Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
CHWolf
BANNED

CHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to all

Fundstarter Project?

Yeah, so I was bitching away in Naenae's thread when I mentioned (twice) the free Kickstarter clone, Fundstarter.

I was just about to quit bitching and do something productive when I thought - "HEY. WOLFY. Hey, you know what? You should see if anyone wants to discuss a group Fundstarter project."

So yeah, here it is.

Let's discuss what it would take to fund a start-up comic book publisher that would represent what the majority of folks want out of "big two" comics.

In other words, an imprint under which a small cluster of us could create and publish super-hero-universe tales that fit the standards we want to enforce on others.

To cover most of what nay-sayers would toss out there (I should know) I think it would be a reasonable endeavor as we'd ideally be seeking to simply create quality work.

Things like "outselling the big two", "being as popular as the big two", and "making a big profit" aren't exactly what we'd be going for, so let's not get all up in THAT debate.

I am NOT suggesting creating a full-fledged comic publisher with a home office, health benefits, a maid service, company cars, super-star creators on staff, etc.

Just a pool of cash with which to create comics under one "umbrella".

Failing that, what about simply high-quality comics that are "Straight to Digital"?

Funds would go to making sure all involved are paid for their services and the fees would be associated with publishing - digitally or otherwise.

This is a sort of "what's your opinion?" thread, so if you have to start noodling away on the details of why this would succeed or fail, please keep it in mind for a future stage... if there is one.

Go.
CHWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Renae De Liz
Art Wench

Renae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to behold

Go for it Wolfy! I love the initiative! I hope you find a way to make it all happen!

Creator-Owned Title PETER PAN
Project Manager of Womanthology

Other: Vertigo, Archie, IDW,
Renae De Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
CHWolf
BANNED

CHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to allCHWolf is a name known to all

Oh, I see. Come into my thread with all sorts of positive energy JUST TO GET MY GOAT.

Typical.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Renae De Liz
Art Wench

Renae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to behold

B-but.... your goat would look so nice amongst the other goats in my collection ...

Seriously you should do it, you want something to change so you're going for it! You should put your idea in Jamie's thread too! It's all about awesome ideas like this to help change things.

Creator-Owned Title PETER PAN
Project Manager of Womanthology

Other: Vertigo, Archie, IDW,
Renae De Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
RonaldMontgomery
Mass Transit Ethnographer

RonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really nice

What gap do you see these comics fitting into? What perceived need are you filling?

I'm interested in your vision.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
Secret Agent
Comic Impossible

Secret Agent is on a distinguished road

Sounds like an awesome idea!
Secret Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
CHWolf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldMontgomery View Post
What gap do you see these comics fitting into? What perceived need are you filling?

I'm interested in your vision.
*screws on marketing hat*

"Plenty of comic fans complain that most popular titles are difficult to get into without a working knowledge of past events and far-reaching story arcs... or worse yet... a crossover event!

In addition, it seems like your favorite shared-universe super-hero comics are constantly getting rebooted... and if you LIKE the reboot, too bad, because it's going back to the way it was eventually!

Ideally, this project would offer comic book fans young and old the opportunity to actually get in on the ground floor of a new comic book universe. You'll be there for the beginning and have the ability to follow the titles you enjoy without having to hit Wikipedia to understand all the storyline references.

It would also offer creators a chance to work on shared universe titles for pay, though realistically a donation-based project won't be shelling out 'big two' fees any time soon.

Furthermore, creators can engineer the storylines *they* would like to see. No decades-worth of continuity clutter, no over-arching cash-grab events, and way more fun."

-- I'm fully aware of the drawbacks and possible roadblocks, but that's the long and short of it.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
TheIronRachel
Judas Rockin' Priestess

TheIronRachel is on a distinguished road

Hmmmmm. I like the idea, but it needs more horror. Always more horror.
TheIronRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
CHWolf
BANNED

So maybe there's a "Horrorman".

XD
Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Barnaby
The man with no plan!

Barnaby has a spectacular aura aboutBarnaby has a spectacular aura about

Sounds very cool!

How many times do you have the chance to create a new Universe?
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
RonaldMontgomery
Mass Transit Ethnographer

RonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really nice

Wolfman, you get it rollin' and I'm in for $20.
Not a lot I know, but it's a start.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
amon
Registered Obtuser

amon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
How many times do you have the chance to create a new Universe?
Seriously? My initial thought was, "How many times has THIS been done already?"
amon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
Barnaby
The man with no plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amon View Post
Seriously? My initial thought was, "How many times has THIS been done already?"
By me? Never!

Just kidding...
Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Barnaby
The man with no plan!

Didn't Invincible started out like this? It's been very successful, I think...
Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Evan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to behold

I'm in. Out of curiosity, what ever happened to that Creative Commons universe you wanted to do, Wolfy?
Evan Henry is offline   Reply With Quote