Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Writer Showcase

Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
PIMPZILLA
Writer

PIMPZILLA will become famous soon enoughPIMPZILLA will become famous soon enough

"How-to-write" books?

Which ones are the most helpful, or worth the money?

Don't say, "Writing For Comics With Peter David" because I already own that one.

-Shea Hennum
PIMPZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 AM   #2
The Anti-crest
Robert Tidwell - JUGGALO

The Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really nice

Writing for Comics with Alan Moore

Also Scott Mcclouds books are really really really awesome.

What it is by lynda barry is something every writer should read, it also comes with worksheets to do to help stimulate your creativity.

Panel One is great for comics cuz it really shows you different types of scripts.

Also Graphic Novels, which is a book about a lot of different really good comics, is a great resource to study which will tell you what is good about several different types of comics and analyzes a lot of really awesome stories, but does not tell you how to write.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 AM   #3
PIMPZILLA
Writer

PIMPZILLA will become famous soon enoughPIMPZILLA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anti-crest
but does not tell you how to write.
that's fine. I'm not really looking for a book that tells me how to write. I'm more looking for a book that teaches good pacing and story structure for comics.
PIMPZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Mark Bertolini
Scum of the Earth.

Mark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to behold

Check out:

Writers on Comic Scriptwriting 1 by Mark Salisbury
Writers on Comic Scriptwriting 2 by Andrew Kardon and Tom Root

both have excellent interviews and samples by some of the biggest writers in the biz.

Also check out Warren Ellis's "From the Desk Of" and "Bad Signal", there's lots of tips and info in those.

You should also look at Brian Michael Bendis's "Powers Scriptbook", which contains all of his Powers scripts from issue 1 to 6.

-Tom Waits
Mark Bertolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Fred Duran
Master Lurker

Fred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to behold

"Comics and Sequential Art" by Will Eisner is good no matter if you're writing or drawing, because it gives you the theory on visual flow if you're the former and teaches you how to do the visual flow if you're the latter.
Email | Twitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kep!
Carry around a 12-pack of condoms and Gatorade at all times.
Fred Duran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Lee Nordling

Lee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really nice

"On Directing Film" by David Mamet, which teaches a philosophy of visual storytelling that is crucial for comics storytelling.

When I first met Brian Bendis on a phone chat, we were comparing "influences" notes, and I was particularly interested in his Torso graphic novel, which READ like a sequel to The Untouchables film, which was written by Mamet. Brian had even got Ness's voice down...perfectly.

Anyway, that discussion bridged to him and me near-simulataneously mentioning "On Directing Film" as a seminal work for visual storytelling.

Just because it was written for comics writers doesn't mean it won't be the MOST IMPORTANT BOOK ON VISUAL STORYTELLING YOU'VE EVER READ.

--Lee
Lee Nordling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
Lee Nordling

Lee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMPZILLA
that's fine. I'm not really looking for a book that tells me how to write. I'm more looking for a book that teaches good pacing and story structure for comics.
Oh, and for a wide range of aspects of comics craft, Dennis (Denny) O'Neil's primer, "The DC Guide To Writing Comics," will help some, especially regarding rudimentary aspects of structure.

--Lee
Old 06-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Nick Kerklaan
Troll

Nick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Nordling
"On Directing Film" by David Mamet, which teaches a philosophy of visual storytelling that is crucial for comics storytelling.

When I first met Brian Bendis on a phone chat, we were comparing "influences" notes, and I was particularly interested in his Torso graphic novel, which READ like a sequel to The Untouchables film, which was written by Mamet. Brian had even got Ness's voice down...perfectly.

Anyway, that discussion bridged to him and me near-simulataneously mentioning "On Directing Film" as a seminal work for visual storytelling.

Just because it was written for comics writers doesn't mean it won't be the MOST IMPORTANT BOOK ON VISUAL STORYTELLING YOU'VE EVER READ.

--Lee
You've mentioned that book on here a few times. I think I may have to see if I can find it at the library.
Nick Kerklaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Lee Nordling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Kerklaan
You've mentioned that book on here a few times. I think I may have to see if I can find it at the library.
You won't likely find it there, but it's a slim paperback that ought to be pretty cheap on on abebooks.com, which is the best used book site in the world; it's the one used booksellers use.

--Lee
Old 06-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Nick Kerklaan
Troll

Nick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to allNick Kerklaan is a name known to all

Quote:
You won't likely find it there, but it's a slim paperback that ought to be pretty cheap on on abebooks.com, which is the best used book site in the world; it's the one used booksellers use.

--Lee
Yeah, I just checked the public library's online catalogue, and no such luck. Usually I can find what I'm looking for there. Oh well. I'll check out that site. Thanks, Lee!
Nick Kerklaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
martin993
Plan 10 From Outer Space

martin993 will become famous soon enough

Stephen King's On Writing. It's not comics but it's helpful nonetheless.
martin993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
Lee Nordling

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin993
Stephen King's On Writing. It's not comics but it's helpful nonetheless.
Just don't follow his example of writing without plotting, unless you possess his superpower of being able to effectively weave a story as you go.

--Lee
Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Mamet? Worth checking out I guess.

I'll add what I always add and everyone ignores.

Aristotle's Poetics.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
popyte
Scruffy Mugg

popyte is on a distinguished road

Someone recommended me STORY by Robert Mckee. I think that's his name.

-Pirates of the Carribean:
Curse of the black Pearl
popyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #15
Lee Nordling

Quote:
Originally Posted by popyte
Someone recommended me STORY by Robert Mckee. I think that's his name.
Lots of important stuff in that book.

Hard to absorb and apply immediately, but there are some terrific writing, character, and story guidelines.

I admire people who can SUCCESSFULLY make this all up as they go, and I've known some.

I also admire people who do the hard work of learning the craft of writing and storytelling, and more professional writers fit into this category than the previous one.

I have also recommended (elsewhere) John Truby's course (at truby.com). THIS is the best series of lectures you will ever get on storytelling, and it's a process that you can actually apply and use.

--Lee