Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Cyclops
Going no places never

Cyclops will become famous soon enough

how much to hire Jim Lee to do a cover?

I'm putting together a comic book, and am curious if anyone here has any idea as to the rate a top quality/famous artist such as Jim Lee or Frank Quitley would charge for a cover? Yes, it's probably just a pipe dream that I could actually aford them, but its nice to know anyhow...anybody have any clue, ballpark figures?..?
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Cat
Evil Ginger Child

Cat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to behold

AirbrushCat.com
Comic Art Fans Gallery
Deviant Art
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
danedawg99
the Dawg-father

danedawg99 will become famous soon enoughdanedawg99 will become famous soon enough

you'd be better off contacting the artists directly concernig commissions and payment.
danedawg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
innocentboy

innocentboy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat

Jim Lee i'm guessing DC exclusive, so you'd have to buy DC from Warner.

Quietly, i don't know. Cat's guess is probably right

"NICE ARTWORK. I RESPECT YOUR TALENT ... REAL RECOGNIZE REAL" - Ill Bill

"NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee

"CHECK THIS BOOK OUT" - Newsarama.com

SONG OF SONGS THE COMIC BOOK
www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com
innocentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

Depends on the artist and your relationship with them, but you can expect to pay anywhere from $150-2000+ for pencils.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:40 AM   #6
WOLVIE

WOLVIE will become famous soon enough

Goodluck
WOLVIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:48 AM   #7
Erick Cruz
Starving Artist

Erick Cruz is on a distinguished road

DC exclusive Jim Lee means Jim cant do anything for Marvel. Or else you wouldnt see those Red Sonja covers he's currently doing painted by Gabrielle Del Otto.

Albert Moy is his art deale, try asking there

http://albertmoy.com/Artists.asp

Comic Book Creators Workshop

Last edited by Erick Cruz; 06-04-2006 at 05:52 AM.
Erick Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
innocentboy

innocentboy has disabled reputation

good point!

"NICE ARTWORK. I RESPECT YOUR TALENT ... REAL RECOGNIZE REAL" - Ill Bill

"NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee

"CHECK THIS BOOK OUT" - Newsarama.com

SONG OF SONGS THE COMIC BOOK
www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com
innocentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

Side note. While I was recovering from bad chinese food in Philly Sunday morning, I took a walk a few blocks from the con to a CVS for some Pepto. Jim Lee was walking toward me with some art under one arm and a rolling suitcase in the other. I didn't dare speak to him, for fear of my curry chicken from the night before resurfacing.

But it struck me that there we were, a block or so from the convention center, and no one recognized or stopped Jim Lee along the way. It's more or less the equivalent of a top Hollywood talent, or top sports athlete mulling around the streets, but with no one taking notice. Even in a city as big as Philly that would be unheard of.

Yet another reminder of how "off-the map" the comic industry is in the eyes of the US public.

But, yeah, especially if you want a completed cover you are probably on the high end of lJamal's scale. Most likely $3-4,000 for a completed color cover.
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
DannoE
Another wannabe

DannoE will become famous soon enough

On the other hand, if you think you can move 50 copies of your book to most retailers, you'd do well to spend the money and offer a one-in-75 variant to force them to order 25 more to get the variant. That'd guarantee you'll break the Top 100, if not the Top 50. Of course, if you don't think you can move quite that many, then it might not help as much as you'd hope. Opinions on that?

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

Awesome Storm Justice 41
Stray Voltage
MySpace

And now Bronx Angel on ComicSpace! Hooray!
DannoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoE
On the other hand, if you think you can move 50 copies of your book to most retailers, you'd do well to spend the money and offer a one-in-75 variant to force them to order 25 more to get the variant. That'd guarantee you'll break the Top 100, if not the Top 50. Of course, if you don't think you can move quite that many, then it might not help as much as you'd hope. Opinions on that?
Yeah, I've talked with some people at Philly about this option and a lot of folks like the idea of it. Personally I despise the variant cover idea, but the collectors love it.

According to MAtt Hawkins at Top Cow, you can get 4 different covers from the same piece of art. So, if you are a savvy marketer you could be on to something there.
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #12
Angel
aggresively passive

Angel is a name known to allAngel is a name known to allAngel is a name known to allAngel is a name known to allAngel is a name known to allAngel is a name known to allAngel is a name known to allAngel is a name known to allAngel is a name known to all

For $300 I will draw your cover in Jim Lee's style and sign it as Jim Leroy.

"Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon."
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
DannoE
Another wannabe

DannoE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. May
Yeah, I've talked with some people at Philly about this option and a lot of folks like the idea of it. Personally I despise the variant cover idea, but the collectors love it.

According to MAtt Hawkins at Top Cow, you can get 4 different covers from the same piece of art. So, if you are a savvy marketer you could be on to something there.
Running the numbers...

1. Maybe $4K to hire Jim Lee (or whoever).
2. Maybe another $10K to publicize the fact that you hired him.

At roughly $1/book profit, you'd need to sell a good number of extra books to justify the expense. I'd question the idea that it'd be worthwhile if you weren't already looking at sales in the neighborhood of 7-10K issues.

That said, I've been seriously considering asking David "Mouseguard" Petersen to do a variant cover for Bronx Angel if and when I ever manage to get it to Diamond. And I think a pic of Angel as a mouse in the South Bronx would be cool as all Hell.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

Awesome Storm Justice 41
Stray Voltage
MySpace

And now Bronx Angel on ComicSpace! Hooray!
DannoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:11 AM   #14
Tucker_680
Superhero Junkie

Tucker_680 is on a distinguished road

just to chime in with my two cents, a while back J Scott Campell did that "Ant" variant before it was at Image and then i think in a month or two, maybe sooner, there's a book coming out, "Siren" i believe is the name and it's cover, though i'm not sure if it's going to be the books only cover or if it's a variant, has Talent Caldwell doing the cover.

so not sure how much they cost, but maybe somewhat reasonable, since they are both "indy" books

"Do or Dot Not; There is no try."
Tucker_680 is offline   Reply With Quote