Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 05-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
Desktop

Desktop is on a distinguished road

Lulu.com?

I'm in the early stages of a work I'm planning on doing as a webcomic, but would eventualy like to publish as a TPB.

I looked at Lulu.com. Their setup looks good, and the distribution option looks very good, but I'm concerned about price, the average manga costs about $10.00 retail and Lulu's example of a 200pg B&W book is over $10.00 wholesale and over $20.00 recommended retail. That seems "out of the market" on price.

Anyone care to share their opinions on Lulu's quality price and/or service?

(Thank you all in advance)
Desktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
MrGranger
I'm really Richard Corben

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

Lulu fills a need. But I wouldn't recommend them to anyone serious about publishing. The quality is good...but just like CafePress, it's more geared for those selling to their Mom & Dad. The same book that costs $8 to make at Lulu will cost you $2-$3 anywhere else.

I have tested Lulu with a few books and I don't see people selling much outside their own market. (Family & Friends) You are better off printing yourself and selling yourself.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
MrGranger
I'm really Richard Corben

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

Check out this thread for ideas on other printers.
http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums...ad.php?t=91554
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

www.rapidpod.com
www.dreamweaverpress.com
www.comixpress.com

they will all give you squarebound books much less than Lulu.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Paul Sanderson
Dread Avenger

Paul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud of

Lulu are best for prose novels or even graphic novels, but not for regular sized comics. They are not cost efficient for those.
www.trinitycomics.com
www.twitter.com/Trinity_Comics
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trinit...43120692428699

Personal site: www.frankdirscherl.com
Paul Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
ehobbs

ehobbs is on a distinguished road

I've spent the last few weeks putting together a site called COMIC BOOK HUSTLE which will serve as a resource for those looking to self publish comic books and graphic novels.

It is still under heavy construction as I add posts and design the site, however, I am going to start working on a series of articles called the "POD Wars" that will give details on all the POD printers available.

I'm going to test them all with a single book and then report. So far, these are the printers on my list...

Comixpress
Ka-Blam
Rapid POD
Dreamweaver Press
Lulu
Cafe Press

Am I missing anyone? Let me know as I want it to be a pretty comprehensive resource.

I'll be reporting on everything. Customer service. Price. Print quality. Everything.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Paul Sanderson
Dread Avenger

Paul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud of

Dimestore is another option. Sounds like a worthy project, good luck with it.
www.trinitycomics.com

Old 05-24-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

Dimestore no longer prints

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
innocentboy

innocentboy has disabled reputation

good info

bump

"NICE ARTWORK. I RESPECT YOUR TALENT ... REAL RECOGNIZE REAL" - Ill Bill

"NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee

"CHECK THIS BOOK OUT" - Newsarama.com

SONG OF SONGS THE COMIC BOOK
www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com
innocentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:08 PM   #10
Paul Sanderson
Dread Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljamal
Dimestore no longer prints
Oh yes, I'd forgotten that. Well, I'm sure that will change before too long.
www.trinitycomics.com

Old 05-24-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

I bought the Hurricane Relief webcomic book I was in, and I wasnt thrilled with the paper quality on the inside. It was kinda cheap. Cover was nice.

I have a JOe and Monkey collection that was printed there, and it actually feels much better. Maybe it's a size issue, where the bigger the book, the floppier the interior stock?? Something to keep in mind.
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:38 AM   #12
Paul Sanderson
Dread Avenger

Where was that, DJ?
www.trinitycomics.com

Old 05-31-2006, 02:52 AM   #13
TheReadLine

TheReadLine is on a distinguished road

I think it's important to note that if you publish with Lulu, you grant them the rights to that work. Some people may not be comfortable with that arrangement.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:45 AM   #14
Paul Sanderson
Dread Avenger

That's been covered before here on the board I recall. It's no different to doing anything with Zazzle, Cafepress etc. etc. You still own your own work. I self published my first novel with Lulu initially, before signing a book contract with Coscom Entertainment to re-publish that novel and subsequent novels. Not a problem at all.
www.trinitycomics.com

Old 05-31-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
AIPman1
Small Press Crusader

AIPman1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sanderson
Oh yes, I'd forgotten that. Well, I'm sure that will change before too long.
No, in fact it won't. I have no desire to re-enter the fray, and am going to be concentraiting all my energy into the Distribution area, including finally getting back to Self Publisher! Magazine. I started working the printing scene because there WERE NO ALTERNATIVES at the time I started poking around to have a solution for the SPA. Now there are a solid number of viable solutions, I'm not really feeling the need to broker things anymore, and the time I spent doing so will be better used on other things.
AIPman1 is offline   Reply With Quote