Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 03-14-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Fan Art Samples: Spiderman VS Scorpio

I found these old sample pages in their layout stages. Probably sometime in 1994. As you can see, I did all the actions staging first so that I can design the panels. I don't recall why I never finish them, it could be that I have already landed work back then. Now looking at this, I'm thinking to finish them using digital pencils. Hope you enjoy these layouts!

pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
artofrene

artofrene is on a distinguished road

Nice work, Dario! I really like the flow on page two. You can really follow that French tilt in panel one, and how the tail draws the eye to lower left corner and how spidey's foot shoots us over to the next panel. I can see why you got work!
artofrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofrene View Post
Nice work, Dario! I really like the flow on page two. You can really follow that French tilt in panel one, and how the tail draws the eye to lower left corner and how spidey's foot shoots us over to the next panel. I can see why you got work!
That's a great feedback Rene, thank you. Back in the day when I worked for Marvel Comics, for some reasons we layout using pencils and then we erased them before we finalized the pencils. After, I found out that I can use the non-print blue pencils which saves the time to erase. So, that's really helped in the layout stage. No need to erased even if you have to redo your mistakes.

With the advent of digital pencil, it's a bliss to work on the layouts. I still use the blue lines but it's much easier and can move thing around if needed. I'm really glad I've opted to doing digital work nowadays.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:19 AM   #4
artofrene

artofrene is on a distinguished road

That's interesting, I think each artist has their own methods. Ages ago, I remember reading about artist Bart Sears and how he would do his thumbnail roughs at actual size, then get a new art board and lightbox on top of it the final pencils. I guess he could make adjustments in that way. But I agree, working digital has it's advantages.

Someone saw the traditional inks I did recently and suggested I do my pencils digitally, then print them out and ink traditional. I'm going to do that on my next upcoming pages. I think it just is going to save time. When it comes to inking traditional for me, I am so working on autopilot it's quite relaxing.
artofrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Oh, yes! Traditional inking has its advantage but it's cumbersome on the revisions. I did traditional inking because I was used to doing it and it takes for me to ink a page like 4-6 hours depending on the details. So overall for me, from layout to pencils tightening and inking would be around 10 hours. I hate it when my client approved the layouts and then on the inking stage he wanted to change something. Geez, they didn't know how much work it takes to fix a page.

Digital inking takes more time but I don't need to finalize the layouts, I make sure that the inks work better. I tried to make it faster but it's not really easy. A page for me if it's detailed will take me two days. And if there's adjustment to be made, it's much faster.

I have a client that after a page was done, completely inked, she wanted to change the placement of the panels based on the changes she made on the script. It was good that I did it digitally. It took almost half a day to fix it but I didn't have to redo the page entirely. Otherwise she has to pay for the redone. I saved the page and the hard work I've already put in. The plus side was, she gave me a bit of money for the update. Win-win for us both.