Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
t_orzechowski
Old School student

t_orzechowski will become famous soon enought_orzechowski will become famous soon enough

Stan Starkman, RIP

I've just received word that our colleague Stan Starkman died on January 22. He and I had never met, but I grew up reading comics he lettered. Comics.org has only 248 attributions, but he worked on the length and breadth of the DC line. The earliest work they credited to him was in 1950; the latest, in '67. With all respect to them, if they've judged only 248 books to be his in the course of 17 years, there could well have been hundreds of others.

A partial list of series featuring his work included Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis, Batman (about 15 years' worth), Blackhawk, Doom Patrol (first run), Metamorpho, Teen Titans (first run), and all the western, sci-fi & suspense anthologies. His work had an angularity that worked particularly well on the superheroes, I thought.

Obsessive fanboy me studied the comics from those years with a magnifying glass. I hope Stan had some fun working on 'em!
t_orzechowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

I also remember Stan's work, he will be missed. RIP Stan.
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Clem Robins

Clem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura about

judging from the list of comics you cite, Stan Starkman must be the same guy as Stan Quill. i never met him either. i think he was one of the casualties of DC's 1968 shakeup of their lettering pool, along with Ira Schnapp's removal as cover artist.

i wonder what he did with the last forty-four years of his life?
Clem Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Robins
judging from the list of comics you cite, Stan Starkman must be the same guy as Stan Quill. i never met him either. i think he was one of the casualties of DC's 1968 shakeup of their lettering pool, along with Ira Schnapp's removal as cover artist.

i wonder what he did with the last forty-four years of his life?
I don’t know. I just Googled it.
But could this be an incredible coincidence?
A man named Stan Starkman
having almost the same age, 80's years old or is the same person?

The letterist pass the last January 22, 2011
This article was made exactly the last year, January 23, 2010.
By NICK COLEMAN, Star Tribune
Last update: January 23, 2010 - 11:20 PM

“Stan Starkman stayed at his post until the very end.
After nearly seven decades as a neighborhood pharmacist
who knew the names of all his customers --
and knew their ailments and their doctors
-- it wasn't easy to get rid of him.”
Full article here,
http://www.startribune.com/opinion/c...Unciaec8O7EyUr

Also,
http://forums.comicbookresources.com...php?p=12550936
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
t_orzechowski
Old School student

t_orzechowski will become famous soon enought_orzechowski will become famous soon enough

Scribbly, this IS an amazing coincidence.

Clem, you ought to pass the query along via Comicbookresources.
t_orzechowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
Clem Robins

Clem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura about

it can't be a query. the two Stans have gotta be the same letterer.

if you've got the Showcase "Doom Patrol" book DC did a coupla months ago, you can see Starkman/Quill in action; he lettered practically every story.

you can also see Gaspar in action; he lettered two of the stories. the contrast is quite instructive. Stan's stuff worked fine, but Gaspar turned those two issues into a party. i remember even thinking so at the time, at the tender age of eleven.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
sabreboy914

sabreboy914 is on a distinguished road

Anniversary of Stan Starkman's death

To all,

I saw this thread and wanted to post. I'm Stan's son, Mark. This Sunday was the one year anniversary of his death. He died just short of his 84th birthday and his 60th wedding anniversary.

He was never a pharmacist. Interesting coincidence though. He was known as Stan Quill but that was at the beginning of his career.

Growing up I can clearly remember all the books he lettered. After his lettering career ended, he worked in advertising typography for a time but his real passion was photography. His photos won numerous awards. He even started a company, PicTours where he took a group of amateur photographers on a photo trip and gave a photo workshop (in a specially equiped van) on the way to the site.

He was a Navy veteran (of WWII) and was buried in the South Florida National Cemetery with full military honors a year ago today.

RIP dad.
sabreboy914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Clem Robins

wow. thanks for posting here, Mark.

your dad's lettering had a kind of wit to it that i always admired. i could see it in his sound effects and balloon shapes. and on his sound effects, he did very eccentric things with the letter N.

what career did you choose for yourself?

thank you again.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
sabreboy914

sabreboy914 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Robins View Post
what career did you choose for yourself?
Unfortunately, I have none of my father's artistic abilities. After working as a paramedic and then a hospital administrator for 20 years, I settled down as an attorney about 17 years ago.
sabreboy914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
cyxodus
NinjaLettering.com

cyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nice

It would be great if you shared with us some comic stories about your dad.

NINJALETTERING.com | DeviantArt Portfolio | Lettering Library
cyxodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
Clem Robins

yeah, really. he worked for all the monster editors at DC. have you got any great stories?

wait. you're an attorney. if you reply, does that mean we all have to cough up $200 per hour to hear your stories?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
Todd Klein

Todd Klein will become famous soon enoughTodd Klein will become famous soon enough

Interesting this thread came to life now. Tomorrow I'm going to post an entry on my blog that includes something signed by Stan Starkman. I'll put a link here then. I never met Stan either, and in fact didn't know his name, really. When he was lettering at DC Comics, credits were rare, especially for letterers. The Grand Comics Database shows entries for him from about 1955 to 1972, though the later ones might be reprints.
Todd Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
Todd Klein

Todd Klein will become famous soon enoughTodd Klein will become famous soon enough

Just checked a few of the later entries on the GCD and they are, indeed, reprints. Looks like the latest non-reprint credit is for books published in early 1967.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
Clem Robins

possibly you're referring to an issue of Plastic Man, todd? that's where i first saw his name on a credit. but he was called Stan Quill.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Todd Klein

Here's that blog post with a bit about Starkman in it, and his signature.

http://kleinletters.com/Blog/?p=18327