Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Steven Grants SAVING COMICS

Read this today at CBR. Pretty much confirms what a lot of us have been talking about on different threads. Follow the link ladies and gents!
http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...=2476#section2
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

That sounds more like an exercise to me, and not a way to save comics.

Saving comics is pretty simple actually. Get more comics into more people's hands. And you can't do that with the limited direct market.
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

I couldn't even finish reading this. This is such a non-argument/idea on so many levels.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Coffman
That sounds more like an exercise to me, and not a way to save comics.

Saving comics is pretty simple actually. Get more comics into more people's hands. And you can't do that with the limited direct market.
I agree. The direct market, at least from an independent is a lost cause. I'm not saying we shouldn't try and put product there. But we are fighting for shelf space, which Marvel and DC dominate. Hwere I agree with Mr. Grant is that the current system that Diamond has set up is skewed against the independent market. So at that point how do you work with a system that doesn't work for you and your retailer is litterally bombarded by crap from the two big companies. The only choice left is creating another alternative system that would get your books in more hands and in front of more readers.
Yes?
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Head shops and alternative record stores.

Isn't that where the direct market started anyway?
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
j giar
Has nothing to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckyrig
Head shops and alternative record stores.

Isn't that where the direct market started anyway?
Long live The Freak Brothers!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
j giar
Has nothing to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Story
I couldn't even finish reading this. This is such a non-argument/idea on so many levels.
Explain??!!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #8
ERoy
BLAH!

ERoy is on a distinguished road

Well, fixing the direct market is a start. Expanding on it is the next thing.

To me, comics seem to be one of the only markets where items are not returnable. Shops are unwilling or unable to give indie books a try or order proper amounts because they are stuck with what doesn't sell. Why there isn't a return policy for comics is beyond me.

Secondly, get comics into larger market. Put them in Wal-Mart and put exposure into them. Make it a mass-market again, and sales will go up.
ERoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERoy

To me, comics seem to be one of the only markets where items are not returnable. Shops are unwilling or unable to give indie books a try or order proper amounts because they are stuck with what doesn't sell. Why there isn't a return policy for comics is beyond me.

Secondly, get comics into larger market. Put them in Wal-Mart and put exposure into them. Make it a mass-market again, and sales will go up.

Not such a bad idea, really. The writer of a book for little kids I illustrated last year is trying to do just that - get it in to Walmart. Everybody goes there. Of course, Walmart is not famous for paying fairly.

Over 50 and still nifty.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERoy

Comics in general, Wal-mart and the mass-market would help. I doubt, though, it would help the indy market. The big dogs would still be the big dogs, and shelf-space is even more limited than in book stores.

I'd like to see a nice clean chain of fan entertainment based stores, places that are accessable, bright and professional. Imagine books, comics, movies, music and games all in a nice mid-sized store in locations all across the states. I want to go into a store in any state in any major city and be able to know exactly where and what I'm looking for. Familiarity breeds acceptance.

It's a pipe dream ... but it'd be nice. And image the buying power it would have within the direct market?

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #11
j giar
Has nothing to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Phillips
Comics in general, Wal-mart and the mass-market would help. I doubt, though, it would help the indy market. The big dogs would still be the big dogs, and shelf-space is even more limited than in book stores.

I'd like to see a nice clean chain of fan entertainment based stores, places that are accessable, bright and professional. Imagine books, comics, movies, music and games all in a nice mid-sized store in locations all across the states. I want to go into a store in any state in any major city and be able to know exactly where and what I'm looking for. Familiarity breeds acceptance.
It's a pipe dream ... but it'd be nice. And image the buying power it would have within the direct market?
Ron,
This has got to be one of the best ideas I've heard yet. Obviously movies and video games are as much an influence on or in comics as any other media. Instead of fighting and trying to compete with the gaming industry maybe embracing it and working with it is more plausible. I'm still not real sure about the Walmart gig. Being a family oriented company, I think some books would never find a home there. Look at the history of musical artist that have been boycotted and had their cd's either pulled or never put on the racks.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:35 AM   #12
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by j giar
Ron,
This has got to be one of the best ideas I've heard yet. Obviously movies and video games are as much an influence on or in comics as any other media. Instead of fighting and trying to compete with the gaming industry maybe embracing it and working with it is more plausible. I'm still not real sure about the Walmart gig. Being a family oriented company, I think some books would never find a home there. Look at the history of musical artist that have been boycotted and had their cd's either pulled or never put on the racks.
Very valid point. On my own, I almost certainly would not go there, it is not a very fair company anyway. I mentioned it because of course what the people who hire us do is out of our hands, and I certainly wish them luck. But the idea of having fan entertainment stores is excellent....

Over 50 and still nifty.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
Aaron Hübrich
www.conceptopolis.com

Aaron Hübrich has disabled reputation

This may piss off a lot of people here, but when we try and say as a community, "Hey, comics are cool!" it comes off as very "uncool" and desperate to many people. Other industries (such as movie and video games) tap comic artists and writers all the time. They don't give a rat's a$$ about the comic industry though...only the creative minds that make them. The comic industry exists because of the creators - not the other way around.

To save comics is to not do anything at all except make very good stuff, oddly enough. Let the genius come through and people will find it.

There's not enough "now" thinking. Many creators are caught up in how it was "so much better back then", or "if only there was this type of market". Would it really matter if you were just doing your thing? Would you stop making comics if there was no classic style distributor? Would you stop making comics if there were no "comic shops"?

Think about it this way too...Many people are worried about the music industry, but the musicians who don't worry about it and just write good music - and just do their thing, end up rising above it all somehow. As comic creators, I think it would be good to take the same attitude. Worry less about how "hard" it is or "why this distributor sucks". Just make good books and do your best to get it seen by as many people as possible. You want to save this industry, then get off your butt and make good comics, period.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
j giar
Has nothing to add.

I agree in the fact that we, as an industry ned to put out quality product. That's a given. But no one will buy anything if they're not aware that it exists.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #15
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Psychic Marketing!!
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote