Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

What a great way to spend a Sunday!

Just peeking in taking a break from working on pages. While my wife and older daughter went shopping my youngest daughter, who is 5, is sitting next to me at my drawing table while I work at my desk penciling a page and pulling photo references from my computer files. She just drew a pencil portrait of her stuffed monkey Chloe and is now currently inking over her pencils with a Micron. How freakin cool is that! Anyone else with kids that show any interest in what you do?
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
jpruitt0692002

jpruitt0692002 is on a distinguished road

My kids are captivated about what i do. they are captivated by the whole process of making a comic. I have an 8 and a 4 yr old daughter and we will take a day and just draw whatever. we experiment with different tools and so forth. my oldest daughter really is interested with doing things on the computer so i have shown her how to color and do digital inking on computer. they both love comics and it makes me feel good knowing that they have an appreciation and understanding of something that i am very passionate about.

http://jpruitt0692002.deviantart.com
jpruitt0692002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
Screeny
Quite!

Screeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by j giar
While my wife and older daughter went shopping
Your daughter is older than your wife????
Screeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screeny
Your daughter is older than your wife????
If I wanted someone to point out my flaws I'd talk to my own family.
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
4-9-studios
Phour Nyne Guy

4-9-studios will become famous soon enough4-9-studios will become famous soon enough

My daughter who is 9 doesnt show much interest in comic art, however when she draws anything, she immediately comes to me for a critique. But this is what gets me, when you ask kids what they want to be when they grow up, many say a vet, doctor, teacher... her response is a director. She's had this same answer since she was 7. I haven't pushed her on it yet, but if she shows more interest on it in another year or so, i'll probably get her a cheap camera so she can make her own home movies with friends and cousins.

She LOVES coming with me to conventions! Already at her age she has her own purpose of attending cons, and roams the floor for what she likes. kids are so cool!

Phour Nyne
Phour Nyne 'n' Space
Phour Nyne 4 U
Lets Make a Comic Book
Questions, Comments, Love Letters here!
Yahoo IM four_nine_studios
MSN IM phour9guy
AOL IM phour9guy

Contact My Inker Enrique Robledo
4-9-studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
Steve Colle
Freelance Editor

Steve Colle is a jewel in the roughSteve Colle is a jewel in the roughSteve Colle is a jewel in the rough

Of my four kids, my two sons, 13 and 15, are the ones to get the biggest kick and show the most interest in my work. The youngest, at one point, was interested in the Captain Underpants and Super Diaper Baby series of books and had created his own stories with his own characters. The SDB books were actually created by 12 year olds who were very good storytellers for their ages, drawing the stories in comic format. Now he's more into writing rap songs, which is fantastic creatively. My oldest is the proudest of his ol' man, constantly talking about what I do to his friends and teachers, attending conventions with me, going to my workshops/panel discussions and asking questions, and sitting down with me to evaluate artwork. I keep encouraging him to set up an account here on DW, but he'll do that when he's ready. He wants to get into writing short stories, which is great. Though his understanding of the medium is limited and though he doesn't read comics, he has an interest in what I do.

My oldest daughter, soon to be 10, sometimes looks over my shoulder when I'm editing or critiquing, asks a couple of questions, and then leaves with an "Oh" comment. Well, at least she's looking, right?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:12 AM   #7
joshm
Comic Book creator

joshm is on a distinguished road

I have two daughters, 5 and 7, and they both love to draw and read comic books. My 7 year old is precocious and she writes her own stories and makes comic books out of them. She'll have me staple the ends so they are comic books. I've made a few comics for them and they love to color them.

Kids are great when you support them. When I was taking calculus a few semesters ago she would copy my home work. She didn't understand it, but she just wanted to do what I was doing (she has memorized the Pythagorean Theorem, though). When I would do an experiment in physics I'd have them help and they loved it too.

Josh
Old 06-05-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
scottr

scottr is on a distinguished road

My older daughter is 3 and she has one of those colorful plastic childs drawing desks that sits next to my big, serious looking grown-up drafting table. She draws quite a bit but at her age I haven't yet decided if she is showing real talent and interest, or is just mimicking her dad. In a way I hope she doesn't pursue art, because as we all know, it can be a tough life...
Old 06-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #9
Steve Colle
Freelance Editor

Steve Colle is a jewel in the roughSteve Colle is a jewel in the roughSteve Colle is a jewel in the rough

With you guys talking about your kids ages, I'm starting to feel like the senior citizen of the boards with my oldest being 15. I'm only 38, fer cryin' out loud!!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:34 AM   #10
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

My oldest of my 2 kids - 11 going on 14 year old son - draws all the time now. if I can't find a ruler, it's for sure he has it . He always checks up on what I'm doing. I'm enjoying it 'cause it won't last for long probably- he's been caught air-guitaring and air-drumming! (go figure, his dad's drumkit is set up downstairs, but kids would rather do the air instrument thing. I don't get it!) My eight yr old daughter just loves to draw too, but only when I sit in a comfy chair with her, which we've done together since she was just a cricket. But now she getting into the piano. And clothes. And more clothes. I think it's great that all these kids are getting into the pencil for at least a while... I know for a fact that it will come back to them in life, one way or the other. creativesynergy, my kids are younger than yours, but I'm older than you, so don't worry, I'm more likely the candidate for a walker here!

Over 50 and still nifty.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #11
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

Most of my cousins don't like to read.... I'm the only bookworm in the family, though I think mini artists run in our latest generation It only took me a couple minutes to get my 12 year old cousin reading a graphic novel I'd gotten from an event that particular day though. And the kids are always interested in what I'm drawing, so if I go to our family events I inevitably end up sitting at the table with paper and pencils all around and about half my cousins crowding the table drawing with me or watching me And a couple times a year I find some of those animated adventures of Batman or whatever comics for kids, and bring those for a few of them. They love them Though one of my aunts has banned me from doing pinup requests for my cousins that are in my age group.

For truth, justice, and pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
See Jim I TOLD you, you can only lose it once!
Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #12
j giar
Has nothing to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativesynergy
With you guys talking about your kids ages, I'm starting to feel like the senior citizen of the boards with my oldest being 15. I'm only 38, fer cryin' out loud!!
My oldest will be 15 in a month..and you know what that means...yeah, driving. Creative, I'm 43...I think me and jedi are running neck and neck to be put to pasture. ...or where ever they put senile artists. No offense jedi!?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

And now, once again, jedi will show her TRUE thread-stopping talents!! I am all-powerful! Bow down before me!! No, jiar, no offence, put me out to pasture any time, just keep me supplied with pencils, paper, beer, and chocolate. (they do go together, you just have to pick the right kind of beer - maple beer preferably)

Over 50 and still nifty.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #14
Icaruss
The Masked Avenger

Icaruss is on a distinguished road

I'm...

Fifteen.
Icaruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #15
j giar
Has nothing to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaruss
I'm...

Fifteen.
We hate you and envy you. ..