Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
scherzo
I know things

scherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nice

WildStorm talent search drama

Most of you probably already know about the Wizard sponsored Wildstorm art contest that was held at the recent big Philadelphia comiccon. I made a one day trip to the show with some buddies on Saturday, and dropped off my obligatory submission. I knew they would announce the winner on Sunday, but it wasn't until that MONDAY that I found out contest finalists from the LA art contest in March were eliminated, if they weren't around for the last convention show.

This rubbed me the wrong way for a couple of reasons. First of all, the Wizard contest entry rules didn't say Sunday attendance was a condition of winning.(if they did, I sure wasn't the only one who missed it) Second...what does being able to attend 2 out of 3 days of a weekend convention, have to do with your potential value as a would be comics pro? It gave me the impression the people behind the contest were more interested in putting on their version of "American Idol" than actually tracking down the best candidate. I felt particularly bad because Jim Lee is one of my faves, and his active participation in the selection process was my primary motivation for participating.

Anyway Wizard announced the name of the winner of the Philly submission contest, along with the names of the other 3 finalists. Sure enough, ONE of the finalists was a no show for the Sunday ceremony. Mark Rand of Baldwin apparently had better things to do that day.
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazi.../000380387.cfm
Hey...I hadda work. I suppose if I'd known Jim Lee would be calling out my name in a neighboring state, I'd have taken the day off.

Anyway while I couldn't be more pleased to find out Wildstorm sees some merit in my drawings, I can't help but find it a little disturbing that further participation hinged on something like convention attendance. To be honest, it's doubtful I would have actually accepted an invitation to a 3 month internship on the other side of the country, for a pay scale less than half of what I'm currently living on. But you can be damn sure I'd draw anything they asked me to, just to stay on their collective radar. Have I missed an opportunity here?

-scherzo
scherzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

JasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the rough

It's a little shitty thinking that our future entertainment is based not on talent so much as attendance! Then again, it likely just means you would have been late on every other issue :P

Congrats on the nomination and I'm sorry it didn't work out!

Join the Ellium mailing list!
The_Ellium-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
JasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
jrod
the moose in the closet

jrod will become famous soon enoughjrod will become famous soon enough

If this recharges you, which it should, it was worth it.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
DannoE
Another wannabe

DannoE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo
Have I missed an opportunity here?
I don't think so. You got on their radar screen, and that seems to have been the point of the exercise, so then the next question is, "How do you capitalize on the relationship?"

THAT is where being around on Sunday would have helped, but it's still probably worth your time to send somebody an email and see what's what. At worst, you'll be where you are now.

Personally, I'd suggest you sit down, pound out a three or four issue mini series, pitch it to Image (or someone else) and then have your resume say:
- Wildstorm Contest Finalist
- Image mini series veteran

At that point, I'd think you'd be able to get your pick of paying work.

My $.02.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

Awesome Storm Justice 41
Stray Voltage
MySpace

And now Bronx Angel on ComicSpace! Hooray!
DannoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

Either way, this is all experience and can go on your resume.

No one will really give a crap if you were in a contest or a winner of anything-- if your work is fuckinng amazing when they see it, and then you also have a few blurbs about you tucked away somewhere, that could help.

Consistancy! If you've opened up a bridge, don't burn it down. Take it from me, King of Bridge Burners! hahahah...
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

No one gives a shit if you win some contest. They will look at your samples, and if you make it it will be based on your samples, not past contests.

I'm in a bad mood today, but I'd rather get whacked in the head than ever do another contest, sample page, work on contingency, etc. Great holy crap, who needs one more crap-fest cattle call. I did all that shit, and it just leads to hope followed by pain. Pfah! Life is too short!

The breaking point for me was when a certain big publisher ran a lottery at cons to see an editor. Well, if just seeing an editor was based on random chance, not my skill or professionalism, then forget it.

Like I said, I'm in a crummy mood, so please overlook my comments and continue with said contest discussion.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Fahnon

Fahnon is on a distinguished road

No I agree with you. It seems like the pubs are not really interested in finding new talent. Wouldn't care if there was an alternative besides Image (not that I don't like Image but it would be nice to have more people who might like your art).

As for Mark he does need to capitalize on this. I think he's right on the cusp of breaking in...

Last edited by Fahnon; 06-16-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Fahnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #8
Aaron Hübrich
www.conceptopolis.com

Aaron Hübrich has disabled reputation

This may come off badly, but what really bugs ME is that when I read about someone involved in a submission process, they rarely post their work so some other editor can see it...No offense "scherzo" - a lot of folks don't do it here.

Marketing advise for artists: Every time you post here *as an artist wanting to break in*, make damn sure you have a link to your work in your signature. If not, it's like being kicked to the back of the submission line...

It blows me a way how many artists that post here don't have a link to their current work. That's a grave mistake these days as editors who *are* looking for talent can't see your work because you don't have a FREE Imagashack or MySpace account set up...SHOW YOUR WORK ONLINE and you have a much better chance of being hired.

In my opinion, going to a show and tossing your portfolio down in front of an editor is such a hassle for both parties. Yes, you get the experience and get to meet people, but because there's dozens of other people waiting to get their chance to show their stuff, it tends to lack the quality experience it really needs to be.

Yes, show your portfolio, but make sure you have a business card to hand them so "Editor X" can research you later...Hmm, I wonder how they're going to do that? Sifting through a stack of paper or finding your pages online and book marking you so they can contact you in the future? That simple little business card (with a phone and email listed) is well worth the money and won't get lost as easily as those dog-eared copies.

I suggest using these guys: http://www.overnightprints.com/main.php

Good luck at your favorite Wizard Con!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #9
jrod
the moose in the closet

jrod will become famous soon enoughjrod will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Hübrich
This may come off badly, but what really bugs ME is that when I read about someone involved in a submission process, they rarely post their work so some other editor can see it...No offense "scherzo" - a lot of folks don't do it here.

Marketing advise for artists: Every time you post here *as an artist wanting to break in*, make damn sure you have a link to your work in your signature. If not, it's like being kicked to the back of the submission line...

It blows me a way how many artists that post here don't have a link to their current work. That's a grave mistake these days as editors who *are* looking for talent can't see your work because you don't have a FREE Imagashack or MySpace account set up...SHOW YOUR WORK ONLINE and you have a much better chance of being hired.

In my opinion, going to a show and tossing your portfolio down in front of an editor is such a hassle for both parties. Yes, you get the experience and get to meet people, but because there's dozens of other people waiting to get their chance to show their stuff, it tends to lack the quality experience it really needs to be.

Yes, show your portfolio, but make sure you have a business card to hand them so "Editor X" can research you later...Hmm, I wonder how they're going to do that? Sifting through a stack of paper or finding your pages online and book marking you so they can contact you in the future? That simple little business card (with a phone and email listed) is well worth the money and won't get lost as easily as those dog-eared copies.

I suggest using these guys: http://www.overnightprints.com/main.php

Good luck at your favorite Wizard Con!
Well, just coming back from scherzo's profile to click to see threads started by him to see which ones were in the Artist Showcase to see if he had a style I could use for Postcards (because I still need to fill two slots) I'd say "here, here" to all of this.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #10
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

I've had a website for almost ten years. That's where I get all my work. If others' don't want to advertise online, fine. I get the work.

Admittedly, while my portfolio is available off this site, I haven't had anything under my posts, like links or banners, on this site or others, for a while. Yeah, you can get to my site by my sig., but that's not good enough.

I'm in a crappy mood. Shortcomings suck.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #11
Aaron Hübrich
www.conceptopolis.com

Aaron Hübrich has disabled reputation

Having anything is a start. Posting as an artist with no way of seeing your work is too modest I think.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
Raven
Writer

Raven has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Coffman

No one will really give a crap if you were in a contest or a winner of anything-- if your work is fuckinng amazing when they see it, and then you also have a few blurbs about you tucked away somewhere, that could help.

Consistancy! If you've opened up a bridge, don't burn it down. Take it from me, King of Bridge Burners! hahahah...
Actually, no one really pays attention to a bridge until suddenly it is in danger. . .
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #13
scherzo
I know things

scherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nicescherzo is just really nice

Quote:
I don't think so. You got on their radar screen, and that seems to have been the point of the exercise, so then the next question is, "How do you capitalize on the relationship?"

THAT is where being around on Sunday would have helped, but it's still probably worth your time to send somebody an email and see what's what. At worst, you'll be where you are now.

Personally, I'd suggest you sit down, pound out a three or four issue mini series, pitch it to Image (or someone else) and then have your resume say:
- Wildstorm Contest Finalist
- Image mini series veteran

At that point, I'd think you'd be able to get your pick of paying work.
Hey DannoE. Your words make sense as always. After taking a look at DC's weirdly militaristic submission guidelines, I've actually begun more intense development of my own material. I'm almost ready to begin actively putting a working script together for the project.
Quote:
I agree Coffman. I'm definitely glad I took those few days and put my bid in for the contest, and it was fun trying my hand at the characters.
Quote:
The breaking point for me was when a certain big publisher ran a lottery at cons to see an editor. Well, if just seeing an editor was based on random chance, not my skill or professionalism, then forget it.
You're right Scott. A major publisher ought to be embarrassed to have such a system in play at a con. Thinking about random nonsense like this can certainly make a bad mood worse.
Quote:
No I agree with you. It seems like the pubs are not really interested in finding new talent.
Well Fahnon based on some of the discussions I've had with editors at shows recently, I think you could safely say it's not exactly at the top of their priority list.

-scherzo
Old 06-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #14
Nick Pitarra
Illustrator Extraordinair

Nick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a finalist from the L.A. Con...and I thought it was pretty clear that you had to be there to accept. That really sucks that you didn't pick that up. Best of luck to you. I wish you had those pages posted for viewing.

~nick
Nick Pitarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #15
scherzo
I know things

Quote:
It's a little shitty thinking that our future entertainment is based not on talent so much as attendance! Then again, it likely just means you would have been late on every other issue :P

Congrats on the nomination and I'm sorry it didn't work out!
Thanks Jason. I'm not really that depressed about it, but I do have big issues with the policy given how little sense it makes.
Quote:
If this recharges you, which it should, it was worth it.
Definitely true jrod. I'd have been more than a little demoralized if the work were totally dismissed.
Quote:

Well the posting I've done here has been much more for critiques, than work solicitation Aaron. I've always had it in the back of my mind that anyone interested in seeing more of my stuff could PM me, or follow my profile, but your point is well taken. Btw, you a Dream Theater fan? I think I've known only one other person besides myself into their music, and he MAY have posted on this thread already.

-Mark(in full attendance mode)