Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 01-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
b0ogie

What gets you motivated?

topic!

I am a slack.. and I know this.
I have all this drawing energy at work, wanting to do nothing more that grab my sticks and crank out some pages...
BUT - As soon as I step into my humble home, I find most everything else distracts me, and time doesn't simply fly, it travels at warp factor 9.
So, My answer to this slackyness is: I must blow up my computer, x-box, Ps2, PSP, TV, Dog, brother, and girlfriend. Or possibly take some motivating drugs (LEGAL).

So, other than my wallow in self slackassness... What gets you folks motivated to draw at the home? or in general?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
theflash
Cary Kelley

theflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ogie
topic!

I am a slack.. and I know this.
I have all this drawing energy at work, wanting to do nothing more that grab my sticks and crank out some pages...
BUT - As soon as I step into my humble home, I find most everything else distracts me, and time doesn't simply fly, it travels at warp factor 9.
So, My answer to this slackyness is: I must blow up my computer, x-box, Ps2, PSP, TV, Dog, brother, and girlfriend. Or possibly take some motivating drugs (LEGAL).

So, other than my wallow in self slackassness... What gets you folks motivated to draw at the home? or in general?
well i write not draw, but i know what you mean. for me to be able to work, i have to be in my own space. i have an office that i lock, and pretty much shut the whole world out while i am writing. i turn the mp3 player on and shut out everything else and just go to work. once you get in the habit of doing this, it becomes natural. downside is i have trouble writing anywhere else, but there are tradeoffs in everything.

The Dynagirl Webcomic is FREE!
Red Handed Studios! l Blog
theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

deadlines motivate me. Seriously. That and the honest desire to get some stuff done before I die: Time's arrow points only one way.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
P.R.E.Z.
Voice In The Wilderness

P.R.E.Z. is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

Good question.

Couple different motivations for me:

1. God. Seriously wanting to utilize my gifts to make a difference.

2. Because most of the stuff on T.V. is garbage and I know I can write stories better than that.

3. Wanting my wife to never have to work. She's done so much and I just want her to chill. If I can do that from making enough money with my writing, then I need to get to it.

4. Talk radio. When I hear about what's going on in this country and around the world, it moves me to write.

My goal is simple: three pages a day. May not seem like much but it adds up. I like what Oscar Collier says:

Quote:
From what I've been old by many writers, three pages a day is a sensible quota. It is an amount that should keep you from panicking because it's not asking too much. You can sit down and write three double spaced pages. I know people who write letters longer than that.
Three pages. If I did that (and I do now), depending on the project I'm working on, I can have full rough drafts of the following:

1. An 84 page graphic novel in a month.

2. A three issue mini series in a month.

3. A 300 page novel in about 3 months.

4. Couple short stories.

I'm not saying this is polished material or that they can all be done at once. Just that if you set your mind to one of these, this is what you could turn out. Sticking to one project and then seeing it through to the end is a wonderful thing.

For an artist, I'm not sure what that would be but I'm sure the same principle can be applied.
P.R.E.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:03 AM   #5
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Morganza has disabled reputation

What gets you motivated?

1. Lucious hooters!
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #6
Rob Norton
apprentice of the pencil

Rob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to beholdRob Norton is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganza
What gets you motivated?

1. Lucious hooters!

dear god...this is why i like you so much man.
Rob Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
Dave Reynolds
Art dork

Dave Reynolds is on a distinguished road

What motivates me...

I'm tempted to say "Booze" but eh, I'm feeling introspective right now.

I'd say the motivation comes from an inner desire. I mean I coudl say I have that drive but I don't really. I'm also a lazy slackass. I mean, instead of sitting at my art table finishing panel four of page 9, I'm online writing this while looking for Japanese hentai to "accidentally" come across.

I would say the biggest motivation is that quite frankly a lot of my life has been a lot of starts and no finishes and I want this to be the exception. As I get older I realize that need these completions.

And honestly, holding a finished page in my hands upon completion just feels awesome. I can only imagine what the book will feel like.
-DeviantArt account
Dave Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #8
yakattack_one

yakattack_one is on a distinguished road

I have to say a desire to see my projects published.
Also My Wife and daugther are huge motivation. I want to be able to support them and let my wife quit working and stay at home with my daughter. If my wife wants to go to college then that is there as an option for her.

Also I am tired of doing Customer Service and having to go to work everyday.
I just want to stay at home and write, letter and color comics.

Final thing is seeing the pride in my wifes face when I say that I finished a script or another project.
yakattack_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
Mark Bertolini
Scum of the Earth.

Mark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganza
What gets you motivated?

1. Lucious hooters!

Yeah, but...motivated to do what? (And with which hand?)

-Tom Waits
Mark Bertolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

I am motivated by anger, frustration, and bile.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:15 PM   #11
ShanE
Digital Chameleon

Location: the tree, the rock, the air around you...its all Concept Art
ShanE has a spectacular aura aboutShanE has a spectacular aura about

Me, I want to maintain my family at home with me, so I take on huge chunks of work with tight deadlines. If you put yourself in a possision of "do or die" you WILL find a way to be motivated. Especially since if you consistantly blow deadlines and do choppy work, the word gets aroung REAL fast in the indie commmunity. So unless you want to be your own barrier to personal success, get your self in some projects and GET THEM DONE. DON"T let people down or it will haunt you like in-laws.
ShanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

Money and COcaine.
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #13
Jason Berek-Lewis
DragonFUZE Comics

Jason Berek-Lewis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLCBertolini
Yeah, but...motivated to do what? (And with which hand?)
When it comes to hooters, I am ambidexterous

What is motivating me right now is that after 3 or 4 years or hard work, I am starting to break through. Seeing artists do concept sketches, or being interested in working with me, motivates me. Applying for writing positions motivates me. Having small press studios approaching me to write for them is certainly motivating!

However, the greatest motivator of all is the work for hire contract. Once you sign one, you are obligated to be motivated

My Blog

My Space
Jason Berek-Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
Phatman
Midi-chlorians are a lie!

Phatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud of

My motivation is usually 10% inspiration and 90% desperation. I usually move on things when they need to be done. I'm always motivated and inspired to draw. However, drawing what I want to draw and what I need to draw are two different things.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #15
daredevil 666
Election #1 On Sale!

daredevil 666 is on a distinguished road

I tend to set goals/deadlines for myself.
Also, having some awesome music in the background really gets the creative juices flowing.