Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 05-22-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
Henning Brazer
I'm down with love.

Henning Brazer is on a distinguished road

Inking Question - what comes first - the Chicken or the egg

I have been going through quite a few inking tutorials - basically covering everything - from tools to styles and so on.

But a basic question has been bothering me for quite a bit and I was hoping some of the inkers here can give me a hand.

I usually pencil my pages with an H3 which leaves little groves in the paper and it is very hard to erase - and then ink over it. Do all you inkers ink over the original artwork and erase the pencils or is there some other way?

Something I did read is that you use a lightbox and ink on a blank paper and keep the original pencils intact - but shouldn't the blank inking paper then be quite thin for better transparency? And if so, can normal copying paper be used? And again, if so, does using lighter paper detract from the inks?

Can anybody shed light on how their inking procedure works?

Thanks beforehand!!

Life is about making love and eating good food - all the other things are just there to pass the time.
Henning Brazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

I'm no inker, but I'm almost certain that when not inking over originals and using the light box they ink onto art board. With the light box the art board is transparent enough.
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

I've honestly never heard of the light box thing except maybe if they're inking with vellum paper over top of either the original or a greyscale photocopy/printout. That's how I started out, actually. But there was no lightbox involved, because vellum is almost transparent. I don't know anyone that does the lightbox thing for inking.

The two main ways of inking are on originals, and on blue line printouts which are printed onto bristol paper or art boards.

And we don't use normal copying paper for inking because it can't take the ink without warping. Vellum is ok for pen and markers, and bristol is best for nibs and brushes.

For truth, justice, and pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
See Jim I TOLD you, you can only lose it once!
Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

Jason can probably elaborate further, but we scan in the pencils and print them out on 11X17 blueboard.

Or, if the pencils are really tight and we are using a cartoony, cartoon network style we can often let the computer do the bulk of the inking, and using a wacom tablet fill in the rest. Not a preferred method, but cheaper and less time consuming. We've only experimented with it at this point, nothing on the market.
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

TJ: scan/print onto blueboard = take pencil scan and print it out in blue line on bristol

Quote:
Old 05-22-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
Henning Brazer
I'm down with love.

okay, okay - let me get this straight.

If you do scan in the pencils and you print out a non-repro blue version - do you print it out on a A4 sheet? Because that is the only size my printer can print out.

Or am I missing something? Wouldn't A4 be quite small to ink over?

Thanks for all the help so far!!!

Life is about making love and eating good food - all the other things are just there to pass the time.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
Henning Brazer
I'm down with love.

Hi Mecha

Is Vellum like a thick transparency paper? (ugh! you already answered this - but I just have to re-ask - sorry ) Is that the normal name for it? I've never heard of it.

What grammage would you recommend?

Old 05-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
jpruitt0692002

jpruitt0692002 is on a distinguished road

When i started inking traditionally, I used a lightbox and still do when i ink traditionally to avoid cost on having things printed out. I generally use either the original art or a really high res printout on it. I use 70lb britsol board and if you have a decent lightbox, you should not have any problems inking.

http://jpruitt0692002.deviantart.com
jpruitt0692002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
twistercomics
Professional Comic type

twistercomics is on a distinguished road

Ok I want to put in my 2 cents.

When I started in 94 you would ink over pencil copies using Vellum.....semi Clear or even clear....Ink layed kinda thick

With a light box you can use Bristol Board and ink over copies or originals if you wanted to keep the pencils seperate.

Now people use bluelines to ink if they don;t have originals. They make bluelines on Bristol Board also.

So if you can ink on the originals that is best but if not make bluelines .....if not that then lightbox

www.myspace.com/twistercomics

Marvel, DC, Image and other stuff
twistercomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #10
JMan

JMan will become famous soon enough

I do all my inking on blueline copies, 2-ply bristol, 11x17
JMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #11
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan
I do all my inking on blueline copies, 2-ply bristol, 11x17
Ditto.
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:53 PM   #12
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Vellum is drafting and architectural paper. It's transluscent enough to see details of paper below which makes it good for layering measurements and tracing in drafting. It makes it great for inking for the same reason: you can see the pencils below the vellum as you ink on it. It's just harder to use nibs on it or lots of ink like with a brush because the nibs tear at it and heavy wet ink warps it.

Quote:
Old 05-23-2006, 05:18 AM   #13
shushubag

shushubag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning Brazer
I have been going through quite a few inking tutorials - basically covering everything - from tools to styles and so on.

But a basic question has been bothering me for quite a bit and I was hoping some of the inkers here can give me a hand.

I usually pencil my pages with an H3 which leaves little groves in the paper and it is very hard to erase - and then ink over it. Do all you inkers ink over the original artwork and erase the pencils or is there some other way?

Something I did read is that you use a lightbox and ink on a blank paper and keep the original pencils intact - but shouldn't the blank inking paper then be quite thin for better transparency? And if so, can normal copying paper be used? And again, if so, does using lighter paper detract from the inks?

Can anybody shed light on how their inking procedure works?

Thanks beforehand!!
I did'nt read what everybody else said but here's my take if nobody already said it.

Light box- it's used so you can put a clear sheet of bristol or whatever paper you use over the pencilled work and trace without going directly over the original pencils. I can't afford a light box but I did manage to make a make shift light table, basically a glass surfaced table with a light to shine from the opposite way so I can see through the paper. Same concept it works.
shushubag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:03 AM   #14
Dave Reynolds
Art dork

Dave Reynolds is on a distinguished road

Bit of warning about vellum... If you're left handed or if you're like me and you tend to run your fingers along the paper, you do run ink smudge risks more than a normal sheet of cardstock.
-DeviantArt account
Dave Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #15
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Dave: Doesn't always happen. I'm hugely heavy handed and usually rested my left hand and the side of my inking hand on the page when I used to use vellum, and smoothing out the page. Never got a smudge.

Quote: