Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 12-31-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

Exclamation Beginner Lettering Activity

You know what I haven't posted in a while!? A lettering activity.

Let's do a fun beginner lettering activity.

Dialogue is simple... JJJ and Your Friendly Mr. Peter Parker are having a conversation.

Script by me -- art by Joe Simmons.

PAGE ONE (of four)

JJJ (YELLING): PARKER!

PETEY: Yeah?!

JJJ: What took you so long?

Petey: Um, traffic?

JJJ: Very funny.

JJJ: (Contd) You know what I hate more than a comedian?

PETEY: Breath mints?

Page to follow.

Activity should be completed by the end of the weekend Sunday the 4th

Last edited by paul brian deberry; 12-31-2014 at 04:07 PM.
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

The Page.....

Here is the page... art by Joe Simmons.

Spidey Page to letter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spider_man_pencils_by_joescartoons-d8bvb7s.jpg (135.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-31-2014, 02:21 AM   #3
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

and my pass at lettering the page.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:36 AM   #4
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Placement is good, and reading order is generally clear, with a nice choice of font (Silver Age BB?) meaning that anything else is basically niggling.

So, to niggle:

Panel 2: I get why "Parker!" is bigger than the normal text, but I'd have contemplated a burst or double outline balloon to emphasise the point. Also, is that bold, or just italic?

Panel 3: Is it my eyes, or is that text a slightly larger point size than panels 4 and 5? If so, why? (Also: most style guides prefer ?! to !?)

Panel 4: The distance between balloon 1 and 2 is slightly problematic, leaving the reader's eye stranded and unsure whether to drop down to balloon 3 from balloon 1. I'd move them both together so that they're about the same height in the panel as they are now, but closer to the centre line. Additionally, I'm not sure why balloons 3 and 4 are separate balloons with their own tails. I'd connect them and have a single tail from balloon 3.

Cheers

Jim
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

One final thought: there's nothing wrong with the balloon placement in panel 5, but there's room to butt it to the border bottom right of the panel, which would rather gracefully lead the reader out of the page.

Cheers

Jim
Old 12-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
Tomas M91

Tomas M91 is on a distinguished road

It's been a while since I did any lettering but I saw this and decided to give it a shot. Took about 20 min so that's something to be proud of

Taking Jim's advice on the previous posts and adding my flare to it

Cheers
Tomas M91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
JimCampbell
Letterer

Panel 2: The breakout balloon looks odd with all that empty space —*the text should be in the middle of the balloon's vertical space and break out either left or right.

Panels 3-5: There are acres of dead space in these panels, so there's no reason for the balloons or their tails to be actually touching any part of the characters. It looks kind of like the balloons are pinned to the characters' heads by the tails. Move 'em out into the dead space and butt to the panel borders if you need the room.

Cheers!

Jim
Old 12-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
Tomas M91

Woah that was quick!! Awesome, lets try this again
Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
superggraphics

superggraphics will become famous soon enoughsuperggraphics will become famous soon enough

G
superggraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

wow! very cool job guys!!
Old 12-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCampbell View Post
One final thought: there's nothing wrong with the balloon placement in panel 5, but there's room to butt it to the border bottom right of the panel, which would rather gracefully lead the reader out of the page.

Cheers

Jim
Thanks a ton, Jim!!
Old 12-31-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

My comments in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCampbell View Post
Placement is good, and reading order is generally clear, with a nice choice of font (Silver Age BB?) meaning that anything else is basically niggling.

Silver age font is so good. Nate does an amazing job with his fonts.

So, to niggle:

Panel 2: I get why "Parker!" is bigger than the normal text, but I'd have contemplated a burst or double outline balloon to emphasise the point. Also, is that bold, or just italic?

It's just italic. You're right I should have gone with the burst or double outline instead. I was just being lazy. I'm a fan of the double outline. I think when we get this inked and colored I will go with the double outline.

Panel 3: Is it my eyes, or is that text a slightly larger point size than panels 4 and 5? If so, why? (Also: most style guides prefer ?! to !?)

I messed up and forgot to change the text size. That will be corrected. I think I knew about the ?! and just forgot.

Panel 4: The distance between balloon 1 and 2 is slightly problematic, leaving the reader's eye stranded and unsure whether to drop down to balloon 3 from balloon 1. I'd move them both together so that they're about the same height in the panel as they are now, but closer to the centre line. Additionally, I'm not sure why balloons 3 and 4 are separate balloons with their own tails. I'd connect them and have a single tail from balloon 3.

I was proud of that long tail with that fourth balloon on panel four. Did that on my first try. Only reason I didn't connect them.

With panel five I will take your advice and move it to the bottom corner.

Cheers

Jim
Old 12-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
Tomas M91

Thanks for doing a thread like this Paul. It lets people compare their lettering styles when doing the same page Everyone posts good stuff

Looking forward to the Comicraft font sale, just don't want to overspend
Old 12-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger is on a distinguished road

Too much? Too loud?
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:12 PM   #15
Tomas M91

Maybe too much