Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

Contracts for Managing Talent?

Hey guys I'm looking for any help, advice, info, experiences, anything that can help me out with this.

I'm starting to develop management for artists and I don't want to just give them a flimsy, general half page contract (it's amazing what little can go into a contract). I want to have a reliable and secure contract with them. But I'm stuck!

Does anyone here have any experience with that sort of thing, maybe they can point me at some good avenues for writing good contracts? Anything would be appreciated

For truth, justice, and pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
See Jim I TOLD you, you can only lose it once!
Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

As in YOU becoming a manager and finding them jobs? Or contracts for them to work FOR you on projects?
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

As in ME becoming their manager and finding them jobs, etc, yes.

Quote:
Old 06-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

I guess there's no one on here that can help me with this ^_^;;

Quote:
Old 06-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
MrGranger
I'm really Richard Corben

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

Um...I wish I could. I pay my lawyer for this. Contracts can be very touchy.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I guess there's no one on here that can help me with this ^_^;;
Yeah, my experience is that unless you are dealing with a big name talent, finding someone comic gigs isn't very profitable. So, there's probably not a lot of info for this sort of thing. The industry is too small, the jobs to few, and the highest paying jobs are offered directly from the company, they don't need to be sought out.

But, you can check under contracts in the resources section. Before you begin managing someone's career though, you may won't to get a law degree if you don't already have one. It can get very tricky.

My best
--T
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
MrGranger

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

BTW...my lawyer is pretty reasonable.

Each contract is a few hundred but there are even cheaper options.

http://www.legalzoom.com/
http://www.nolo.com/

Hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #8
albone
Jabbroni

albone is just really nicealbone is just really nicealbone is just really nicealbone is just really nicealbone is just really nicealbone is just really nice

Have you checked out the Creator Community sticky?
http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums...ad.php?t=85060

Lots 'O good stuff there, as well as contract resources....be sure to scroll down for it.

The first link is a pdf of a crapload of various contracts for different situations put together I think, by DJ.

Can you dig it?

Quote:
Hey guys I'm looking for any help, advice, info, experiences, anything that can help me out with this.

I'm starting to develop management for artists and I don't want to just give them a flimsy, general half page contract (it's amazing what little can go into a contract). I want to have a reliable and secure contract with them. But I'm stuck!

Does anyone here have any experience with that sort of thing, maybe they can point me at some good avenues for writing good contracts? Anything would be appreciated
Old 06-08-2006, 03:51 AM   #9
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Thanks guys Yeah I have a lawyer that can put the contract together for me, just is REALLY expensive up here....

TJ: No law degree required, I've actually been doing management for artists for a while already as favours for friends. There's people asking me to expand though and I don't know some of the artists as well as I do others. So I want a more secure measure in place.

Thanks for the info guys!

Quote:
Old 06-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
MrGranger

"No law degree required, I've actually been doing management for artists for a while already as favours for friends."
-Mecha

"A friendship founded on business is a good deal better than a business founded on friendship."
- John D. Rockefeller

I've made the same mistake myself. And while those templates are fine if no/little money is involved, AS SOON AS there is any significant amount of money you'll wish you'd hired that lawyer. No contract template / do-it-yourself form is good enough for long term business. $300 to pay a lawyer is squat to insure many years of "friendship".
Old 06-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
fluxchild
Zombie Hunter

fluxchild has a spectacular aura aboutfluxchild has a spectacular aura about

what about writers?

High Art

3rd Eye Comics
ARW Visions
"What do you see with your 3rd eye
fluxchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #12
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Granger: I know that, that is why I'm going to have contracts written up for this. I'll be visiting my region's law school for information Thanks guys!

Flux: Yes?

Quote: