Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 08-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

resent sketches

here are a sample of my sketches from the last year or so.

I did not realise who this was but looking back the next sketch is superman so this must be Lex. It still did not occur to me till after I was messing around with TimR's Superman Lex Luthor image.

artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
artsnake

here are some more

not all of them by a long shot.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:15 AM   #3
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Cool sketches! Amazing how many you've done. I guess they are all your creations!
pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
artsnake

there is the lady death study ,second from the top, and there is some hulk in there other than that it is all mine.
the drawing program I use most,Mypaint, has a one button save to a scrap file. I probably do at least one every day or so. these are just a sample of the kind of stuff in my sketches file.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #5
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnake View Post
there is the lady death study ,second from the top, and there is some hulk in there other than that it is all mine.
the drawing program I use most,Mypaint, has a one button save to a scrap file. I probably do at least one every day or so. these are just a sample of the kind of stuff in my sketches file.
That's great to keep tabs of your sketches and doing it digitally has its rewards, you saved them all through the years. With the traditional sketches, you'll end with boxes like I did. Then you dig through them to find what you're looking for. I decided to go digitally since I started about four years ago, but I still missed the feel of pencil on paper or pen nibs on Strathmore board. Even the commissions I get to do, I do it in digital pencils or inks. It's also the reason why I wanted to emulate my traditional work into digital, so that it looks seamless on the transition.

By the way, I was browsing around Web Toon entries, they are pretty good and well done. Also, I was looking at your entries, they are greatly done. Superb painting style work. Did you do everything including lettering? Anyway, keep up the great work, buddy.

I'm also interested to enter some of my original work there at some point, I'm just slowly working on the productions. Say, could you give me some pointers?
pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:21 PM   #6
artsnake

Hey Dario,
Yes I did everything including the lettering. The font is called "comic note smooth" and though it was not the most elegant font it seemed to be the only one that fit. I learned so much doing that strip and learned a lot of what not to do. I think I did each of these instalments several times before I got it right. I remember throwing away three quarters of the panels I drew. When I look back on it around ten years ago now, I knew almost nothing when I started. At least compared to what I have learned in the last few years. In no small part thanks to this forum.
Webtoons is interesting. I started to do the web comic thing with this story years ago just straight into that format. I decided to redo it as a book to have a product I could sell which I am working on selling to a publisher or getting an agent now. I may have to self publish some how.
Jason Brubaker tuned me onto the idea that it is better to do it as a book and then turn it into a Webtoon strip. It is harder to do it the other way around. You could look at his youtube channel the might be something about doing that. The lettering for instance is much bigger in relation to the panel than on a page.
One of the things I liked about working directly in that format is the ability to rearrange panels and replace them as I liked without messing up the whole thing. I would often shuffle the panels a little to get a better sequence.
So now Good Knight Dragon is a 124 page middle grade or all ages book in the mock up stage with planes for sequels. I have coloured the first several pages and inked a bunch more and have a cover. The painterly style is gone for ease of colouring.
I would like to show it to you if you would have a look. If you have any feed back would be great. I could message you with the link to the pdfs. I have been working on it so it is pencilled tighter and has one more page than the samples I have assembled right now but it is still at a very good stage for editorial adjustments.
As for traditional look to sketches Mypaint is the best I have found and it is free.