully admit. With that said, it would still be an open line drawing without any real spotted blacks to help separate elements - it's still going to run together without color.

Also, there is line variation in the mountains, perhaps just too subtle. I'll try to push that more in the next piece I do on my Cintiq.

Thanks for the crit! I appreciate it!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
JerMohler
Peace in my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanNavarro View Post
Wow.... nice. The color is awesome, I like how the line work thins out in the background to give the atmospheric perspective...
Thanks Juan!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
JerMohler
Peace in my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo View Post
This really comes to life when you scroll down to the color version. Great choices with the color, and I like the tilted camera here.

Minor nitpick is the main bird's wings don't quite match. It almost gives the impression of one artificial wing, with transplanted feathers from another bird. Minor distraction though, in a polished and professional effort.
Scherzo! Thanks for the compliment on the color work!

I did reference the wings - so generally, the shapes are correct. It's a testament to how you can still screw things up even with reference that you are feeling that the wings don't match. I think I didn't quite pull the feather shapes off in the back wing quite right - it was difficult mostly because in all the reference I could find the feathers were a bit blurred.

Partly why I did this piece was to push myself on birds - something I have trouble with.

I appreciate the crit! Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
JerMohler
Peace in my mind...

I thought I'd start posting up some of the various challenges that I've completed over at Outland Collective.

For the majority of these challenges, we were given a single word or small phrase can we completed the artwork based on that. We've had a lot of different stuff!

This first one is from a "Myths and Legends" challenge -

The point of the challenge was to keep things fairly simple, only spend several hours on it (though I tend to average more like 3-4), and to have fun! Traditional work here, HB lead in my sketchbook.

Hope you like it!

JM
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
JAM

JAM has a spectacular aura aboutJAM has a spectacular aura aboutJAM has a spectacular aura about

Just passing through, thought I'd add: NICE work/great talent you have!

JAM,....................................
JAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
JerMohler
Peace in my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Just passing through, thought I'd add: NICE work/great talent you have!

JAM,....................................
Thanks JAM! Much appreciated! Feel free to stop by any time.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
dannycruz

dannycruz has disabled reputation

cool! any plans to do anything more with this...it seems to be begging to be inked lol.

like the first piece too. kinda a moebius vibe actually...not so much the style of the artwork. more like what you have going on in the picture, if that makes sense..
dannycruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
JerMohler
Peace in my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycruz View Post
cool! any plans to do anything more with this...it seems to be begging to be inked lol.

like the first piece too. kinda a moebius vibe actually...not so much the style of the artwork. more like what you have going on in the picture, if that makes sense..
Thanks Danny!

No intentions to do anything more with this at the moment, too many other things to do, haha. If you want to ink it, I could probably drum up a high res copy...

And I appreciate the kind words on the first piece - I've recently had several people mention Moebius in the same sentence as my work and I'm always supremely flattered, even though there's no way my work holds even the briefest of candles to his work. It's still extremely gracious.

(And BTW - LOVE Moebius!)

Thanks!

JM
Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
johnjohn

johnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nice

Great pics.
Love the minatour.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
digital art, fantasy, hummingbird, jeremy mohler, landscape