Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Thinking outside the box..or at least looking.

Spent my Sunday at the local library with my, now 6 year old daughter. She's alot like me. When I get into book stores, dvd or cd shops and obviously comic shops, I just could spend hours looking and exploring. I try to keep her intake of commercial literature down to a minimum. O.K. one Disney book, Clifford, Arthur...I just want her to explore the things that get overlooked or pushed aside. So I spent most of my time in the childrens section. Yeah I know, it's a great way to spend a Sunday. The big cash-in tally....We discovered a writer/ artist by the name of Raymond Briggs. My daughter picked up his book because of the bear on the cover. I opened the front cover and was blown away. The artwork is done in either colored pencil or crayon but get this. It's described as a picture book. Yes, it's told in comic book format. You have to see it. Beautiful stuff. We checked out The Bear and his earlier work The Snowman. The latter is told without any dialogue. I recommend them highly if you have kids or are in the comics field. Here is a link on his bio. I'll let you look for the books.
http://magicpencil.britishcouncil.org/artists/briggs/
My next find was an artist by the name of CB Mordan. We checked out the title Lost by Paul Fleischman. Mr. Mordan supplies the artwork. His pen and ink work is exquisite and made me feel inferior and inspired all at once. But my big mega find? Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean. We're cracking this one open tonight.
What's my point to all this? We are constantly talking about getting our product in more hands and different ideas..different avenues. Wouldn't it be great to have a book in your local library? Folks if you're not checking out the library, you're neglecting your mind and your creativity.
Scott Story if you read this. I personally signed out Cash- An American Man by Bill Miller. If you haven't read it...pick it up.
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.

Last edited by j giar; 06-12-2006 at 05:15 PM.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

I SO agree with your view on the library. I have donated (and I think a few others here have done the same in their areas) a few of my older comic books to my local library so that there are at least a few of those books that some kids might look at and get interested in. It's great you show your kids all that stuff,but don't forget whatever you are reading they will want to explore. But adults around here anyway are very "prejudiced" when it comes to reading comics. They wouldn't be caught dead reading one. The library would be a great place to promote different kinds of comic books and graphic novels in a "safe" (read free) environment. I can see it now: "Come with the family to the -insert name- library on -insert date- and explore the Graphic World of Novels!" Personally, I think it would be great. Hmm, giving me ideas... Free chocolate might help too.

Over 50 and still nifty.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
JamieRoberts

JamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud of

Dude, the animated version of The Snowman was a UK TV staple of Christmas viewing for about fifteen years. I swear, you mention it to anyone in the UK, they all start singing 'Walking In The Air'!

I agree, it's great, fun, innocent stuff and you don't get many like that these days. It's certainly better than the cheaper, cut-n-paste styles with badly painted backgrounds that litter the cartoon world right now.

The concept of getting comics or comic-esque books into libraries is a good one. Quite a lot do have them already, so in effect you would be competing with Marvel/DC et al once again in terms of attention-grabbing, but I bet people who use a library haven't already got in mind that they need All-Star Superman or whatever before they go in, so there's likely more chance of getting looked at. Simple idea, really.

Last edited by JamieRoberts; 06-12-2006 at 07:34 PM.
JamieRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

I had a copy of Raymond's Etherl and Ernest for a long time. Good Stuff

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by quones
Dude, the animated version of The Snowman was a UK TV staple of Christmas viewing for about fifteen years. I swear, you mention it to anyone in the UK, they all start singing 'Walking In The Air'!

I agree, it's great, fun, innocent stuff and you don't get many like that these days. It's certainly better than the cheaper, cut-n-paste styles with badly painted backgrounds that litter the cartoon world right now.

The concept of getting comics or comic-esque books into libraries is a good one. Quite a lot do have them already, so in effect you would be competing with Marvel/DC et al once again in terms of attention-grabbing, but I bet people who use a library haven't already got in mind that they need All-Star Superman or whatever before they go in, so there's likely more chance of getting looked at. Simple idea, really.
This guy is my new hero and I'm seeking out other titles from him. I was just simply blown away by The Bear. Incredible!
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
JamieRoberts

JamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud of

I think I remember seeing an animation by the same team who did The Snowman a few years ago, about a cat who dressed as Elvis on a night. It was pretty funny as I recall. Can't remember the name though. Something like 'Superstar (name)'. Helpful, eh?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
innocentboy

innocentboy has disabled reputation

wishing there were some scanned jpgs posted in thier thread, but either way, was a nice post. glad you're showing your daughter the fine world of sequential art and spending time with her and shit

"NICE ARTWORK. I RESPECT YOUR TALENT ... REAL RECOGNIZE REAL" - Ill Bill

"NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee

"CHECK THIS BOOK OUT" - Newsarama.com

SONG OF SONGS THE COMIC BOOK
www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com
innocentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #8
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

Sort of unrelated, but there's a webcomic called Unshelved that has done really GREAT by working with libraries. I heard they sell a TON of books. Here's their site--- niche marketing at it's finest... http://www.overduemedia.com/
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
JamieRoberts

Old 06-13-2006, 07:52 AM   #10
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

Librarians are dying for more graphic novels. They don't really want the perodical comics because a) they don't hold up well b) they are often stolen. But it's up to the publishers to point the way. They have no idea what to buy or where to shelve them. They too are stuck on the "comics are for kids wagon", but they are at least starting to come around as younger "hipper" librarians come into the marketplace.

We are working with a local comic shop to start a program in Mass. to get the word out about GNs and what are available.
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #11
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

quones, isn't that the animated tv version hosted by David Bowie? If it is, it's played every year during the Christmas holidays, and has that haunting melody the little boy sings as he and the snowman fly through the air. Did the same team create " the man who planted trees"? (I think that's the name) another really incredible story in the same vein.

Over 50 and still nifty.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #12
JamieRoberts

Dunno about Bowie. Maybe he was added to overseas versions. Otherwise, sounds like the same thing. There was a Santa cartoon also, I think it was called Father Christmas.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #13
j giar
Has nothing to add.

Jamie, Thanks for posting The Snowman artwork. I read some where that Mr. Briggs also did a story involving nuclear fallout? Does that sound right?
Jedi, I though of you and your work when I read The Bear. You have to see that one. I'll try and find a sample of some of the pages.
I think this could quite possibly be an untapped area for GN's. I know the big guns may already have some in place. I guess what blew me away about these books is the fact that they're not presented as GN's. Because of content they were in with the rest of the childrens books.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #14
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

J giar, I'm blushing to pieces now! I'm not even in the same ballpark as the Bear - but you're right, it's a great book. We read it to our daughter when she was small(er).

Over 50 and still nifty.