Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Hosted Forums > ComixTribe > Comix Council

Old 11-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Tyler_James

Tyler_James is on a distinguished road

Nooo! That's My #$%#ing Idea! What Are Your Options When Someone "Steals" Your Pitch?

What do you do when you find another creative team is coming out with a book that has the exact same concept as the book you're working on?

"HAVE YOU SEEN THIS?"

That was the subject line on an email I received from Sam LeBas, ComixTribe editor and media relations manager extraordinaire. Subject lines like this are either really bad or really good...and its usually 80/20 bad to good.

What Sam was referring to in this case was this Bleeding Cool article about the announcement of a new IDW series The Illegitimates by SNL actor Taran Killam and Marc Andreyko. Normally, I wouldn't bat an eye at a headline such as this. Actors making comics is not news. But what caused Sam to send me the email as soon as she saw it was the fact that this series, about the adventures of a team made up of the illegitimate children of a James Bond-type world-saving, womanizing super spy, is the EXACT premise of a book that Joe Mulvey and I pulled Sam in to edit four months ago!

Not only was the general idea and high concept the same, but nearly EVERYTHING the creative team in that Bleeding Cool article said they would be doing in the book were things we were planning on doing. We had a different title - BONDS (which is the perfect title for this idea...but we later changed it to CHAINS to avoid being sued), but everything from the flashback structure, to the team dynamics was right in our pitch.

Un-freaking-believable.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE AT COMIXTRIBE.COM, and discuss in this tread.
Tyler_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
elizabethamber

elizabethamber is on a distinguished road

I think everyone that creates anything has had "that moment." It comes with rage, fear, and probably a whole epic ton of self doubt that your product would suck compared to so-and-so.

My mentors have been great about sharing the same advice as you. No one else is going to write the story inside your mind. There will always been another vampire romance, another supernatural western with steampunk elements, another superhero or another depressing slice of life indie. If yours never gets made into full comic art, at least write it and have it there in your vault. Maybe a better time will come up or maybe it's just something that you need to get out of your system.
elizabethamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Tyler_James

That's definitely a good, reasoned, productive approach and attitude!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
scrappy

scrappy is just really nicescrappy is just really nicescrappy is just really nicescrappy is just really nicescrappy is just really nice

I would like to take the Hollywood example further and say that its not an accident movies about the same thing are released the same year. They do that on purpose. I don't know why studio execs see another studio producing a movie and go "quick! let's make our own!" but they do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_films
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Tyler_James

Interesting!

I do know there are film companies whose entire business model is to make low-budget movies with similar themes, titles and visuals of big release movies, and then put them direct to Red Box or Netflix...basically hoping people will buy them by mistake.

Craziness.