Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
BillNichols
Inker and Editor

BillNichols is on a distinguished road

Sketch Magazine: Comics Editors

I'm doing something for the magazine and I'd like to know: What would you ask an editor? About the job he or she does? The decision he or she makes? What?
BillNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Hey Bill how about some of these. How do they make their decisions? How do they decide creative teams? How do they decide what's a good story and what is not. In the past, how did they come up with or decide the direction of any given series or characters. What do they do in their spare time. Do they get creative block? And if so how do they over come it. Do they do anything during their creative brainstorming. I.e, chew on a pencil, spin aroound in their chair( I do this one.), listen to music. How do they manage an entire creative team. What are the ins and outs of dealing with many different personalities, in a creative group..... Anyone else?
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
BillNichols
Inker and Editor

J

That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm wanting on this!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

Pretty much what J said. How do they arrive at the decisions they make? Do they prefer working with people they already know? How do they find new people? What do they do with people that cause them problems or teams that don't get along? What do they think about groups that are located in different areas, ie getting everyone to communicate regularly and the like. Do they like chocolate? No, no, just kidding on that one....

Over 50 and still nifty.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
innocentboy

innocentboy has disabled reputation

just wanted to big up Sketch Magazine. haven't seen in a while, guessing my LCS doesn't carry it no more, but was loving it when it was coming out.

very aspiring creator friendly magazine

"NICE ARTWORK. I RESPECT YOUR TALENT ... REAL RECOGNIZE REAL" - Ill Bill

"NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee

"CHECK THIS BOOK OUT" - Newsarama.com

SONG OF SONGS THE COMIC BOOK
www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com
innocentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
jrod
the moose in the closet

jrod will become famous soon enoughjrod will become famous soon enough

I recently got an email from someone who was trying out comic editing and wanted to talk to me a bit about it. I told him to give me a call. He starts the conversations by saying, This is so weird. I usually do comic stuff over email. I questioned him further and hes worked on three small projects and everyone of them hes never talked to the person hes editing over the phone it was always email or IM. I thought that was nuts.

So Id certainly ask how he communicates with his team.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #7
innocentboy

innocentboy has disabled reputation

remember when i first discovered it, was bigging it up and Alex Maleev himself even chimed in and gave some kudos to the mag

"NICE ARTWORK. I RESPECT YOUR TALENT ... REAL RECOGNIZE REAL" - Ill Bill

"NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee

"CHECK THIS BOOK OUT" - Newsarama.com

SONG OF SONGS THE COMIC BOOK
www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com
innocentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
BillNichols
Inker and Editor

innocentboy

Thanks very much for the nice words about Sketch Magazine. As you can tell, we're still putting it out (now back on schedule even!) Check it out sometime when you get the chance. www.bluelinepro.com
Old 06-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
BillNichols
Inker and Editor

jrod

Tell me more. I'm interested in how that works for him.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #10
Shishio

Shishio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod
...and everyone of them he’s never talked to the person he’s editing over the phone – it was always email or IM. I thought that was nuts.
Why?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
dano

dano has disabled reputation

Is there any requirement for them to have art director experience/education since they work so heavily with art and choosing artists?
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #12
Poboy

Poboy is on a distinguished road

How do they choose an artist - is it just 'like it/don't like it', or, would they choose someone who's work the don't personally like if it met whatever other criteria they have?
Poboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #13
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Bill, not to get to far off subject. Can we order Sketch directly thru blueline?
Thanks, Jim Giar
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:18 PM   #14
DungeonMasterJm

DungeonMasterJm is on a distinguished road

I would love to hear what a typical day is for an editor - pretty much their general duties. Do they play phone tag between creators? If the artist and writer don't agree on something does the editor make the final decision? Do they handle contract singings at all?

If the editor needs a book out in 2 or 3 weeks because a creator backs out last minute who do they go with to get the book completed? A friend? A friend of a friend?

Do they ever read comic book forums?

What do they take home with them from a con? (The reason I'm asking this is because I'm certain that I saw Erik Larsen say that he doesn't take comic porposals home from cons because he has too much other stuff to carry home.)

DM Jim
DungeonMasterJm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:37 PM   #15
jrod
the moose in the closet

jrod will become famous soon enoughjrod will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishio
Why?
I guess you can say its a matter of preference but to really edit not just proof read you need to get into it pretty deep with the artists. A lot of times, with electronic notes, theyre either confused or not fully realized or the writer/artist doesnt understand why you want to make the change. It can lead to a sloppy final product. Plus, a lot of times by actually talking and explaining over the phone, the end result will be even better than either of you intended.

Personal preference electronic notes, phone call, repeat. It allows both sides to collect their thoughts.

I guess I dont like AIM because most people type faster than me. If Im editing thats not a good situation. It ends up with both sides sort of talking over each other and my side getting drowned out.

Anyway, Bill, the guy who wrote me was just doing some pitch work for the most part, tagging along with folks who were trying to get their books picked up by Image and what not. So its not to say his technique was really working, but I certainly told him to at least try phone calls insist on them if he must. He said he will.

Its just a more efficient process, less back and forth. My coeditor for POSTCARDS and I talk at least twice week and Ive called each of the 30 guys involved in the book multiple times (Except one guy whos in England I should really get international calls put on my phone, though). Its usually five minutes and were both on the same exact page.

I think the internet and track changes in Word have made people slack off the craft a bit.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote