Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 10-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
hobbes
Creator/Script Monkey

hobbes is on a distinguished road

Singles Vs TPB

Do you prefer to grab the singles as they come out, or do you prefer to wait for the trades? Why?

Now, if you are into the indy scene, singles is how they make their bread and butter, and utlimately sees if they will remain on the shelves. I know that is a very simplified reasoning, but knowing this, and if you are one that prefers trades, would you remain a trades kind of person, or would you consider singles?

I prefer singles. Like a great tv show, I like to follow it as it happens. Trades are for things that I've missed.
my comicspace page
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Scribe

Scribe is on a distinguished road

I think there is a time and place for both. I have really given up the hope that I will ever make any money off of anything that I buy so I just really collect series I like to read.

I'm not a big fan of DC so when it comes to their crossovers I'll pick up the trade paperback before I ever buy a single issue. I missed the first issues of Hunter Killer and bought that four issue thing they put out. Unless its a graphic novel I really don't buy many TPB or hardcovers.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
dano

dano has disabled reputation

I'm too lazy/busy to keep going to the comic shop and keep a schedule of when things come out so i get trades.
Also, I'll be damned before i start dropping $3 a pop to try something that I may not like. I usually wait til i hear some good reviews of X series and then pick up the trades.

I'm also not a devout collector. I just grab things here and there, as convenient.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
JudgeJeezor

JudgeJeezor is on a distinguished road

I like trades mostly because I'm too lazy to keep abreast of what's coming out right now in terms of singles, so I'm usually only aware of a good series to check out after it's already in trade form. I know I should try and support indie books by buying the singles, but there's only a couple of comic stores I know of where I can get indie singles in town, and none of them are particularly close.

Another reason I like trades is that they give me something to read for a few hours. I don't read many novels these days, so sitting down with a new graphic novel is often the highlight of my week. I could follow a series through singles, but it's kind of a stuttered way to read a narrative - twenty minutes or less every month. Like Liquid Realm, I enjoy the episodic nature of comic books, and it's one of the reasons I love the medium, but the time in between reading issues takes away a little from involving myself in the story. I prefer to read trades and appreciate individual issues within the context of the story arc as it's all laid out for me.

That said, I definitely love singles as back issues. There's nothing like coming across back issues of the Invisibles, or Warlock & The Infinity Watch. If I can buy enough consecutive back issues to give me something to read for an hour or so, I will. It's like having a trade, but you get the individual episodes as they were first presented. I think collecting back issues is definitely the best of both worlds.
JudgeJeezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #5
hobbes
Creator/Script Monkey

hobbes is on a distinguished road

Do you feel that the market is more like a trades kind of market than singles? I've been thinking about this and the how the comic book market still struggles. So imagine if you will, most of the book that you are reading now and those that you would like to read mainly became trades, how would feel about that?
my comicspace page
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
Calloway
I haz cookiez an kool-aid

Calloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud of

trades. Economically it's just smarter.
Calloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
dano

Personally, I'm fine with all trades. With the high level of artistic quality and print methods, it makes better use of the trade/GN format. Artists can spend a little longer making amazing looking art that fits the high tech new color and printing methods.

Its not as if theres a big kids market where children are going into the shops and spending their allowances anymore on individual issues. And the kids that ARE buying comics already get tpbs in the form of manga at bookstores in the mall.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:27 AM   #8
MrGranger
I'm really Richard Corben

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

I read both.

With all the cross-overs I buy single issues, and series that it doesn't appear that any trade is going to come out. Otherwise I'll wait for a trade if I know it's coming. Often I get both and give the singles away to kids or on my website. I know it's buying it twice, but I think that maybe it is an investment to get kids interested in comics again.

For business, I do both.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:46 AM   #9
Mark Bertolini
Scum of the Earth.

Mark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to behold

I prefer trades for a couple of reasons, the foremost being money. It's cheaper to pay 20-25 bucks for 4-8 issues than pay the 3-4 bucks (and that's Canadian) for the individual issues.
Also, I like to read stuff in arcs, and waiting month to month just doesn't do it for me.
Lastly, this may sound like a stupid reason, but trades look killer on a bookshelf. I often admire mine.

-Tom Waits
Mark Bertolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #10
The-Spirit

The-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Realm
Do you feel that the market is more like a trades kind of market than singles? I've been thinking about this and the how the comic book market still struggles. So imagine if you will, most of the book that you are reading now and those that you would like to read mainly became trades, how would feel about that?
I think the industry is headed for the trades market, individual issues just don't offer anything anymore, the trades have sketches, usually all the variant covers and sometimes stories of behind the scenes stuff MORE MORE MORE and most of the time are CHEAPER THAN THE ORIGINALS. It used to be the singles used to have good letters pages at least now they rarely have that.

Also it seems some writers don't write for single issues but have the trades in mind and use "decompression" stretching the stories out over many issues so waiting for the complete story is a pain in the ass.

I think eventually you'll have Graphic Novelists who'll put out a trade once in a while and it'll be like a favorite writer with a new book.
The-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:51 AM   #11
The-Spirit

The-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano
Its not as if theres a big kids market where children are going into the shops and spending their allowances anymore on individual issues. And the kids that ARE buying comics already get tpbs in the form of manga at bookstores in the mall.
There isn't a kids market.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #12
Anthony J. Lombard

Anthony J. Lombard is on a distinguished road

I perfer waiting for trades on stories i like
Anthony J. Lombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:35 AM   #13
JudgeJeezor

JudgeJeezor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lastly, this may sound like a stupid reason, but trades look killer on a bookshelf. I often admire mine.
I understand perfectly. For awhile my trades have been in a stack on my floor, but just a few days ago I moved them downstairs to the bookshelf. I can turn around behind me right now and see them, and every time I do I giggle.

Well, not giggle, per se. But it's a good feeling.
JudgeJeezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
dano

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Spirit
There isn't a kids market.
Theres a huge kids market; its manga.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:54 AM   #15
The-Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano
Theres a huge kids market; its manga.
No there's a huge manga market, believe or not, alot of kids don't like manga, so if you don't and your a kid there's nothing for you.