Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Question Question for Colorists

What kind of information does one need to give a colorist for a job? I mean, it's not a simple paint-by-numbers thing. I assume there is artistic interpretation, but also some guidelines about costuming, character design, and location need to be commincated.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
Pens&Pixels
EraserX

Pens&Pixels will become famous soon enoughPens&Pixels will become famous soon enough

It's absolutely neccessary to have basic character information. Costume colors, etc should be provided. Even if the colorist does something moody and the colors shift to represent that, he/she needs to know where to start. Other important information is time of day/weather. If these things are a part of the story, the colorist needs to know. You don't want someone coloring an entire issue at sunset only to find out the next issue picks up exactly where this one left off and it's bright outside. I've done it...it sucked. Other than that, just make sure they know what's going on with the story. If they're working on sequentials, give them a script. Nothing says "We don't consider your work an important part of the process" more than expecting a colorist to work on your book without letting them know the context of the pages they are coloring. It's important. Do it.