Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Broma

Broma is on a distinguished road

New colorist looking for input advice and critique

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to click on this post. I'm new to the coloring scene and am going for an anime/ manga style looking for any input or advice on how to improve. My end goal with my art is to have published comic work. I know I have a long journey ahead of me. Thanks in advance for any help at all.

Broma is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
mikeorion22

mikeorion22 has a spectacular aura aboutmikeorion22 has a spectacular aura about

good effort, are you looking to just become a colorist or to color and draw your own work? if your working on coloring i would find professional samples to work on. there are a couple of groups on deviant art that supply hi res lines and flats. if your working on an anime/ manga feel it might be better to use a cel shaded look. james gurney is a great painter and teacher that has released very useful books on color and light. you have a great attitude and will improve the more you practice the right way
mikeorion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Broma

I'm just looking to be a colorist. Though I really respect and admire drawing it isn't my strong suite I focused more on CGI with maya and Zbrush. Thank you very much for the recombination. Going to go check amazon for the books now then off to DA to see if I can find the groups you mentioned.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
johnjohn

johnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nice

Very bright clean images.

+1 to the above advice.

Try experimenting with using colour to create a sense of depth and shadowing, as well as doing some light studies.
Try to avoid using black and white to create depth and shade, that can give an image a muddy, dull appearance.
Observe how different light affects the look and mimic that.
Even in direct light subtle shadows will be cast that gives hints a sense of depth and dimension.

Applying colour evenly can make an image look flat and two dimensional.
Good colouring is as important as good pencils and inks.
A bad image is a bad image and can't always be salvaged.
But poor use of colour can take a good image down, just as good use of colour can elevate a mediocre image.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Broma

Thank you for the advice. Are there any books in addition to james gurney that I should take a look at?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
johnjohn

johnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nicejohnjohn is just really nice

Check the colourist section of this forum for good suggestions on that, about the only thing I can suggest is something on colour theory and stuff that lays out the colour wheel (bad description but I'm having a brain fart).

Also maybe take some time to learn about and practice pencils, inks and lettering.
Even though it's not the direction you want to go in, having a better understanding of those things will give you a better idea of when and when not to add to an image.
A common mistake is to use too much colour, blurring the lines and loosing the shape and dimension.

Too much colour can blur lines and create an image that is too busy, possibly killing any impact it had.
Sometimes less is more and by having the lines or the inks standing out can add impact and depth to an image.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Miguel Marques

Miguel Marques will become famous soon enough

Buy a pen tablet
Study light and shadow
Read and study;
DC Comics Guide to
Coloring & Lettering
Miguel Marques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Broma

I own a surface pro and it does pressure sensitivity in sketchbook pro, but not photoshop at the moment. Do I need to utilize it more and show more blending? Will the DC book help with the anime style or is it more for the theory side? Either way its added to my amazon cart now thank you for the suggestion.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
worjord
aka Jordan Worley

worjord is on a distinguished road

I know this doesn't always help on comics but try coloring on a 50% grey (or sienna) background. Keep your line work on a separate layer or channel. I use micro palettes. On a separate layer I make little color circles that I shade as spheres that have all my colors from highlights to shadows. Then use the eye dropper to quickly change colors. Apply clor on a new layer. Erase excess color. Then drop the layer down.
worjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
deathdealer

deathdealer is on a distinguished road

well if you are going strictly anime, then they do mostly bright flat colors with one darker tone for shadows and white for the highlights, not much gradients, you also seem to have a small case of pillow shading

here's a nice tutorial on shading and how to avoid the pillowing
http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html

you will also want to look for cel shading tutorials, it's really not that complicated, you will usually only have 2 gradients of each color to work with, just takes practice
here's a simple tutorial
http://sheridan-j.deviantart.com/art...sual-298863188

Tags
anime, coloring, critique