http://miguelmendoncacomics.blogspot...nt-search.html

Critique is very welcome!
Thank you
mikemaluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
ariel

ariel has a spectacular aura aboutariel has a spectacular aura about

nice very clear. Thats what I fucked up on clarity. Best whale Iv'e seen for sure.
Problems -- doesn't look like gotham way too clean and modern looking. The bathtub looks too short somethings wrong with the perspective...
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
mikemaluk

mikemaluk is on a distinguished road

Hey Ariel,
Checked out your art in you blog, and let me say I really liked your style. Your Harley Quinn submission I couldn't see though, it appears so small, just like a thumbnail, and I just can't get a clear look at it in the forum post, don't know why, maybe it's a prob on my browser, I don't know...
About, you feedback, thanks a lot. You make pretty good points, I agree with you on both. Even though looking at it in the end I realized the bathtub was a bit small (or the ground line should be lower) I haven't really thought about the gotham thing, thank you so much for your awesome feedback!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
ariel

ariel has a spectacular aura aboutariel has a spectacular aura about

Yeah the city you drew could be metropolis nothing defines it as gotham.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...5_212752_n.jpg

Try that link for my HQ page
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
scherzo
I know things

scherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nice

Hard work on display here with an impressive level of detail. Looks like Harley bought herself a ticket to Chicago for her last days. The city clearly isn't Gotham, but it sure is well rendered.

I don't think panel borders should be treated as actual physical objects, unless there's a specific gag called for in the script. So the escaping gator is a little weird(though well drawn like everything else) My big problem is Harley herself is so small in all but one of your shots. Even though each panel represents a "scene" it's important to remember who the STAR is, and present her as such. Hitting her with the pop of color actually makes her tiny size more apparent. Great work though besides that.
scherzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

I like it.
I like it very much.

I would just flip horizontal the whale leaving Harley as it is.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

I agree with all the comments above, I would just add that the last panel really made me chuckle, just for how much obvious attention is given to carefully obscuring her nipples. It just jumps right out at me, almost like a gag from a "Naked Gun" movie or something. Which is great if you intended that, but if not, a less blatant way to maintain her modesty would work better.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
SatyQ

SatyQ will become famous soon enough

This is a really weird nitpick, but it bothers me that the tub is installed in the middle of the room like that, with open floor on either side and the narrow part of the tub being the part against the wall. Then again, this is Harley we're talking about, so maybe the Joker installed tubs in random places just to screw with me

You pretty much hit all the points I couldn't quite figure out - you've got Harley with a big honking cell phone antenna without coming off like the Hulk, she's in scale with the whale, and you pulled off the breaking of the fourth wall in the final panel with that great expression. Good job.
SatyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
mikemaluk

ariel ----> Again, thanks, I agree, Didn't quite thought that out. Like I said befor I really like your style. I'd d maybe change the perspective on the fist one, cause it's a bit confusing on first sight. Thanks for the link!

Sherzo ---> Hey, Thanks. Since it's a Harley Quinn Story I figured I could push the boundaries a bit, and go a little crazy haha, and she does break the fourth wall on the last panel, so I thought, why not. Did'nt thought much about the resemblance with gotham there, my bad. Thanks for your input friend.

Scribbly ---> Hi, thanks a lot

TimR ---> Yes, I di intended, since they do tend to do that sometimes, like, yes, she is nude, but we just can't show it haha, thanks for you feedback!

SatyQ ---> I did thought about that, and in some of the first layouts I did, the bathtub had a well besides it, but I ended up doing it like this since I thought it would give a bit more of impact and balance to the panel. I figured, this is Harley Quinn, she could have some old bathtub in a middle of a bathroom, not like she doesn´t do some crazy stuff hahaha Thank you for your feedback really appreciated!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Living Silver

Living Silver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo View Post
I don't think panel borders should be treated as actual physical objects, unless there's a specific gag called for in the script. So the escaping gator is a little weird(though well drawn like everything else) My big problem is Harley herself is so small in all but one of your shots. Even though each panel represents a "scene" it's important to remember who the STAR is, and present her as such. Hitting her with the pop of color actually makes her tiny size more apparent. Great work though besides that.
I respectfully disagree with both of these points. The alligator popping off the panel can be stylistically or aesthetically done (like Kirby used to). My concern with it is where it leads our eyes: it directs them to the left of the following panel, of which Harley is placed in the middle. And then the whale is traveling to the left again. It's all a bit jumbled up.

Even though Harley is small, the script placed a heavy emphasis on the setting. The color specifically directs our eyes to Harley and keeps here in focus as the star, despite the large amount of real estate used by the backgrounds.

@Miguel Holy poop balls!! I love those clouds! How did you do them? I also love Harley's expression in the final panel: it never occurred to me to break the 4th wall with her. But it makes complete sense, knowing the setting of the story. Of course, DC didn't tell us this in the initial instructions (it was only when they apologized that the story's setting came out).
Living Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
mikemaluk

Hey Living Silver, Thank you so much for your feedback, I get what you mean by tha way the alligator is misleading your eyes in a wrong direction, good point there. Even though I still digged the "crazy" feeling it adds to the scene.

About the clouds, I used mainly watercolor, and finished with some white chalk pastel, for the highlights, first time i used this technique and I guess I'll use it more often haha

Yeah, she breaking the 4th wall was the first thing that crossed my mind, maybe because I started doing the layouts after that DC apologize

Again, Thank you so much for your awesome input

Tags
harley quinn