Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Main problem with comics in Walmart!

I recieved this in an e-mail from CBG. This was one of the problems that I saw with putting any material in a Walmart or even a grocery store. Now granted this is in Arkansas and their might be a lot more potential tight asses, but.. If retailers are leary or even unsure of what to put out there for the public, for fear of lawsuites and repercussions from all those "I'm to busy with my own life to police or watch over my kids, so you f*ckin do it!" parents out there. They want to ignore their kids until junior gets a shot Catwoman in her underpanties. I put some of the discussion here but I'm linking the whole thing. Just for the record I've always felt that Spawn is not a kids comic. I don't give a shit how many action figures you put out. Women with nipple protrusion and child molesters do not belong in a kids comic.
Quote:
Better sellers are the Archies, with Sonic doing mid-range Marvel and DC numbers. Part of the reason that they're such solid sellers for me is because I'm one of the few places left in the whole state where they're sold. Unlabeled Mature product being shipped to the shelves of mass outlets, and the subsequent parental complaints, has kiboshed comics racks at grocery stores and everywhere else where they were once easily found. Even Wal-Mart won't sell comics in the state of Arkansas. People come in all the time and tell me that "I thought they quit making comics!"

I thought they quit making comics. How scary is that?
Here's the link:
http://www.cbgxtra.com/default.aspx?...5&postid=12467
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
Mwynn
On THE EDGE

Mwynn has disabled reputation

Walmart carries comics?

The Edge Online

The Edge Facebook
Mwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwynn
Walmart carries comics?
I know ours did here at one time. But then again we also have old rubber tires made into flower pots in our front yards. Not quite sure why they pulled them or quit selling them here. I think in some of the Super Walmarts, in the magazine sections, had them to.
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Mwynn
On THE EDGE

I see the trades on the website. Yet not one comic ever in a Walmart.

The Edge Online

The Edge Facebook
Old 06-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #5
Shishio

Shishio is on a distinguished road

I've seen comics in Wla-Mart as well, years ago. It was when Dragonball Z was really popular. They had a bunch of Viz published DBZ issues. I remember feeling dread, because I knew that a lot of parents would pick up the comics for their kids, thinking they were just adaptations of the harmless T.V. show. But unlike the T.V. show, the comics weren't edited.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
j giar
Has nothing to add.

Are they still in Toy'R'Us? I know years ago you could buy a three pack..or was that at Walmart?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Scribe

Scribe is on a distinguished road

People shop at Wal-Mart?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
Mwynn
On THE EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe
People shop at Wal-Mart?
Hell yeah.

The Edge Online

The Edge Facebook
Old 06-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
j giar
Has nothing to add.

That's where I'm standing right now!!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
theflash
Cary Kelley

theflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to behold

if we dont hit walmart once a day something isnt going right it seems. drives me crazy but there it is. i have thought as well about trying to get comics into walmarts but the door is shut pretty tight.

another place you might consider are Hastings stores. they have just revamped their comics section and might be open to stocking indy books. they made a killing with the sin city reissue and i guess it woke them up.

The Dynagirl Webcomic is FREE!
Red Handed Studios! l Blog
theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
danedawg99
the Dawg-father

danedawg99 will become famous soon enoughdanedawg99 will become famous soon enough

wal-marts here had the serenity movie tie-ins from dark horse. but that's it.
danedawg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

A couple of the Wal-Marts around here (out of about 7 or 8 in a 30 mile radius) carried quite a few comics at one time not too long ago, but recently I haven't found any. Kroger still carries some of the Marvel, DC and Archie stuff and occasionally an Image or Dark Horse title. They were carrying Wizard as well, but I haven't seen it for a few months.
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #13
innocentboy

innocentboy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by j giar
I recieved this in an e-mail from CBG. This was one of the problems that I saw with putting any material in a Walmart or even a grocery store. Now granted this is in Arkansas and their might be a lot more potential tight asses, but.. If retailers are leary or even unsure of what to put out there for the public, for fear of lawsuites and repercussions from all those "I'm to busy with my own life to police or watch over my kids, so you f*ckin do it!" parents out there. They want to ignore their kids until junior gets a shot Catwoman in her underpanties. I put some of the discussion here but I'm linking the whole thing. Just for the record I've always felt that Spawn is not a kids comic. I don't give a shit how many action figures you put out. Women with nipple protrusion and child molesters do not belong in a kids comic.
Quote:
Better sellers are the Archies, with Sonic doing mid-range Marvel and DC numbers. Part of the reason that they're such solid sellers for me is because I'm one of the few places left in the whole state where they're sold. Unlabeled Mature product being shipped to the shelves of mass outlets, and the subsequent parental complaints, has kiboshed comics racks at grocery stores and everywhere else where they were once easily found. Even Wal-Mart won't sell comics in the state of Arkansas. People come in all the time and tell me that "I thought they quit making comics!"

I thought they quit making comics. How scary is that?
Here's the link:
http://www.cbgxtra.com/default.aspx?...5&postid=12467
just wanted to drop a comment on that ...

granted i don't have kids, so i can't speak from experience, but it IS a world where things are constantly changing. i mean, now both parents are ussually working (and working longer hours at that), and it's often not out of choice. considering things like the economy, and that there are more single parents now then ever ... parents can't watch thier kids 24/7

and again, yeah, i don't have kids so i'm not speaking from experience, just from observation.

not saying that parents don't have a responsibility with thier kids, just saying that the finger can't all be pointed in just 1 direction

"NICE ARTWORK. I RESPECT YOUR TALENT ... REAL RECOGNIZE REAL" - Ill Bill

"NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee

"CHECK THIS BOOK OUT" - Newsarama.com

SONG OF SONGS THE COMIC BOOK
www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com

Last edited by innocentboy; 06-18-2006 at 05:59 AM.
innocentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:09 AM   #14
MrGranger
I'm really Richard Corben

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

The big issue with these stores is that they buy their comics from distributors that require 365 day 100% returns. That's why you don't see DC and Marvel jumping up and down for the newstands.

Imagine what 6 months of a 15,000 unit order is like.

Now imagine what it's like six months later to get 90,000 copies back. WITH a bill for shipping them to you.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #15
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

1) They don't ship them back, they jus return the covers as proof of destruction
2) Returns are usually about 35-55% but the discount is much lower about 25-35% off cover.
3) You get paid a small percentage up front. Then a payment after 3 months and then a final settlement after 9-12 months. The real problem most comic publishers have is being able to float that long and then maybe having to pay some back because they were overpaid along the way.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote