Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 12-24-2005, 02:12 AM   #1
scottr

scottr is on a distinguished road

Build a huge Drafting Table for less than $50

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but thought I would share a little 'how-to' on modifying your desk into an 8' long drafting table, for less than $50. Go here to see photos and a brief description.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 02:17 AM   #2
scottr

scottr is on a distinguished road

Forgot to mention that the super glue is something called 'gorilla glue', it claims to be the strongest glue on Earth. Wear gloves.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:52 AM   #3
ArtisticBlasts
a Nikki Benz fan :)

ArtisticBlasts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
Forgot to mention that the super glue is something called 'gorilla glue', it claims to be the strongest glue on Earth. Wear gloves.
Where can I get this GORILLA GLUE? I'm in Indonesia. Can I order it somewhere?

Portfolio
Blogspot
ArtisticBlasts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
Eric Rabbitsmasher
Call me Rabbit Fighter

Eric Rabbitsmasher is just really niceEric Rabbitsmasher is just really niceEric Rabbitsmasher is just really niceEric Rabbitsmasher is just really niceEric Rabbitsmasher is just really niceEric Rabbitsmasher is just really nice

Gorilla glue ought to be available online from any number of sources - just google it.

Masonite has been the standard el cheapo drawing surface for as long as I can remember - best if you get it cut where you buy it, any lumber store pretty much, the stuff is hard as rock and very smooth. You need to waterproof it though, prlonged contact with wetness or dampness will cause it to blister.

It comes in various thicknesses, 3/8 or even 1/4 you could probobly just screw to a couple of 2x4's, while the 1/8 or 3/16 you could either screw to a door, piece of plywood or waferboard, or use any decent construction adhesive, spread with a 1/16 toothed trowel - most places carry cheap disposable ones.

I picked up a $200 drawing table at a a garage sale for $25, and it's pretty big, like 2 1/2 x 3 feet which is actually pretty good sized, but still too small to really do serious perspective stakeouts - I'm experimenting with movable extension arms, more actual table would just be wasted for me, I hardly ever draw at the one I have, mostly just use it when I ink - seldom at this point.

With a table this size, what I'd have done is glued on a shorter piece of surfacing material, say a foot or so shorter, centered it, then put rubber or cork or something softer at either end - something you could stick a pushpin into for VP's, then get one long-ass ruler.

I did pick up a couple of four foot flourescent fixtures at another garage sale for $5 - I'm gonna make a 4 x 3 lightbox.

Whatzabuzz, the Website
Eric Rabbitsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

You can get Gorilla Glue at Walmart, or Lowes, or any hardware store at all.

It definitly is the strongest glue ever. A door came off it's hinge here, and the holes were stripped-- so i tried the gorilla glue on it, and DAMN, it holds the whole door on!!!! Crazy. Just be carful not to glue yourself into your room! heh.

I also had a showerhead that was installed wrong by the guy we had do the shower, and it was sticking out an inch from the tile, and loose... I was pissed for a year, but used that Gorilla Glue to securely fasten it in.

I love that stuff-- and man, I bought a big bottle, and I only used a TINY amount of it so far.
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

Dude A plain unfinished soft core door would have been the best way to go. They make all kinds of doors of differing sizes. Just go to Lowes and look in the door section. Get an internal closet door. Should run you about 25 bucks tops. From the bottom of your old table just screw the old table to the door and voila a long table of about 7 feet. This way you can push pins into it for far perspectives.
If not you could buy three doors and create a complete desk for yourself.
here's what it would look like. One door for the top one door cut in half for the sides and one door in back between the sides to brace it. You can cut the sides at any angle you want if you want the top to be floating.
Justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice41
Dude A plain unfinished soft core door would have been the best way to go. They make all kinds of doors of differing sizes. Just go to Lowes and look in the door section. Get an internal closet door. Should run you about 25 bucks tops. From the bottom of your old table just screw the old table to the door and voila a long table of about 7 feet. This way you can push pins into it for far perspectives.
If not you could buy three doors and create a complete desk for yourself.
here's what it would look like. One door for the top one door cut in half for the sides and one door in back between the sides to brace it. You can cut the sides at any angle you want if you want the top to be floating.
why do i have to quote my own posts?
Justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
Phatman
Midi-chlorians are a lie!

Phatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud of

That's a great idea J41. I'm going to build one of those.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

Anyone in Chicago can have my monstrous drafting board for a song if they come and pick it up...I'm not moving the damn thing, it's TOO big for me!
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
shushubag

shushubag will become famous soon enough

I guess you can buy a smaller sized door. That's a great idea but it's too big big for my tiny house.
shushubag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Multisync143

Multisync143 is a jewel in the roughMultisync143 is a jewel in the roughMultisync143 is a jewel in the rough

"With no doorknob hole" if you leave it in you can have a cup holder.
Multisync143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
Ravencore
Gimme another shot of JD

Ravencore is on a distinguished road

LOL cup holder thats actually a brilliant ass idea.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:03 AM   #13
wisper
Isreal/Iran October 2008

wisper is a splendid one to beholdwisper is a splendid one to beholdwisper is a splendid one to beholdwisper is a splendid one to beholdwisper is a splendid one to beholdwisper is a splendid one to beholdwisper is a splendid one to beholdwisper is a splendid one to beholdwisper is a splendid one to beholdwisper is a splendid one to beholdwisper is a splendid one to behold

I have a home depot one 8ft. long screwed to the wall with fancy victorian wood fence post shortened to hold up the one side. I use it as a office table. but I draw on it all the time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-FOOT-MESA-VERD...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-13-2007, 01:48 AM   #14
jakebilbao
jakebilbao@yahoo.com

jakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to behold

i had this made for less than $20 honestly!

well it's not yet finished, i would like to attach a formica material on top so it would be smoother. the material goes for $10 so that makes it $30
jakebilbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:52 AM   #15
hellblazer72
the love ninja

hellblazer72 will become famous soon enoughhellblazer72 will become famous soon enough

hey jake how did you make the t-square ?...i like the fact that it goes all the way across the board..
hellblazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote